Maternal & Child Community
Using Micronor while breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Using Micronor while breastfeeding

I have been prescribed Micronor by my doctor while I'm breast feeding and I'm not sure whether I should start taking it.  I'm wondering if someone can tell me how this works, taking a birth control pill while breast feeding.  I'm not sure how this works as I don't have a period as I'm still exclusively breast feeding and I don't want the birth control pill to cause me to start having my period.  How do you know when to start taking the pill when I don't have a period and has taking it caused anyone to start getting their period.  
I didn't like the idea of the mini-pill as it is very specific. Has to be the same time everyday, within 4 hours of expected intercourse, etc. I went on depo after having my first and didn't get my af back. I only took 2 doses, but still didn't get af until I was weaning.

Have you considered other forms of BC? Mirena, Copper IUD, condoms w/ foam, etc?
Okay, you have piqued my curiosity... what are condoms "w/foam"... I have never heard of the foam...
Foam is a spermicide that you can add to the condoms for even more protection.
My daughter debated using the mini-pill when she was breastfeeding and decided against it.  One, she was nervous about trusting it to work  and also it contains hormones and she was reluctant to risk any hormones getting into her baby through her milk.  There is concern about giving cow's milk from cows fed hormones to children so that made her think about hormones in her milk. I would think about using a barrier method birth control or an IUD and just put up with the inconvenience for the time you are nursing.  
i don't have an answer to your question, but i've decided not to do the mini-pill because we're afraid it will further suppress my practically non-existant sex drive. it can't afford to take another hit!
I took the mini-pill after my first dd.  It did not seem to have any affect on my milk production, and the baby was just fine.  I did not get pregnant either, so it was obviously did its job.  However, I am very prone to migraines, and I think it increased the amount of migraines I got.  So, this time around, I chose not to go on the pill.  I just have no interest in any of the hormone type birth control.  I do have a good friend who had her milk dry up while on the mini-pill, even though she was told that wouldn't happen.  
I'm on Micronor right now for the second time.  The first time was while I was nursing my oldest daughter.  I didn't get pregnant, so it seemed to work just fine.  I'm on it now while nursing my 7 month-old son.  This time it seems to be impacting my milk supply though.  I forgot to take my pill yesterday--extraordinarily unusual for me--and pumped almost twice as much milk as normal.  I'll see how I do today, and if there's a significant drop, I'm going to call my dr.  Also, the mini-pill won't make you get your period.  I was on it for almost a year with my dd before my period came back.
I am a pharmacist, and will stop counseling patients that the mini pill does not affect milk supply.  I am now nursing an 8-wk old, started the pill at 6 weeks, and have seen my milk supply split in half.  I am stopping it tomorrow.