Maternal & Child Community
Vaccines and Autism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Vaccines and Autism

Honestly, I am very confused about this topic. Some mothers swear immunizations, specifically the MMR vaccine made their children autistic. Therefore, I am scared to take my 4 month old to the Ped's office for his shots. Even though he is up to date I am still scared and confused. What do you all think of this issue?
There has been a lot of debate and speculation on this issue. I firmly believe in immunizing my kids (as it is clear that without the vaccines that diseases that were once almost wiped out are back on the rise again and I feel it is a greater risk that my kids will get a disease than autism). While it is unclear what the connections may (or may not be), I do think that there "could" be a connection between the two- it is possible that the vaccine causes issues in children who have a genetic predisposition to autism. My doctor has assured me it is much safer to vaccinate rather than to risk my children becoming ill or dying by disease that is preventable.
I believe this was actually disproved and there was a journal released that stated the claim was fraudulent. I firmly believe in immunizations as well. There are too many things making a come back that shouldn't be due to lack of immunizations and that in itself is far more worrisome to me than anything else. I do believe in delayed vaccines though.
As with what Clysta said, my hubby and I talked to our doc about this when our 2 month old was to get his shots...he told us that the man who came up with that theory was completely wrong and there is no evidence to support this theory....he just made it up.....and my doc has said that with the new vaccines out that the babies get...the rate of infants getting meningitis and infants dying from it has greatly decreased...he totally recommended the shots. He was explianing that although many of the diseases or sickness out there are not common in many areas.....if you live in a bigger city someone could have gone on vacation and brought it back or someone could have moved in to a town and brought the sickness/disease with them....if your child is not immunized for this then they could catch it...i just find that it is too risky not to give it to your child
There has been plenty of evidence that shows there is no correlation. No one knows what causes autism, although it is thought that there may be a genetic predisposition to it, and then certain factors may trigger it.
I have been to professional developments on autism. One was by an organization that works with families with children with autism, and the speakers themselves had children with autism. They all recommend vaccinations, because the dangers these diseases pose are far more dangerous than the risk of autism. However, they did say that if your child has certain risk factors, then they would recommend spreading vaccines out and not giving more than 1 or 2 at a time. Risk factors include advanced maternal age, autoimmune problems in the family; digestive problems in the baby; developmental delays; family history of autism, etc...

My second baby had many risk factors. First off, there may autoimmune disorders in my immediate family (a risk factor- things like lupus or MS seem to increase the chances that the child may develop autism). Secondly, my baby had severe sensory issues as a baby. And, I happen to live in the state with the highest rates of autism. Still, we are vaccinating, although on a slightly different schedule. My pediatrician is comfortable with our vaccination schedule- we give only 2 at a time, and we are on the later end of the range for administering certain vaccines. All my ped cares about is that the children get all vaccinations within the range of time recommended. My first has been on schedule for everything because she did not have any problems as a baby.

Many countries have been administering the components of the MMR separately for decades. This is the big one that people claim may be linked to autism. Still, the rates of autism are rising in these countries at the same rate as ours. Many feel that the timing of the administration of the MMR vaccine coincides with the age when autism often emerges, which is why that vaccine is blamed.

My advice to you- if you are truly nervous, speak to your pediatrician about spreading out the vaccines. Give no more than 2 at a time, and just make extra trips back. If your ped is unwilling to hear your concerns, find a new one. Vaccinations are so important. Many diseases are coming back because many are choosing not to vaccinate. Their children are somewhat protected because the rest of us are vaccinating. Google pictures of some of these diseases we are protecting our children against, and you will see why it is important.
PrettyKitty,  I understand your concern.  There is MOUNTAINS of medical evidence that vaccines don't cause autism,  but the medical community still insists that getting very chilled won't give you a cold.  Yes,  actually,  it probably will.  We all know that viruses cause colds,  and the medical community readily agrees that being chilled lowers your immunity to disease,  so hello,  getting chilled will cause you to catch the cold virus.   We mothers all know that.

So I'm a little skeptical when the medical community says vaccines don't cause autism.  The few kids I know whose parents say they got it from vaccines seemed to be a little "off" before the vaccine,  but then suddenly became much,  much worse.

So maybe that's it.  Maybe children who have autistic tendencies can be made much worse with the vaccine.

If your child shows no signs of autism,  I agree with the others he's at much more risk for being harmed by not getting his vaccines.

Best wishes with this decision.
Guys,

One more question. What about mercury? isn't it true that too much mercury can cause neurological trauma? Is it true we are filling our babies' systems with the amount of mercury fit for a 250 lbs person? I am just so concerned and confused. A lot of people on TV state the goverment is hiding something???

Thank you ladies for all of your replies. I am more at ease now but with all this massive public concern and talk about autism being related or caused to/by vaccines I just don't know what to think anymore...Eek!
Trust your own instincts. Hundreds of millions of infants get vaccines every year without problem. Honestly, I don't trust anything the media says anymore. It's the same as people who swear the government is chemtrailing and controlling the weather. There will always be controversy to everything done.

You also will have to think about the school as well and what you intend to do. Where I live you have to be vacinated with certain ones to even attend. (I was actually sent home for 2 weeks because I didn't have my boosters)
Mercury is no longer used as a preservative in vaccines for children. To be sure, ask (demand) that your pediatrician give your child only vaccines without thimerisol. Most peds are doing this already, but it can't hurt to make sure.
Once again..thank you!