Maternal & Child Community
Viable pregnancy or not??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Viable pregnancy or not??

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone could help us. My wife and I have just been for our second scan at 7wks 1day. Our first scan (due to slight bleeding) was at 5wks 2days all seemed well, uterus and yolk sack were normal but no sign of a fetal pole, told not to worry as it is early days. As mentioned we had the second scan today and the gestational sack has doubled in size and the yolk sack was still present with a very small fetal pole of 2.4mm. We have been told that this does not look normal as they would expect to see some sign of a baby plus no heartbeat has been detected. We have been given the impression that the pregnancy is not viable and we are due to have another scan in 7 days, after which if a heart beat is still not detected the nurse has said we will have a "little chat"....

Measurements have been thrown at us as in that the fetal pole should be bigger in relation to the uterus,does anyone know if this is definately the case? We are v.worried that if still a heartbeat is not picked up on next week that those dreaded words d&c will be mentioned, when if you read others storeys of similar worries on the web, many say to wait and if it's not meant to be things will happen naturally.

What are two very upset and worried parents supposed to do??
Any views are most welcome!

Many thanks...Chris & Leanne.
I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through.  They are many on this board who have been there and done that and understand the fear, torture and worry you are experiencing right now.  I don't have any knowledgable words for you but just wanted to lend my support and prayers as someone who has been in your situation.  Keep us all posted and hopefully your little one will develop normally and is just off to a slow start.
It is a good sign that a fetal pole was detected. It is always possible the dates are off (even 1 or 2 days at this point can make a huge difference) 7 weeks 1 day is a bit early for a heartbeat in some instances. If you don't see a heartbeat in a week, then there may be a reason to be concerned.

I have suffered 4 m/c myself, along with 2 successful pregnancies. With 3 of my miscarriages, I chose to have them naturally at home and with one I had to have a d&c due to my body not getting things going for weeks and then severe and uncontrollable bleeding. I can tell you that I would rather do things naturally at home as it allowed me to feel a sense of closure that I felt I missed having the d&c.

But I do not think this should even be a concern in your case until you have another scan done in a week.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both and I hope all turns out well.

Andrea
Thank you all for your kind words.  It is so comforting to know people understand what we are going through even though they don't know us!!!

We will let you know how we get on with the next scan.

We value any more comments.

Leanne & Chris xx
Sorry you are going through this. I wouldn't think the worst yet, though!Ultrasound measurements can be way off, and what you have seen so far is positive! I know not seeing the heart beat is fearful, but your little peanut might just be in hiding! Hopefully you'll see the heart at your next scan.
I agree with others about waiting for nature to take its course. I too had a miscarriage after not-so-promising ultrasounds (although much less promising then yours, I will say) and chose to let it happen naturally. Although it took nearly 6 weeks to complete, at least I could rest knowing that things will unfold as they are meant to.
My thoughts are with you:)
I read your post today, and just wanted to know how long it took before you actually miscarried.  Myah's Mom, you said 6 weeks to complete.  Do you mean when it actually started?  Or you had to wait 6 weeks from the time you knew it was gone, to when it began?  Here' my story (posted in another forum) so you know why I'm asking.

I just thought I'd update you a little. I've had spotting off and on from two weeks before I found out I was pregnant.  I was sent to get an ultrasound, and told I was 6 weeks, but no fetal pole detected.  3 weeks later I went to get another u/s.  I should have been 9 weeks, but measured 7w2d.  No fetal pole, no heartbeat, but a sac with a mishapen yolk sac.  The u/s said this is probably not a viable pregnancy and suggested hcg tests.  On thurs I was 14700, on sat. 12000.  Doctor said 99.9%, the pregnancy is over.  We discussed me going to see a ob/gyn to talk and figure out options.

So, today I got home around 7 tonight with several messages left from my dr.'s office asking me to call back. I did and here's the message that was left from my doctor. He is having difficulty getting me a referal to the ob-gyn of my choice and he thinks that I should go to emerg. So I'm like, "now?", and the secretary didn't know. So I have an appointment at 2:45 tomorrow with my doctor to find out what his stupid message meant, but I'm telling you, I am so pissed off at the message I don't know what to think!! Am I in an emergency situation? What's the rush? I really don't want to get a d&c without at least one more ultrasound and blood test AND second opinion because I'm feeling this office is so incompetent, I don't trust them (even the doctor).
Why can't my body just decide to miscarry for me, so I don't have to make the decision?  I'm technically now 11w5d. How long does it take for my body to decide it's no longer pregnant? I just want to get on with it, and let my body heal.

And I'm soooooooo tired. How do people keep going on everyday, knowing but not really knowing that their pregnancy has taken a bad turn?
hi
i m pregnant by 6 weeks 1 day.initially i experienced very sore breasts & the frequency of urination also increased a bit.but ,from past 4/5 days the soreness has decreased a lot & no feelings of nausea etc..i m due for my u/s today ,but i m much worried,as i hav pcos & had been able to concieve (conceive) aftr 3 months of trying.....feeling very depressed as i want this baby very much....
hi
I know how all of you are feeling. I am 7 weeks and I have had 2 u/s where the doctor thought "maybe" they saw something. My hcg levels are increasing slowly (895,1190,1380) but the doctor says that he is still hopefull. I have an appointent next week that seems like a year away and I was crying reading all of your letters, it is very hard and I know we will all get through it. Hopefully me next u/s will show a baby I don't think I can pray any harder then I already am. Best wishes to everyone and I'll keep you in my prayers.