Maternal & Child Community
Very high HCG levels but no baby on ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a m/c on December 2, no d/c required, on January 6 I found out I was pg again. My levels went from 5509 to 10966 to 19753 with 2 days in between. I had u/s and it showed nothing in the tubes, and nothing in the uterus. I am just worried as to what it could possibly be or amybe I am just way too early, but then why are my levels so high? Help!!!
Did the dr. see a sac on the u/s? Was it a vaginal u/s?
Like mslkpage, it would help to know if it was a transvag or abdominal u/s? Huge difference in early pregnancy as a transabdominal may not detect anything but if it was a transvag it should show something.
maybe your levels are so high from the first pregnancy combined with the second one so close together  I do think it takes some time to fall back to normal. A vaginal u/s is much more accurate at an early stage.
The levels are quite high not to be showing anything (ie. a sac).  I would ask your doctor to explain what could be causing such high levels.  When are you due back for another blood test?  If the level has increased again i would ask for another scan.
I agree it could be the hormones from the last combined with this one and they just look quite high. Sometimes even on a vag u/s it is hard to see very much. There is also something called a molar pregnancy that is basically either an "empty egg" that has no chromosomes or a sort of mass, both of which secrete the HCG hormone and can cause a positive pregnancy test. But if your Dr. didn't mention anything like that than probably not the case.  Good luck with everything, I'll pray for the best.
Kris1, sound like you are just to early and it also sounds like you may be carrying twins.

Hey, ladies I have a question, I am (clinically speaking) 6 weeks but according to my temp. cahrt I am 4 weeks from conception. I am currently using a public health clinic for care and the doctor (nurse practioner) refuses to test my HCG levels. What can I do? I have no insurance and no real income right now which is why I have not chosen a private doctor. I really need some advice! This same NP has lied to me about other things on several occasions and she has also said that I am 9 weeks which is incorrect because in Dec. I had an anovulatory cycle. She refused to look at my chart. My last period was Nov. 4th which would make me 11 weeks this week. I am not even showing! This "doctor" will not listen to me. I am feeling so ignored! I believe I may be carrying twins because my symptoms were so pronounced in the beginning but I would need my HCG levels to know anything. Please, ladies I reallty need your help.
Apply for soonercare...that is what I did and they are paying for everything.
CONRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm so happy for you! That's great news! I was looking at my hcg results and they're WAY high for how far along I am, and the Dr. told me the other day they were normal. When I just looked on some websites it said they can range, and looking at a chart is no way to judge. I mean of course if they're were incredibly high, then the Dr. would have seen that and noticed it wasn't right for your LMP. Well congrats and keep us updated! God Bless You!
Kris, I can't offer much advice as I haven't been in your situation. My Dr. told me that anytime the levels are 2,000 or higher is when you should be able to see something. I don't know how true this is because, when I had my ultrasound I was 4 weeks 3days, my hcg was 885, we couldn't see anything that's when they said the count has to be atleast 2,000. Now they would've been able to see something like 4 days later at 5 weeks, and i've heard many women say nothing showed on the vaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks! So hopefully they will see something today. It may very well be twins, and that's why the levels are high. Whatever the outcome is you are in my thoughts are prayers, I wish you the best luck ever, and lots of stciky baby dust!! Please keep us all updated on what you find out. I'm 6 weeks and 2 days so I'm right where you are. I don't know if I will be getting an ultrasound tomorrow or not! Good luck to you and God Bless.
I had my u/s... it showed only one baby but with a heartbeat of 120 bpm!! I am so excited. This still doesn't explain whay my levels are so high! I am so worried still, I hope things are ok. Thanks for your thoughts!! I will keep you informed!!!
Well that is wonderful news! Your dr saw the baby and a strong heartbeat. I wouldn't worry about the high hcg if everything looks okay. Good luck!
I had a vag u/s and i should have been 5 weeks and 1 day. I know it's not left over HCG b/c we had levels done until they were gone. The Dr. did mention a molar pg, and twins, b/c the m/c I had in December was twins and I am a twin myself. But I have another u/s today so hopefully it will look promising. I am 6 weeks, 1 day today. I was just worried about another m/c and I hadnt heard of levels going so high and can't see anything on u/s. He did see a very small sac but said it was just fluid and wasn't big enough to call a gestaional sac...???
I am just hoping for the best!!
Hey there, I'm roughly 5 weeks today.  I have vaginal scan last week and could see the sac. There was also a smaller "fluid sac" which the doc said he didn't think was another baby. However, my hcg levels are  very high. I was wondering whether its possible that this "fluid sac" could be another baby - can the doc be wrong ? Anyone had experience like this ?
When to the doctor took blood test coming out positive pregnant with hight hcg levels was about a month pregnant they did a vaginal ultrasound and saw nothing but I had hight hgc.I went back two days later had another vag ultrasound done and hgc but had the same result.I begin bleeding heavy but I bleed thought out my daughter  pregnancy and she now a healthy three year old. They called me back today to get more blood work done because my hgc levels are still high.I was told that I miscarriage this baby I wanted so now I'm confused and frustrated and don't want to get my hope up to be destroyed a fourth time  

Jetbrujah
yesterday in my u/s they seen the yolk n the placenta but no baby im suposed to be 10 weeks they said i was 5 but there is no way its not posibel that im only 5 and the made me pee befor my u/s n many people told me that peeing befor  the u/s could realy mess up the picture cuzz u have to have a full blatter for a u/s so they did a hcg test n they said my hcg test come out positive and the number was 32904 what could be wrong y cant i see the baby n why r the dates so off any one please help n help us all pray for our babys to be ok and be healthy
i spent last week in hospital. as i am meant to be 9 weeks pregnant, but doctors cant find a baby. i had trans vag scan. i have tilted womb. My womb is app size of 12 weeks or bigger so are my hormone levels which keep doubling. They seen two sacks on last scan but even if they are twins they should be bigger. If i am over 12 weeks i have had alot of stress. (Dad is in hospital due to cancer) could this be reason why the saks are so tiny. They didnt even try hearing for heartbeat. I have two healthy girls six and eight. Got to go back day after tomorrow for another scan and bloodtest. Any body been in same situation and it turned out good? Baby dust to all