Maternal & Child Community
Using a OPK as a HPT?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Using a OPK as a HPT?

Hello all... I am not exactly sure when my AF is due I think tommorrow? Anyways I have read before about using an OPK as a HPT but I know that it does not take place of a HPT.  Normally with  I know hoe to read a OPK test and a HPT any line is a line.  I took a OPK test and got a faint but definatly visably line.  I am sure that I am not O-ing... Should I take a HPT or just wait...The Anticipation is killing me.....
Jenny---

I think that happened to me....I took an OPK, thinking I was ovulating....a week later I had an HPT turn bright positive!

So, looking back, the OPK was not showing ovulation, but pregnancy!  I think it was a chemical pregnancy though, because blood test showed my HCG going down...  I still had traces of it last week...  and it's been over a month.

Anyway, if you're sure you're not oing, I'd take an HPT just to see!

Allison
Yes I have heard that you  can use an opk as an hpt and if it has a line I would take an hpt. good luck
Both times I was pg, I got a positive OPK, which gave me the signal to go get a HPT.  I have one healthy 11 month old, and unfortunately miscarried in August.  But bottom line Yes OPK's can definitely give you some inclination on wether or not you are pg.  Good Luck
AFter our 2nd loss after D&C, i was awaiting my first AF in August.  I only had an OP test so I took it figuring I'd get a clearly negative since I thought i'd be getting my AF and I got a clear positive ovulation line.  I tested HCG pregnancy same day and surely had HCG in.  HOwever, i lost that pregnancy and am still not sure if it was leftover hcg from d&c in july or a new pregnancy.  Point is, i tested clearly positive when I had Hcg in me
Go to peeonastick.com. They have a very informative site about opks as hpts. I did that two weeks ago, decided I would take a opk and hpt both came back positive. An OPK looks for the same thing as an HPT it's just that an HPT looks for a little something extra. So- An OPK will pick up pregnancy hormones and show you as positive if you are pregnant. A HPT should also pick it up.   Good luck!
I wonder how soon the OPK's detect pregnancy.  The reason I ask is because I had a positive opk for 2 days last week (tuesday & wednesday) and then on Saturday I had another positive.  My temp doesn't seem to indicated that I've o'd though.  What in the world?!
Someone from this site, or maybe it was on the peeonastick.com webpage  but anyway- it said that if you register positive on a OPK, you should also be able to register positive on a HPT.
OK Could someone clu eme in on what OKP is? I am new to this as I am just looking for info on ttc. I have been taking an ovulation test and the line hasn't gotten darker and I am 18 days pat period. I def should be Ovulating. SO are you saying the Ovulation test can be used a preg test?
How so?
OPK is ovulation predictor kit
I am 11dpo and my opk is positive but nothing on the hpt (or maybe its too faint) does that mean anything?
how can i know if i am pregnant using a opk..do it shows 2 lines or should both linens be dark in other to know if i am pregnant...i took a opk and it had a dark line and the other line was half dark but i took an hpt and it was negative...can someone explain how do i know if i am pregnant using a opk...thank u and baby dust to all
If you go to peeonastick.com you can read about using OPK's as pg tests.  I believe The OPK would have to be postive meaning both lines equally dark.  So in your case it would be negative.
thank sck08 for your honest answer...
I was five days late and didn't want to test because I didn't want to see a negative result because my husband and I had been trying for a few yrs. so I had some leftover OPK's and for the hell of it, I pee'd on it.  It came out that I was ovulating.  So, I told my best friend who was also pregnant and she took the same test and it came out she was ovulating.  The next day I took a pregnancy test and it was positive so yes...I believe they do work!