Maternal & Child Community
University of Alabama Diet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

University of Alabama Diet

this is the diet i mentioned yesterday. this is exactly how it is typed up on the paper i was given.

University of Alabama Diet

First Day                
Breakfast- black coffe or tea, 1/2 grapefruit or juice, 1 slice of toast, i tablespoon peanut butter

Lunch-1/2 cup of tuna 1 slice of toast or cheese

Dinner- 2 slices meat(anykind), 1 cup string beans, 1 cup beets or carrots, 1 small apple and 1 cup vanilla ice cream

Second Day
Breakfast- black coffee or tea, 1 egg, 1 slice toast, 1/2 banana

Lunch- 1/2 cup tuna or 1 cup cottage cheese, 5 saltine crackers

Dinner- 2 weiners, 1 cup broccoli or cabbage, 1/2 cup carrots or turnips, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream

Third Day
Breakfast-black coffee or tea, 5 saltine crackers, 1 slice cheddar cheese

Lunch-1 hard boiled egg, 1 slice toast, coffee or tea

Dinner- 1 cup tuna, 1 cup beets or carrots, 1 cup cauliflower or green beans, 1 cup cantaloupe and 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream.

This diet causes a chemical breakdown and is proven to work. Do Not vary or substitute any of the food. salt and pepper may be used but no other seasoning. this diet is to be used 3 days at a time. In three days you can lose ten pounds. After three days of dieting you can eat your usual food, but don't over eat.  after four days of normal eating, start back on your three day diet. This is used at Birmingham Alabama Cardiac Unit for patients who need to lose lots of weight in a hurry before having heart surgery. You could lose up to forty pounds per month.
Does this really work I dont think it does. Does it?
it actually does work. i lost 7 pounds the one week i was able to do it before i got pregnant.
This one has been around for years in slightly different forms.  Its usually named for different "Universities".

Of course it'll work to get some water weight off, but when you go off, it will come right back.  Soon enough you'll get sick of repeating it.  

It will not work in the long run.  There was a variation of it from "The Mayo Clinic" but in no way is this diet endorsed by ANY "university".  

hrm. that's stinks. i actually got this from a cardiologist.
You mean you made an appt. with a real, live cardiologist and he handed you a copy of this diet and said it was from the University of Alabama?  
OK I AM COFUSED NOW. SO IT REALLY DOESNT WORK???
3 Day Diet
The 3-Day Diet focuses on mixing certain types of foods that supposedly create a specific metabolic reaction in your body. The chemicals are supposed to boost your metabolism and help you burn fat at a higher rate than usual. The diet only lasts for 3 days and should only be repeated after taking four to five days off. The specific portions need to be followed by the book, or you may not achieve the results that the creators of the diet claim are possible.

A Very Regimented Meal Plan
Breakfast on the first day begins with coffee (no sugar), one half a grapefruit, and a piece of toast with 1 Tbsp peanut butter. For lunch, you are allowed a can of tuna, a piece of toast, and black coffee. Dinner consists of 3 ounces of chicken or lean meat, a cup of green beans, one cup of carrots, one apple, and one cup of regular vanilla ice cream. The other two days of the diet are relatively similar in meal quantity, though the specifics change, e.g. Day 2 recommends two beef franks for dinner in place of three ounces of lean meat. The diet claims that weight loss of 10 pounds is achievable over the 3 days that the diet lasts.

Quite simply, the 3-Day Diet is a very poor choice for anyone looking to lose weight. Claims that the diet works because of a "unique metabolic reaction" created by food combination are unfounded. The only reason that a person on this diet would lose weight is due to the severe calorie restriction. Because of the low amount of carbohydrate in the diet, it is also possible that a person on this diet will primarily lose water weight, as carbohydrate encourages your body to retain water, which is healthy and necessary. As soon as the dieter goes back to eating a normal diet and consuming a normal amount of carbohydrate, this water weight will be gained back. The 3-Day Diet is an excellent example of a "yo-yo" diet that never educates the dieter on how to achieve sustainable, healthy weight loss. There are numerous alternatives to the 3-Day Diet that are much healthier, and will produce better results.

yep, a real live cardiologist.

he was checking me to evaluate for a family history of mitro valve prolapse. i was having some palpitations and got a work up. the topic of my only potential risk being my extra weight was brought up.

he told his nurse to get a copy of "the diet" for me. never told me it was from anywhere, that's just what is typed across the top of the paper i have.i actually typed it word for word. lol

he did tell me that i should not use it for longer than a month since i only needed to drop about 20-25 pounds.

it's funny, there are a million versions of the same thing out there.

so you really think this is yet another short term thing? that blows.

guess i will just have to stick to the whole watching what i eat thing....bleh
Although the New Mayo Clinic Diet has spread like wilfdfire and is responsible for millions of kilos in weightloss,
the Mayo Clinic reports it, "did not originate at the Mayo Clinic," nor is it, "approved by Mayo Clinic."
Here's the diet:

The New Mayo Clinic Diet  

BREAKFAST:
1/2 grapefruit or 8oz unsweetened juice.
2 Eggs any style
2 Slices of bacon
Black coffee or tea, no sugar

LUNCH:
Salad and or raw veggies (any dressing, {not low fat or fat free})
Meat (Cooked any way)

DINNER:
Meat (cooked any way) Vegetables (any green or red, may be cooked in butter or Seasoning or a salad as above) Black coffee or tea, no sugar

BEDTIME:
(opt) 8oz Tomato juice or skim milk

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. At any meal you may eat until you are full. You must eat the minimum listed at each meal.
2. Do not eliminate anything from the diet. It is the combination of foods that stimulates Lipolysis (fat burning).
3. The grapefruit is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process.
4. Cut down on coffee, it affects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. Try to limit to one cup each meal.
5. Don't eat between meals, if you eat the combination of food suggested, you will not get hungry.
6. The diet may eliminate sugars and starches. Fat does not form fat, it helps burn it, so you can fry food in butter and use butter generously on vegetables.
7. Do not eat desserts, breads and white vegetables or sweet potatoes. You may double or triple helpings of meat, salads or vegetables. Eat until you are truly full. The more you eat the more weight you will lose.
8. There may be no weight loss in the first 4 days, but you may lose 5 pounds on the 5th day. You may lose 1 and 1/2 pounds every two days until you reach your goal.
9. DRINK AT LEAST EIGHT FULL GLASSES OF WATER EVERY DAY!
THIS DIET IS REPORTED TO BE GIVEN TO HEART PATIENTS NEEDING TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST FOR BY-PASS SURGERY.

This is what I found online about the diet. I copied and pasted the article and also the link to the site.  I knew it sounded too good to be true!

http://www.health.uab.edu/default.aspx?pid=63320  

Diet (Birmingham Heart Diet)
Dear Doctor Column, December 8, 2003

"Heart diet" Not Affiliated With Hospital, Potentially Harmful
Question:

I am seeking information on the 3-day weight-loss diet developed at UAB hospital for cardiac patients who need to lose weight quickly. It's my understanding that the diet is 3 days on and 4 days off. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Answer:

This potentially harmful fad diet has been circulating for years under various titles, including the "Birmingham Heart Hospital Diet" and the "Cardiac Unit of UAB Hospital Diet," which implies that the diet plan is affiliated with UAB Hospital. Nothing could be further from the truth, yet we receive several requests for this "diet" a year.

The 1-page diet plan, which is followed for 3 days with no substitutions, promises a 10-pound weight loss. For the following 4 days, you return to your usual foods, and back on the diet for another 3 days, and so on. The diet claims you can lose up to 40 pounds in a month.

Foods listed on the diet include those of the healthy variety, such as broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, apples, and tuna fish, but it also includes high-fat foods, such as hot dogs, vanilla ice cream, and peanut butter, in abundance.

The diet has no basis in scientific fact for its claims. Registered dietitians point out, however, that since it includes only 1,200 calories, weight loss can occur, if you have been consuming about 1,800 calories or more each day before starting the diet. Also, should you drop 10 pounds in a week, you can rest assured you are primarily losing water and some muscle tissue but very little fat.

The diet is high in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol - the main dietary culprits related to heart disease. It also is high in sodium and low in whole grains.

Furthermore, the diet is rigid with few food choices and seems to imply that there is a magical quality to the foods, timing of eating, and food combinations. It does not establish healthful eating habits to promote weight management for a healthy life. Additionally, the diet does not address exercise, an essential component of any effective weight management program.

This plan contradicts accepted nutritionally adequate and desirable weight-loss plans that emphasize a diet rich in whole grains, moderate in protein, and low in fat. And, nutrient needs for iron and calcium are lacking, among others.

Any time a diet promotes an unhealthy weight loss (more than 2 pounds a week) or eliminates certain food groups, be wary. Odds are it is not healthy, and any weight loss is bound to be short-lived.

As we have stressed over the 18 years we have published this column, the secret to losing weight is to ease into new eating and exercising habits you can stick with. Maintaining a balanced, low-fat diet (including eating five or more servings of vegetables and fruits a day), shedding excess pounds slowly, increasing your level of physical activity, and becoming aware of the cues that stimulate inappropriate eating are the keys to success.
Using dieting pills is injurious to health.so in my point of view stop it now.

the grapefruit diet