Maternal & Child Community
Uterus still firm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Uterus still firm

I had a natural m/c on May 1st. I bled for about 1 week and followed up that week with my OB to see how I was doing. She checked me out and said everything was fine and that my uterus went down significantly to a smaller size. at the time I m/c I was 9 weeks and 4 days. She gave us the go ahead to TTC after 1 AF. But like many women on this site I just needed to be with my husband. We wanted to be so close to each other that when we bd'd we really didn't use protection and relied on the pull out method. Now it has beemn 3weeks and 2 days since my m/c and my uterus is notciable hard like when I was pregnant. Even my husband can feel that it is hard. Is it possible that I might pbe pregnant again even though we used th pull out method? Or am I just being very very paranoid? My husband and I are anxious and I am trying not to be too hopeful and am just expecting to get AF soon, but I can't shake this feeling like I may be pregnant. Any advice?
well, pulling out isn't really a "method". There have been many babies made that way. Maybe you're lucky this month.   :)
Is it possible I am being paranoid though? Its just that my uterus feels ahrd enought that my husband can feel something hard in my stomach that to me feels like when I was pregnant before my m/c. But is the "pull out"method really a way for sure to get pregnant? This may sound very elementary like, but I always thought it was highly unlikely? And do you ovulate that soon after an m/c? wow, I am really paranoid! Soryr everyone. I just would love this soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much if I was that I would rather think I am not and find out I am so I don't get my hopes up. Am I making any sense?
Pulling out does very little to prevent pregnancy.  There are secretions in the shaft and on the tip of the penis any time it is erect that are just full of sperm.  The system is not waiting for the big explosion of semen later to give some of the spermies a head start in the race to the egg.  Some research even suggests that these first spermies are the most vigorous.
I don't think it's common to ovulate right away after a mc, but I'm sure its possible. People do it with full term pg where they give birth, and get pg the next week. The previous poster was right about secretions etc. There are plenty of little swimmers in there. It's like a condom with a hole. ;)
Pmom,

OK, we need to chat because it sounds like you and may may possibly be in the same boat! This morning I woke up and felt a little queasy and I feel like very day as much as I don't want to think aboutit and everyone is telling me not to think about it, I feel like my uterus is still very noticable and palpable. When you found out you were pregnant 2wks after your m/c, did you feel the same as I? Were you able to feel your uterus or if not just you could feel something hard in your tummy that you thought might be your uterus? And you said you guys also used the "pull out" method. So please tell me, do you think there is a chance here I could be pg? I would be so happy! We knew we wanted to try away, but I strongly and deeply believe that if I am pg right now, I was in fact meant to have this baby!!! Cross your fingers!
I just wanted to say I got pregnant 2 weeks after I had my miscarriage and everything went fine. I did have to be put on progesterone for the first 12 weeks or so. I delivered my DD on Feb 24 of this year and she was a healthy 8lbs and 6.3oz. Just so you know that it can happen and I know how you feel about just needing to be close to your DH after something like that. We also used the pull out method. Good luck to you.
Tiffany
Both with this pg and my last, my lower abd got very hard. It wasnt my uterus, possibly just the muscles surrounding it protecting it? Im not to sure, but I know it absolutely was not my uterus.
When you say your symptoms were kinda strong, how strong were thye and what were they? Also when did you date your pregnancy from? When you had your m/c? Cause I had my natural m/c on May 1st and it lasted a week. From the 1st so far it has been 3 weeks and 3 days. Now I know they say the norm is 4weeks-6 weeks for you to get AF after an m/c. So when did you take your hpt? I have had a few headaches the last couple of days that had kinda made me feel a little nauseous, but then I am fine, but then they come back. Is this a symptoms? I forgot what it was like with my daughter (age 13mos.)I feel like an idiot because I wondering if I am reallythinking somethins is there when I am not but I don't know...I just feel like I am. Could this just be me wanting it really bad? Please tell me what you experienced physical and emotional when you found out you were preggers. Thanks again!

Lisa
Hi Lisa,
Well I had sore boobs, I was very sick to my stomach. I am unsure of the actual date, I had a miscarriage at the end of May, I don't remember the exact day but they dated the pregnancy start at June 10th. My first appointment wasn't until Aug. I took the test shortly before scheduling the appointment. I think it was around the middle of July or so. It seem sso long ago so I am having trouble remembering. Yeah i never got that first AF after the miscarriage but I suspected I would get it around the middle of july cause I bled for so long. Well I hope that helps you at least a little. Anymore questions I would be glad to help you out in anyway I can.
Tiffany
I don't think you can feel your uterus being hard yet. That early it is way down behind your pelvic bone.
I feel my uterus get hard by about 12dpo. when I get pg. It feels like I have a peach in there.
So are you saying it is possible to feel my uterus?
Yes, it sounds as if our situation could be the same. I honestly don't remember if my uterus was hard or not but I just knew something was going on because all my pregnancy symptoms disappeared a few days after I miscarried on my own, then it was about 2 weeks later and they came back strong so I kinda thought i was. Anyway,  I was going to wait till me next period but I took a test 4 days before I thought it was going to appear and I got a positve. So I scheduled an appointment and through bloodwork and an ultrasound they determined I got pregnant 2 weeks after I miscarried. I was always told you are very fertile after a miscarriage. They monitered me very closely the first few months, ran alot of bloodwork, did many ultrasounds and put me on progesterone supplements due to the fact I had low progesterone. I was only on them till I reached 12 weeks until the placenta was able to take over production of progesterone. Progesterone is what helps sustain a pregancy. Anyway good luck to you and take a test,u might want to wait a few days so you aren't buying a bunch. Please keep in touch.
Tiffany
So are you saying its possible I am pregnant, but just not my uterus thats hard, but my abdominal muscles or another type of muscle getting me ready for another pregnancy?I definitely feel something hard and noticable. I did have am/c May 1st. But my OB said my uterus when down in size. Monday will be 4 weeks since my m/c. So either waiting for AF to prove me insane or a few more weeks to prove me preggers. What do you guys think?