Maternal & Child Community
Used monistat...now won't stop burning!! HELP!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So I went to my OB today because of the itching I have been experiencing down there and I was told the BV completely cleared and it could be a very mild yeast infection. So the nurse told me to get monistat 7 and use the cream on the outside, not the inside. She told me to use just a tiny bit to test it first and then to use it every night. Well I tried a TINY bit and it burns like you wouldn't believe!!! I was bawling my eyes out because it won't stop burning. Why did I have a reaction like this?? I jumped right in the shower and used cool water on the area and it didn't make much of a difference. I am now not moving for fear of irritating it again and about to get in the shower again. I was feeling much better today and shouldn't have used anything, but the nurse told me to use it so whatever it is would go away. But good grief....this stinkin' hurts!!! Anyone ever have a reaction like this?? Every couple of minutes it just burns, like shooting pains. I wish I hadn't used it..this feeling could make a person go mental....this is the first time I have ever tried this stuff. AHHHHHH
Oh and I am almost 31 weeks.
I have never had a reaction like that but at 25ish weeks I have BV and then a couple weeks later went back in and had a yeast infection-  I know you have been having other problems, which is maybe why she said no to the internal application-  but I was allowed to use it inside too---  my guess would be that you have been irritated down there because of the BV and now yeast and you have probably itched it and it is a little raw-  and that stuff does burn a little (on me) when I first apply it until the yeast infection clears up-  I would see your doctor again-  you shouldn't have to just leave with the irritation of the yeast infection- perhaps she can suggest something else!  Poor thing!  almost there and you can hold that sweet little baby in your arms!  
Thanks tator. Yea, she didn't want me to do the internal application for fear of irritating the cervix too much. So they have the external cream in the box and I used just a tiny bit and boy...it was bad. Was I suppose to use the internal cream on the outside?? I guess I should have had the nurse clarify that..I will ask tomorrow.
It just now has calmed down. I was seriously about to go insane. I'm thinking it's raw as well and that's why it burned so much. I mean I expected it to burn for a bit...but not for that long. I am going to call them first thing tomorrow and not use it until I speak to them.
You are so sweet! And thanks for responding...this is so embarrassing to me. I know..I cannot wait to just hold my precious baby and forget about all of the stuff I went through to just hold this baby! =)
yeah-  I know that feeling of embassassment,  but we all experience it...  so I wouldn't worry about that-  I am not sure if the creams are the same or not-  that is a good question to ask-  I would think perhaps the regular cream on the exterior would be better,  I think the other stuff is anti-itch stuff,  but I might be wrong!  Good luck!  
I agree with tator, take the cream that comes in the applicator and use that on the outside.  I'm sorry girl, I know how it is to suffer from yeast infections.  It's not easy.
I have had a reaction like this from a vaginal itch cream and it burned like anything to where i was crying and the severity of the pain actually made me gag a bit.  When it finally stopped burning like crazy it actually worked and yes i did use it several more times because each time for the same infection the burning got less and less and it did take care of the itch.  when i went to use it several months later for a new infection, it burned just as bad again.  thank goodness i have not had to use it since.
Yea I was thinking the cream that is suppose to go on the inside, is the one I was supposed to use. I did use it once and it didn't burn, but didn't stop the irritation or soothe it in any way. Today it is better and I am just trying to let it heal at this point. I am afraid to use anything now. I also forgot to call my OB yesterday...they were only open for a couple of hours and I missed them again!! So I am going to try to call now and see what they say. I just don't want to go through that torture again...I was crying and even after I washed it off it continued to burn for a couple of hours. My mom has this cream she used when she kept getting yeast infections and I used it twice and it actually helped me a lot! I just don't know if it's safe to use while pregnant, but since it just goes on the outside, I didn't think it would be a problem. I'm just glad that today is better. It is only irritated one small spot..so it's healing now. Thank you so much ladies!