Maternal & Child Community
Update on My 16 yr old daughter's Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Well, we didn't have to worry about calling the doctor this morning, she called us first thing and had us in her office by early afternoon. Thank God she at least is nice enough to allow me in there. What she told us is that it's the heart that has the abnormality. As for the "2 of something", that was actually 3. What they were referring to is the 3 vascular tubes that runs from the placentia thru the umbilical cord, and to the baby. One of those is apparently missing.
The Dr. however, informed us that this is not rare and is nothing major to be concerned about.
As for his heart, it apparently has a "hole" in it as far as they can tell. However, because this was just a routine u/s, she could not give many details aboput it, or how serious it is.
We now have to wait to go to another city where there is a hospital that specializes in cardiology, to have another u/s performed.
So, now I guess I will ask if anyone has ever been through anything like this. Any input will help. We are both still REALLY worried.
Thank you all for reading this and for any comments you may have.
The best thing to do would be for her to order a fetal echo at which point they can dx whether it is a ventral septal defect or an atrial. The good news is that a majority of those close on their own by the time the baby is 6 mos old. My oldest had a ventral septal defect (hole in his heart) and we closely monitored it and at 6 mos it was closing on its own. It is one of the most common cardiac anomolies and as I mentioned it tends to heal itself.

Try not to stress out, just make sure they keep monitoring it.

Andi
as far as the 2 vessel cord goes, the dr. is right.. these are very common and non problematic.  So relax there.. the hole in the heart has a lot of questions that go along with it..  How big is it, where is it, how likely is it to close on its own??? i would prepare if i were you by researching this problem and see what solutions are available.  As far as the whole dr. situation goes, if your daughter wants you in there, there should be no issue with that.. she is underage..

Be persistant.. :)

GOOD luck and i hope your grandson turns out to be just perfect despite these "rough" beginnings.. :)
I'm sorry you & dd are so worried.My son now eleven was born with a heart murmer,I dont know if this is related but we did'nt find out till birth.He was closly moniterd and were told that it would close on its own.At almost a month it did.My thought are with you.Nanis
My step-son was born with a hole in his heart.  Before the age of age of 2 he underwent 4 major open heart surgeries that saved his life!  He is now 10yrs old in the 5th grade.  He will be on heart medicine for the rest of his life he has the scars of an open heart patient but it doesn't faze him they're normal to him.  He has to be limited with sports and activities but he still plays street hockey and rides his bike like a pro.  Depending on all the info regarding your grandbaby it may not be as in depth as what my DH went thru but again you don't know until the baby is born.  Don't forget there are miracles of cures as the fetus continues to grow-keep your chin up it will all work out :)
My daughter had a 2 vessel umbilical cord. The only thing my Dr. suggested was that I be induced a little early to avoid her becoming malnutritioned in the last couple of weeks. She had no problems because of it.
As for baby's heart, it is true that some of these things heal themselves, and some don't. She will probably get a fetal echocardiogram (ultrasound especially detailing baby's heart)done to show the problem in more detail, and to give the outlook/prognosis.
That's why I stated this in my comment:

"Depending on all the info regarding your grandbaby it may not be as in depth as what my DH went thru"

Meaning each case is different-not terrifying just telling OUR story sorry to offend.  She asked if anyone has gone thru this
MY DH HAS :(
Now remember, it is far more common for them to close on their own than for surgery to be required. Only time will tell, no amount of testing now will let you know the outcome down the road as far as whether or not this will require surgery. Be wary of reading too much online, people have a habit of forgetting how much their words can terrify.

Andi
i was born with a hole in my heart and it healed before i even left
i hear its actually common seeing that all my doctors know i had it and dont say anything about it and some of my friends were born with it too
Same goes for my brother.  He had a hole in his heart, dr's were talking about surgery...he went in for his next appt (still under 6 months old I think), and it had closed.  I've heard of it happening a few times.  Best of luck!