Maternal & Child Community
Upper Back Pain??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Upper Back Pain??

Hello All, I am 35 weeks pregnant and was wondering if it was normal to have upper back pain?  I have been suffering with it for about 2 weeks now.  It comes and goes, but mostly comes.  I always thought of back pain to be in the lower back, of course I have that too. But, here lately, it has been in the upper back. When I say upper, I mean from where my bra strap is and up.  What can cause that pain?  And what can I do about it? I never have had any of this with my other pregnancies, so that is why I was a little concerned.  Of course, I always think that worse of everything....like it could be my heart.  I am kinda a hypochondriac.  But that is another story.  So, has anyone ever had this, too?  Thanks.
Your whole back is connected, so if your lower back is strained by the pregnancy, so is your upper.  As we age, our muscles and ligaments are less able to support our spines, and so come the aches and pains.  If you are not exercising, some stretches and wall pushups might help a lot.  I swear by my yoga classes to keep my back stretched out and strong.
I am 31 weeks and my upper back hurts too.  Posture has a lot to do with it.  I also have a pain below my bra strap on the left front.  My back and rib pain goes away when I set or stand up straight.  I feel like I am pushing my boobs and belly out but it feels better.
As your chest grows, it is bound to happen : ) Just take note of the specifics of the pain as it can sometimes be something else. If it does seem more muscular, it is probably your growing chest and posture : )

Andrea
Mine Began at 26 weeks, and was deeply routed to the "prefered sleeping position". Yes it can resemble heart attack or stroke. One night, this simple stretch saved me from a visit to the Hospital.  Put a pillow on the floor infront of a couch and kneel on it. Put the full weight of your chest onto the couch and place your arms in an "under arrest" position.  It might hurt like hell at first but remain there for 5-15 min.  Your body will relax.  Lastly, VISIT a Chiropractor!  I never used to think they were a good idea but desperate times warrant desperate measures.  It really urkes me that this complaint doesn't make the list!  So Please spread the word of its existance !

Carlene

Carlene