Maternal & Child Community
Update - 6 wk u/s but too slow heart rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I posted here last week looking for advice.  Thanks to everyone who offered there thoughts and wishes.  I'd gone in for an u/s on 1/10/06 thinking I was 6.5 weeks, but the technician saw no baby & I only measured 5 wks.  (This pregnancy occured my first period after a m/c).  I had my f/u on Friday 1/17 and saw a baby! He (or she) measured 6.3 weeks now but had a very slow heart rate, only 92.  My dr said that about 40% of babies in this situation will make it, 60% will result in m/c.  I haven't had any spotting or cramps, and will have a 3rd u/s this Friday in which they want his lil heart rate to be up to 130-140.  
Has this happened to anyone, or have you heard of it, and what were the outcomes? Everyone here seems to have so much knowledge on the subject and I feel like I trust you more than random internet sites already! Thanks for any input!
hi there,
i am sorry you are going through this but on a positive note i have been through the very same thing. i went for an u/s at 7 weeks due to getting pregnant right after a miscarriage, before i had another period. anyway the heartbeat at that time was in the 90's, same as yours, but i am now 38 weeks sheduled to be induced this thursday. i can't say how your situation will turn out but i wanted to give you a ray of hope. you could very well go onto carry full term or if its not meant to be well then my heart goes out to you. please stay positive and try and relax, i know easier said than done, but please try. also please keep us informed as i will be praying for you. lots of sticky baby dust to you******************
tiffany
this little fighter already made an appearance after one early and scary us.  there is a chance he/she will show everyone up again.  :)  keep hoping, as this could be just one of the worries you will have for the next 50 years.  :)  good luck and sticky baby dust.
First, thanks to everyone who responded!

Pmom- Do you remember when the babies heart rate went up? Or did it stay low? My nurse advised I should hope for it to be 130-140 this next u/s. Was that where your lil guy (girl?) was at by your next f/u? Thanks for sharing!!
that heart rate dosent seem that un reasonable best of luck im sure everything will be fine.
At 7 weeks with my first baby I started spotting so went in for a sono and the heartrate was in the 90's. They said it looked like I was probably only 6 weeks. I didn't have a sono till 18 weeks after that one so obviously they weren't concerned and I didn't know enough to be concerned back then. I had a healthy baby girl.
well i had a follow up a week  later and her heart rate was in the 120's. i hope you have the same result. i wish you all the best.
tiffany
HI. I'M SORT OF GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING. I JUST WENT THIS PAST WED. FOR AN ULTRASOUND AND WAS TOLD THE HEART RATE WAS ONLY 66BPM. THE DOCTOR SAID THE NUMBERS WERE STACKED AGAINST THIS LITTLE ONE. ALL MY LEVELS HAVE BEEN OFF. HCG NOT GOING UP AS FAST AS THEY WOULD LIKE. PROGESTERONE PRETTY LOW AND I'VE HAD SPOTTING FOR OVER A WEEK. NO FETAL TISSUE AND NO CRAMPING. I GO BACK ON TUESDAY TO HAVE ANOTHER U/S AND BLOOD WORK. I HAVE FELT FROM THE BEGINNING THAT THINGS WERE NOT RIGHT WITH THIS PREGNANCY. I JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE NORMAL SYMPTOMS. I HAVE THEM NOW BUT I THINK IT'S BECAUSE OF THE PROMETRIUM I'M ON.
I PRAY THINGS GO WELL FOR YOU. YOU DON'T APPEAR TO BE HAVING ALL THE RED FLAGS THAT I AM HAVING. I HAVE READ SEVERAL POST OF FETAL HEART RATES WHERE YOURS IS WITH GOOD RESULTS. IN MY CASE I JUST CONTINUE TO SAY "THE LORD GIVETH AND THE LORD TAKETH AWAY. BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!" I ALREADY HAVE FOUR BIRTH CHILDREN AND TWO ADOPTED. I'M ONLY 33 YEARS OLD, SO I HAVE ALREADY BEEN GIVEN MORE THAN I DESERVE. PRAYERS FOR YOU ALL!
My prayers are with you.  I went through the same thing earlier this month.  My baby measured 6weeks 2days on Feb 14, although I should have been 8 weeks pregnant based on LMP, and the heart rate was slow (104 bpm).  My hcg levels were going up slowly and I had a little bit of spotting. On Feb 17 I had another ultrasound and there was no longer a heart beat, although I still had no cramping or bleeding. I had what they call a missed miscarriage and required a D&C.  This is my second miscarriage, but I also have one healthy 2 year old, so don't give up hope.  My thoughts are with you.  Let me know how things work out for you.
Hi Gavs Mom - 1st of all, so sorry you are going thru this - I know how scary it is as I am going thru the same thing myself!  How did your ultrasound go yesterday?????  I had one (vaginal) Wednesday 2/22 and they saw a 3mm embryo dated 5w6d and thte heart rate was only 70 bpm!!!!  When I read any other post anywhere this is always a sign of inpending miscarriage so I am preparing myself for the worst.  Please post again with your results!  I pray that your little peanut survived and will be a healthy baby in about 7 1/2 months!  I am praying for you!  Love Gigi
Hello- First time in one of these dicussions. I just went through this very thing- was looking online for some information and found you. We have had 3 miscarriages already- this time when I discovered I was pregnant I got on progestrone and asprin daily- changed my routine- did everything "right", I thought. Went in for Beta tests- the hormones were really low, but doubling. Had an u/s at 7 weeks- they said there was no fetus to be seen- discovered I have a bicornuate uterus, and it was possibly ectopic. Great visit. Stuff nightmares are made of. They said I measured at 5 weeks- not 7.  We went back 10 days later- and to my surprise a heartbeat waited for us. We got a printout of the baby. So excited. I truly believed it was all gonna work out. But it was still 2 wks small and the heartbeat was slower than it should be. I went in 7 days later (this wednesday) for the follow up u/s and the heartbeat was gone. And the baby still measured at 6 weeks/2 days like the week before- so it had abviously died some time the night of the ultrasound.

I guess I'm not trying to tell you "doomsday" but you need to prepare yourself for both situations. The docs always say, "Don't worry- we're just going to wait and see" but in the end- YOU are you the one who has to go through the emotions and the physical pain of a loss. Prepare yourself. Don't get too caught up in "hope" and wishes. I saw that heartbeat- and really believed it was going to be ok this time. But listen to your body- mine was telling me that it wasn't working out. But I ignored it.

Just a thought- I hope all goes well for you. Really I do. Someone deserves to have a good ending. :-) My best to you.
Hello GAVS MOM,

Please let me know how your u/s went also I had one done on 2/27 and the hb was 105 I was 6 weeks 1 day measuring exact for how far along I was hcg numbers doublig every 3-4 days hope that is normal Dr did not seemed concerned as long as it was over 100 and not under that is when they worry I go on Tuesday of next week 3/7 which then I will be 7 weeks 4 days hope its little flicker is still there. I get concerned because I just had a d/c on Jan 11th and got pregnant right away without having a period so there is a big fear there I also do not have much symptoms I get hungry but no m/s and I have been getting growing pains and a little tingle at times in the breast I wish I could feel th symptoms so I could feel more pregnant. But hey no sogns is a great feeling also I hate m/s but maybe I am speaming to soon cause I am only 6 weeks I will probably get it 8 weeks or do .Well keep me informed cause I am in the same situation.I am due 10-20
Hi everybody,
I have a similar situation.  This is my first pregnancy and I went in for an ultrasound yesterday and measured 6w, 6d but the heart rate was only 90bpm. My husband and I didn't really know what to think. The ultrasound tech. only said "it may be ok", sometimes babies still make it through a slow heart rate.  That wasn't very comforting.  I've been spotting all along but mostly brown which I guess is better than red.  I haven't had my hcg levels taken recently, so hopefully my doc. will order more tests. I'm glad I can share this with you and I'll keep you posted.  How are you doing gavsmom??
I am in the same boat.  I went yesterday to the doctor for a transvaginal ultrasound.  It showed I was 5 weeks 4 days and the hb was only in the mid 80's.  If I do have a m/c it will be my third.  I am scared and keep reading all of the percentages that indicate I will loose this one as well.  I go back in 1 week to see if the hb increased or if there is one at all.
It looks like we might be going through the same thing.  Are you scared?   What have you found out?  I am only reading negative things.
you guys just need to stay strong your babies are just getting thee hb and that rate is not that bad also they might not have got the doppler on the heart correct because it is so small and so hard to get so stay strong and keep your hopes up. I had and u/s at 6 weeks and it was 105 then I had anu/s at 6 weeks 4 days and it was 125 so it was a bigger baby and it was easier to see the heart to get a good reading.I would not worry it will just make it harder on you and the baby leave it in gods hands he will guide you.
I'm glad that I found this site, it looks like a lot of you have been thru the same worries that I'm going thru right now.  I'd like your thoughts on my situation (if you don't mind)...
LMP: Jan 2, 2006
Postive HPT: Jan 25
At my first dr appt on March 1st we got an u/s and the dr said  that the baby was measuring smaller than it should for the size of the gestational sac and that the h/b was really slow.  He manually counted the h/b by watching the u/s screen and said it was around 70-80 bpm.  Then told us that this was not good and would probably end in miscarriage.  He did want my HCG levels checked which I did on Wed and Fri.  Wed's results were 258,412 and he said this was probably a sign of chromosome abnormalities (ie downs) and that I could either wait for my m/c to happen naturally or I could schedule a d/c.  He said that checking HCG on Fri would probably not tell us anything but I did it anyway and they were up to 288,636.  I have a 2nd opinion scheduled for Mar 8 and also another u/s w/ the 1st dr on Mar 10.  The u/s did not show sign of multiples (which run in my family), but I was wondering about a partial molar pg.  Would the embryo develop enough to have a h/b w/ a partial molar?  This dr has me freaked out and expecting that I'm going to lose this baby any day now.  Any input would be appreciated.
Your levels are normal for a 8-10 weeks pregnancy I do no think he is accurate by counting an not putting an actual doppler on your babies hb. I was 6 weeks 4 days and my levels were 34087 so I do not know what they are now.I am now 7 weeks .Keep your head up
I did start to have some spotting today at work (red blood), but also had a better conversation with the dr.  He said that although he is not quite "cautiously optomistic" these situations have turned out for the better (not often, but they have).  I still have my 2nd u/s scheduled for this Friday (10th), but he said that if I have any heavy bleeding or cramping to call and they will see me sooner.  I'm not sure if I am going to go to my 2nd opinion appt on Wed or not.  They did not sound very accomodating, and my appt was only supposed to be w/ a nurse for medical history, etc.

My manager is on vacation so I had to tell the owner of the company (who didn't know I was pregnant) what was going on and that I couldn't work tomorrow (I'm off on Wed anyway).  So I have a couple of days that I can relax and try to keep myself on "bedrest".
Yes, I am nervous, but after my u/s my doc. was very positive and wasn't diagnosing a definite m/c.  She said the fetus is just learning how to beat its heart so it may be slow also the u/s tech. may not have gotten a good reading b/c it was so small.  I go back for another u/s in 2 weeks, so until then I'm trying to stay positive.  I don't think it will help us or our little ones if we worry constantly.  My thoughts and prayers are with you, good luck on your next u/s. When is it the 10th?  Keep me posted.
what was the heart beat at the next visit
my lasy comments was to gavsmom...sorry for not directing
Hey- Great website.  I have been spotting since before I found out I was preg.  I am now 6 weeks today preg.  I went last week and did blood work.  My HCG levels did not rise but 6,000 pts, but they were high,  19,950.  I had an ultrasound done this Tuesday and they found a heartbeat (123BPM) and the tech said everything looked great, my problem is all the spotting.  It just will not quit.  I spotted brown blood this morning.  Dr said old blood, to watch it, if it gets worse call them back.  This waiting is driving my insane.  I want to know why I continue to bleed.  Any suggestions to ease my mind.
Am supposed to be 7 weeks, went for u/s and measured 6 weeks 2 days with heart rate of 114.  Tech says normal, ob says low.  any similar stats??
Hi I am new to this site.  I went to get an U/S today and I left alittle worried.  My lmp puts me at 7 wks 2days but the u/s measured me at 6 weeks 4 days and also gave me a low h/b for baby- it was 100 bpm on the first try and 93 bpm on the second try.  The baby is very small only 3 mm and I have to go in again on 4/3/06 for another u/s.  After I left there I have done nothing but worry.  I finally decided to try and have another baby after loosing my daughter in the 28th week of pregnancy due to a blood clot.  I do have a wonderful 4 year old daughter who would like a brother or sister terribly.  I am 39 yrs old and am very concerned that I may have a m/c.  I have no cramping, I  did spot light pink about a week ago but it was only when I used the bathroom and nothing since.  I just don't know what to do I am very worried and scared I love this baby so much already.  Thanks for listening.
Well, here's an update I began spotting today and passed a few blood clots.  Called Dr and they said to take it easy and come in in the morning for a U/S.  Something tells me that it may not be good.  The bleeding has stopped and turned to brownish in color the last time I had any.  I don't really know if this is good or bad.  I wish if anyone was out there and is having the same experience to throw me a few comments that would be great.
sad in missouri
well, since no one sommented and I really couldn't find support, I went to my u/sand there was no heartbeat and I am scheduled for a d and c Thurs the 6th.  I won't ask for any words of encouragement becasue no one is reading this.

VERY SAD in Missouri
Hi Sad in Missouri.  I am new to this whole message board thing and you'll have to forgive me for not posting sooner.  I was browsing for some information today and stumbled across your posts and my heart just broke.  I just want you to know that I know exactly what you're going through.  Last July, I had a similar experience when I went in for an 8-week ultrasound (scheduled because I had experienced some spotting).  Baby measured at 6w5d with a heartbeat of 103.  One week later, no heartbeat--baby had died at 7w4d.  I too had a d&c and was absolutely devastated.  All I can say is that my heart goes out to you.  I know that I didn't feel much like talking about pregnancy for a month or two after my loss, so I don't know if/when you'll get this message.  I just want you to know that people do care and you're in my prayers.
Dear Sad
I was surfing today looking for information and came across this site.  I am in the exact same position you were in and while bracing myself for the worst am hoping for the best.  I m/c this time last year and know exactly what you are going through.  I am so sorry for your loss and wish you all the best of luck when trying again.  I'll be rooting for you!
Sincerely, Ryans Mommy in Toronto
I'm in the same situation as you.  My husband and I went to a perinatal doctor last week to hear the hearbeat and it was 94bpm.  At the time, I was told that I was 6 wks and 3 days.  I have a follow for viability on 04/21, and we're praying for the best.  I'm praying for you as well.  How did your last visit turn out if you don't mind me asking?  Anyone else in our situation?

Blessed wishes.
Edwards1
I am also waiting for a second scan (scheduled for 4/24).  We went in yesterdayand baby measured 5w3d (thought for sure I was at least 6w) with heart beat of 100bpm.  Doctor said it was a little slow and we won't know until the next scan.  It's so hard to wait.  We went through a miscarriage & d&c last July and a chemical pregnancy in November.  Right now I'm expecting the worst, but I can't help hoping for the best.  I'll be praying that both of our second scans have positive outcomes!
keep us posted on the appt.
Well, I have an update.  My u/s was bumped up from 4/24 to today (4/20) because of some spotting and the fact that my doc is going out of town for the next two weeks.  I tentatively scheduled a d&c for 4/21, positive there was no more baby.  I went for scan today and found that the baby has grown from 2mm to 3mm and heartbeat has increased from 100 to 119 since Monday.  Definitely not out of the woods, but feeling a little bit better for the time being.  That should last for about 24 hours before I start panicking again, right? :)  I have another scan on 5/2 to see if we're still viable and I know that anything could happen.  I'm praying for the best, though, and wish you all the very best.
Hi, I am about 7 weeks pregnant, and had a sonogram that revealed my embryo has a slow embryonic heart rate of 44 hbpm.  My doctor informed me that it was unlikley that this would have a positive outcome, and need to return to his consulting room for an update sonogram, to see if we still have a heart beat.  What was most depressing of all was, when the technitian enlarge the view of the embryo, and I could see the actual heart beating (very slow) I felt like reaching into the screen and try to help out!! It is a very bad feeling, especially when you are told that your baby is fighting for its life, and you have to wiat for it to misscarry, or for its heart to stop beating, and there is nothing I can do.
I doubt that it will survive, but God works miracles, and I am hoping for one.
Just needed a shoulder or two (or all) to cry on!!
I am so sorry you are going through this.  I went through a similar situation last July and know how painful it is.  I will pray for the very best outcome for you.  My situation, unfortunately, ended in a d&c and I remember being so angry and heart-broken, but somehow I have healed.  Take care of yourself and keep us posted.
I went to the emergency room because of very light pink spotting on Thursday night.  The doctor did a pelvic and said that he couldn't see any spotting or anything wrong.  He then did an u/s which showed me at 5 1/2 weeks the baby measured at R6mm.  The doctor said that the heart rate was kind of slow, but not to worry.  When the nurse came in she said that she had asked the doctor about it and she had thought that maybe since the fetus was so young that the heart was just starting to beat and that is why it is slower.  I did not get the exact heart rate, and they didn't act like I should get to an ob right away or anything.  I am going to call the ob tomorrow to get more information.  Is this something I should be worried about?
Sorry you are going through this uncertainty, too.  At 5w3d, my little one's heartrate was 100 (right on the borderline according to my doc).  At 5w6d, it had increased to 119.  At 8w1d it was 167 and I just heard it with a doppler yesterday (9w3d) and it was around 170-180.  So it definitely started out slow in my case and increased a lot over a couple of weeks.  I've still had a tiny bit of spotting (a little brown/pink first thing in the morning once every couple of weeks), so I'm still really nervous.  I had a missed miscarriage last July.  With that one the heartbeat was 103 at 6w5d and baby stopped growing at 7w5d.  With my son (now a healthy 3 year old), his heartbeat was 127 at 6w3d.  Good luck and let me know how it goes.  It's so hard to tell this early on, but I hope you feel better knowing that it is normal to have a slower heartbeat this early on.  Let me know how it goes when you talk to your ob!