MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Vaginal Birth after 2 c-sections
by momof3rugratz, Jul 03, 2006
Ok I have 3 boys. My first son I delivery was vaginal, My next son was breech and was a c-section, My 3rd son was fine but the doctor at the time would not let me do a vbac he said he did not preform them. Well I would like another child and am struggling because I would like a natural birth. I am hoping I can get others experiences before I decide what I would do. I am lost and I would really like a natural birth. I did hear it is very dangerous. I just want all the information I can get.
Member Comments (27)
by lucky mom of 2, Jul 03, 2006
After two c-sections I heard it has to be a c-section for the third. I had the same thing, breech and then tried v-bac only to end up with a second c-section anyway because they were afraid the uterus was tearing. It turns out the baby had troubles and it wasn't my uterus. I was told by my doc that it is dangerous to do labor after to c-sections. To much of a risk of rupture.
by wantone, Jul 03, 2006
VBACs can be very dangerous :(, sorry to tell you that. Your uterus can rupture, and if it does they need to perform a hysterectomy, in addition to other life saving measures (you would be bleeding out if you ruptured). I am a maternity nurse and when we hear about a rupture after a VBAC attempt we all pray for the family. I think the previous post was correct, after two C-sections I don't think a doctor would do a VBAC. But look at the bright side...you will be so much safer having another section, and your other little ones need you around :). Good luck with whatever you decided! :)
by npd, Jul 03, 2006
I just went through this same decision process myself.  I am 30 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child - the first two were c-sections (first was emergency, second was scheduled on doc's recommendation).  With this one I really wanted a natural birth.  I did A LOT of research, including printing and reading the practice guidlines for obstetricians in the US and Canada, and reading many of the research articles which formed the basis of those recommendations.  Basically, there is one worrisome study which compared rupture rates after 1 c-section versus after 2.  It was a small, but carefully controlled study.  They concluded the risk of rupture after two cesareans is 3-5%.  That's up to 1 in 20.  There is a lot of research going on to develop a way to assess an individual woman's risk.  One group is doing a thickness measurement of a particular segment of the uterine wall at 36 weeks, and claim they can assess the risk of rupture very well.  Unfortunately this is still experimental and I couldn't find a perinatologist who would do the measurement... so I ended up deciding to go with a cesarean.  I could never live with myself if something happened - up to 5% chance of rupture, and if it happens, 15% infant mortality.  The risks are just too high.  The goal is a healthy baby, and I have to accept that I won't get the natural birth that I've always wanted.  I wish you luck and hope you make a decision that you, your husband, and your ob or midwife are comfortable with.  Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best.  I've been there, and I know how hard a decision this can be.  *HUGS*
by momof3rugratz, Jul 03, 2006
:(.. Now am not sure if I should have another child. I loved my natural birth, and the thought of another c-section is awful. I hate surgery.
by wantone, Jul 03, 2006
momof3rugratz don't give up on another child :(. What is it you hate about the surgery? I know I can't stand the thought of scalpels touching me (and I am a nurse and see them all the time..go figure), so for any surgery I make the anesthesia doc knock me out completely. Was your pain control okay after surgery? Was the recovery too hard? Maybe a doc can work with you on those specific issues so having another child isn't out of reach for you!
by npd, Jul 03, 2006
As yucky as they are, they are over quickly.  Recovery DOES take a while, and isn't easy.  But just think about the beautiful baby that will grow into a beautiful child and then a beautiful adult... you get a lifetime in exchange for a few months of discomfort.  I've just decided to be positive about it - as much as I hate c-sections, I still can't wait.  We've got a birth plan, and have made all the same kinds of preparations that we would have if this was to be a natural birth.  My two little ones will wait at the hospital with their grandparents, and my husband will come in with me.  We're trying to make the best possible experience.   Good luck with whatever you decide!
by Kalio1, Jul 03, 2006
I did it, but I had a anesthesiologist and my ob there the whole time throughout labor. That was several years ago. I have been told that many insurance companies will not allow it now because the dangers are high for complications and they don't want to take the risk.
I know it is hard to face yet another c section but the risks of a vbac that have been mentioned ( uterine rupture, yikes!)do exist so the safest route is a csection. That is not to say you can't find someone willing to do it, just that with each csection your risk for complications increases for a vbac because of the previous csections.
by momof3rugratz, Jul 03, 2006
Really the only bad thing about my c-section was I did not see my baby right away and I hated the recovery process. :( I had pain but it was all ok. I just wanted a natural birth less time in the hospital no catheter. When I had the last 2 c-sections I did it knocked out. I did not want a needle in my back I was so scared for that.
by momof3rugratz, Jul 03, 2006
I am not sure if it is correct but someone did tell me that since it has been 6 yrs since my last csection or pregnancy that it was a lower risk and the fact it is a low incision single stitches and then I was stapled. Do you think this is true. I am doing a lot of reading and I also read that the risk it 1% for a repeat c-section compared to the 2.7% risk for just having a c-section that was because of other complication's. I had no complications just 1 was breech and I did not want to try to turn the baby.