Maternal & Child Community
Very slow hair growth...lack of vitamins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

DD's hair grows very very slowly.  She'll be 11 month in a little over a week and her peers have long hair and need bows and clips to keep it from their eyes but her hair's so short that it doesn't even touch her forehead.  It's curly but short.  Could it be b/c it's curly and doesn't appear long or is she lacking vitamins?  Her nails, on the other hand, I have to trim twice a week b/c they grow so fast.  
I think we just have bald kids! Lily's hair is short and she looks like a boy. I take a piece in the front and put a bow in it so that people quit calling her a handsome young man!
I'm gonna have to send you a picture!
My youngest didn't have much hair to speak of until she was about two -- healthy as could be.  It made her cheeks look even rounder and I, personally found her irresistable -- as I'm sure you do your daughter.

My older dd always had plenty of hair and still does.

But my little one didn't until she was two, and then it just grew and now she has thick, full and LONG hair.

As long as she has a healthy diet, I would think it is nothing to be concerned about.  Mention it to her ped at her 1-yr check up, but I'm sure they'll tell you it's completely normal.

No worries -- I once called my ped cause I was worried my dd's TOEnails didn't need to be clipped as often as her fingernails -- I thought her feet weren't growing right!  She now wears my shoes!
hahaha...I know!  I'm tired of people saying "oh, look at the cute boy".  She's a girl, damn it!
My daughter is 4 and has always had slow growing hair. She had pretty severe gastroinestinal problems from the age of 1 till she was 3. Her hair is to her shoulders now but it took such a long time to get their. Definately diet has a great deal to do with it. Her meds and her allergies to food had prevented her from eating enough vitamins and minerals but multivitamins do help. I started out with a liquid vitamin for kids with allergies and moved on the the Princess gummies when she got older. It's really all about getting those vitamins in them. Hair growth or lack there of can be an indicator of health issues but don't diagnose your kids or freak out. Talk to your childs doctor and really be an advocate for your child. Sometimes they dismiss our concerns. Good luck...