Maternal & Child Community
VBAC and epidural questions...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

VBAC and epidural questions...

To those of you who've had an epidural with a previous vaginal birth...

Did you have control of your bladder and bowel while being numb (besides the reported #2's that take place while pushing a baby out)? Also, at any time did a nurse put in a foley cathedar to relieve your bladder during your epidural?

Also, has anyone had a VBAC after a c-section... how did it go?
I did not lose control of my bladder.  Right before it was time to push the nurse inserted a cathedar to relieve my bladder.  It was extremely full and I never peed the bed so I know I maintained control the whole time.  I don't know if I pooped during pushing or not but I know I did not lose control of that either while in labor.
Hey there thought I would let ya know my experience. Well I got an epidural and never peed myself nor did I go #2 except for when I pushed but when you're pushing that hard you can't really help that!! lol Anyway... My bowels were causing the baby trouble getting down the birth canal so I had to get an enema (sp?) Well I was able to go in abed pan and controlled every bit of that and was able to tell when i was going and when i was finished. I don't really know if they give you the option I just asked for a bed pan and thehurse would me remind sometimes to try and go to the bathroom. I had one one time to and besides afterwards the thing hurt the whole time it was it was horrible. So I would just tell them you don't want one and to keep a bed pan near!! :) good luck to ya!!
Unless you have a "walking epidural" then you cannot walk, so no, I did not have that option.  I had no choice but to get the cathedar.

I'm very sorry for your horrible experience, that must have been terrible!
For my 1st child I was given an epidural.  Everything was numbed.  For my daughter and the one I lost last year I was given an interthecal.  I think that is the same as a walking epidural.  Unlike the epidural, with that one you can still feel pressure and can walk etc, but just don't feel the pain.  I liked that the best because with the epidural my son couldnt go to my room until it wore off completely.  With the interthecal I was able to walk right afterwards.
LOL.  that is too funny about the name thing.  I have been trying to figure alseedus out too.  I keep thinking of (as you did) her husband is al, and he wants her to seed (impregnate) us  ...  lol.  I thought I was the only one who did that.  

As far as pregnancies go, I had a c-section, and like stillwaiting, I will be having one again.  I was told I am a lot better off.  IT is also easier for me since my husband is overseas.  It gives him a better chance of being here for our daughters birth.  He should be home from Feb 1st until the 9th.  My c-section is scheduled for the 3rd.  

Good luck,

Amanda
Wow with my first kid the epidural was the greatest thing.  If you dont like pain then its a good thing trust me.  I diddnt feel a thing.  I was kinda upset though because I new I could of handled it.  My other two children after that were all natural and Im pregnate with my last baby now and I have chosen to do it all natural again.  Its such a rewarding feeling.
hi i had an epidural when my daughter was born in june 05 just the lowest does so it took my pain away. i could still walk with help and the midwife told me by feeling when my bladder was full when to go to the toilet. i agree though i could still feel all the pressure but i would rather that then have a catheter.i dont think they work for as long either wore off 20 mins later then i couldnt get another top up cause i was 10 cms dilated.the epidural didint even hurt the worst bit was trying to stay very still while they inserted it during a contraction but it was all good. best of luck im due to give birth in june again and if the pain gets to much for me i wouldnt hesitate to have another one good luck
alseedus, please don't take this personally, but I just get a kick out of your name. I am a person who "tries" to use word association. I have been praying for all of us and every time I see your name on the board I just get tickled all over again. Before you take offense you  first should know that I live in the deep south,Now if you have ever seen the movie deliverance you can understand my humor. We are sometimes portrayed as the village idiots.(actually most all of the time)so long story short ..... between that fact and the southern English I think of your dh's name being Al and the fact that he "seed"  you and someone else doing something. Hope this tickles you too!!                                                                                                                              Now back to answering your question... I wanted to have a vbac but dr said no way. He said that it was just not worth the risk to mom or baby. So I had another section.                                   Hope you don't mind the interuption but I just have to share w/ you . My ds just came running in here with  his hand out ,going mmmmmmm  mmm mmmm, and handed me the cutest little tooth. Guess my bbt will be off in the morning. The tooth fairy has work to do tonight!!  I just love these little guys.  take care
I think this topic depends mostly on the hospital, but here's what happened to me. My daughter was delivered at one that didn't catheterize with epidurals. I didn't lose control, but also couldn't feel the urge to go. The nurse had me push until my bladder was empty (when it was time to "push") and then changed the pad under me. I thought it was gross but didn't know any better to say anything. I couldn't have walked to the bathroom anyway! As for bowel movement, I remember having one at the beginning of labor before going to the hospital and that was it. When I went to childbirth classes for this pregnancy I asked about epidurals and catheters and the hospital I am delivery at routinely uses them.

Off the topic but relevant: I had a bad birth experience the first time - hemorrhaging, blacking out from pain medication after labor, being dropped on the floor by a nurse when I passed out in the bathroom after all that blood loss, unfriendly staff, dirty room, etc. Like your bad first experience, I think we have to put it all behind us and believe it will go better this time. Good luck!
Good morning girls. It's time to go back to work. Kids go back to school this morning. Buisness as usual. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one w/ this crazy sense of humor.LOL I'll check back in tonight after church.Have a good day!!!!