Maternal & Child Community
Very confused about bleeding at 15 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 15 weeks pregnant and seven days ago i started bleeding,it wasnt much,but we went to the ER well they said my cervix was closed and the heartbeat was fine it was 160,bloodwork was good,still they gave me a paper saying threatened miscarrage (miscarriage),and wanted me to go to my doctor in the morning. Well the next morning my husband and i went to the doctor,and she listened to the heartbeat,again it was normal,and i had a ultrasound the week before,and everything was fine,so she told me sometimes blood happens,just walk out and not to worry,well it has been 8 days of clotting,started pink,but is now brown,has anybody ever heard or experienced it?  I am hopeful my bay is fine,but i just dont understand why i would still be clotting.The stress is driving me crazy,along with my year old,and i cant seem to find answers any where.If someone could please tell me something. I have had no blood clots,and not enough blood to change a pad during the day.Please Help

Thanks,
mcsbsms
Chances are with the blood being brown, it is likely "old" blood, meaning nothing it actively bleeding. Could be any number of things, and irritated cervix from a pelvic or sex, or something else. How clear was the ultrasound? That is going to be the most accurate tool at this point. Did they check all around the placenta? If the bleeding is still enough to concern you (which it sounds like it is) go back to the ER or call your OB in the morning to see if they have any answers for you. Sometimes it can just be one of those things that never does have an answer...

Andrea
I have had two ulrasounds,the first one she checked for everything,i am guessing the next one was done just as well. Both times they have said everything looked normal,baby is right size. I am scared because i dont understand how long i should be doing this bleeding,because i cant find it wrote anywhere that is has happened.Thanks for getting back to me.

Thank You,
mcsbsms
I had similar bleeding in my second trimester with my second son.  I bled for weeks and my cervix was closed..they could see the blood on the inside during u/s but my son was just fine.  They never really came up with a reason..and i bled in my last pregnancy as well for no apparant reason..and he was fine as well.  Best wishes to you!
I am not trying to scare you, but i started light brown/pink spotting for several weeks ago. it got progressively worse. they did two ultrasounds and the baby was fine. it got heavier and i went last monday and miscarried my baby due to prom at 16 weeks. they couldn't understand why i was bleeding. PLEASE, PLEASE, make your doctor look into this further! it may be nothing, as people kept telling me, but i lost my little girl! don't take that chance! call your o/b right away! i wish you all the luck in the world!
Thanks for everyones comments.I want to state again that mine is dark brown,and i have had no  pain. I am so confused,and it it so hard to get looked at where i go to my ob,and i never seem to feel any better. I have a apointment in a week,but i am just trying to find out something from people who will tell the truth,not dance around it,so again THANK YOU
I felt the same way as you and actually changed OB's because I felt like he was so no-chalante about everything! my thoughts and best wishes are with you!
I had no pain either. i spotted for 2 1/2 weeks, light brown, then pink, then darker brown, then eventually light red. i went to my o/b each week for an u/s, but i don't think they took the bleeding as seriously as they should of, since they were as shocked as i was that the baby had passed. i will be switching o/b's because i felt like they didn't take it as seriously as they should of. if you can, i would make an appointment with a high risk o/b practice. i went to one with my 5 yr old daughter and anytime something came up, they wasted no time in investigating it. you may not be considered high risk, but a least they seem to take things more seriously. this is your baby, i would take every precaution necessary to make sure it is safe! please don't end up like me wishing i had done more! my prayers are with you!
Did you get to hear the heart beat each visit? Did they ever give a reason?

mcsbsms
Yes, I got to hear the heartbeat until the day she died. The pathologist said there was nothing wrong with the baby that he could see. This just happened last Monday, so I will find out more info when I go for a follow-up visit next week!
I'm SO sorry for your loss.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  (((((((hugs)))))) for you =(.  And what a beautiful name you picked .
I bled bright red.  It would fill two or three pads a day.  When I went to the doctor they could see the blood inside my uterus but my cervix was closed and the baby (my second son) was still in there moving around.  They thought the placenta was maybe bleeding a little and watched me closely for placenta abruption...this happened with my last son as well...except my cervix was open at 24 weeks it was fingertip and gradually opened the rest of the pregnancy.  Teh bleeding DID stop with both pregnancies..and I delivered both of them full term.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  I will say prayers for you and your baby!
While you were bleeding in your second trimester,what was the color,or  was it it a small amount.;

mcsbsms
Mssbsms-How are you? Did You go the your o/b? Has the spotting slowed down? I've been worried about you! Let me know how you are doing, Please!

Kellie D.-Thanks so much! It has been so helpful to be on here and reading about all of you! I makes me feel like I am not alone, but I wish none of us had to be here! I hope for future healthy pregnancies and babies in our near future! Thanks for caring! ((((((Hugs)))))))
Hello

I am fine,my spotting is the same,but i did call my ob,and they said as long as it it is still dark,and nothing else is wrong,then not to worry.I have a appointment next week. I also have a doppler that i rented off line,and my babys heart beat is still fine. Thanks for caring,but i am still confused.

mcsbsms
I noticed pinkish blood on the TP morning of May 9th (mothers day-- go figure) and was VERY WORRIED.  It kept up, so I went to the ER at about 2pm.  They did blood tests and said HCG was low and the ER doctor said my  cervix was open and it was a miscarriage.  I was 11 weeks.  Then the OB came to check me and said it was not heavy bleeding and that my cervix was fine, and there was a heartbeat on the US... to go home and rest.
WEll, 2 hours later I was back at ER passing huge clots and pools of blood. It was traumatic.
I hope all goes well with you.

Anyone- I am new to this forum and have been busy reding all morning.. Idon't think they did progesterone levels ... is there a "code" for progesterone levels? I have the printout of my bloodwork.  I jknow its pointless, but I just keep thinking of the what-ifs.... or so that I'll know for the next time.
If you have the paper work with your for your HCG levels they should be doubling each few days...If they drop or are slowly rising it usually means there may be a problem...is some cases it has to do with your progesterone level being too low. The progesterone horome is what supplies nutrients to your fetus(your baby) up until about the 12th week and around the 12th week is whent your placenta takes over nourshing the fetus (your baby). So a lot of times if your progesterone is to low it will cause a miscarriage. The doctors can do testing to see if you have a low progesterone level. Of course you can miscarry for other reasons such as chromosomes or other defects but relating to the progesterone hormone sometimes our bodies don't produce enough of it to support our pregancy up intil the 12 week so your doctor can give you injections to help. This is what I had done after three miscarriages and lots of testing...As soon as I found out I was pregnant they drew my blood to check HCG levels they were good and then they checked for a heart beat and there was one so they started the progesterone injections 500mg twice a week until the 13 week. I had a baby girl. I hope this helps you a little....I am pregnant right now with my second baby now only five weeks and I have already started my first progesterone injection....the fear of miscarrying never gets any easier...it's on my mind everyday...I wish you the best and know what you are going through...good luck in the future..
hi
thanks for getting back to me.My hospital on post never gives printouts of blood work,but they kept telling me it was normal,the heartbeat is great and finally after 2 and1/2 weeks my spotting has stopped,i hope its for good,but my doctor keeps telling me not to worry,so for now i am happy. I am sorry to everyone whos story has not turned out so well,and i hope mine dosent take a turn for the worse.

Thank you,
mcsbsms
How big would the clot be if miscarried at 15 weeks?  I started bleeding heavy on Wed 12/24/2008, went to the ER.  They ran test, seen the baby's heartbeat and he/she was being quite active, but didn't have any answers about the bleeding.  Filling 2 pads a day.  No pain with the bleeding.  They state it's a threatened miscarriage? they stated to watch for large blood clots the size of lemons and smaller ones following with pain?  I had a blood clot the size of a lemon but flat with no pain.  Would a miscarried baby at this point still just look like a large blood clot?
i doubt that a baby miscarried at 15 weeks would like a bloodclot..although i may be totally wrong?
by this stage bubs are only about 9-10 centimetres long, and already his facial features have completely formed and alot of other features are developing.
so i highly doubt itd just look like blood
just be very very careful, ask more questions hound your dr untill you know exactly why this is happening there is nothing worse than being left in the dark.
if large blood clots are happening seek attention immediately!
i sincerly hope all is fine with bub best wishes..