Maternal & Child Community
Vitamins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Vitamins?

I've had a miscarriage in July and a chemical pregnancy beginning of September.  I'm due for my AF, but it's not here yet, so I'm discouraged.

What is your opinion on vitamins to help you get ready for a new pregnancy?

I'm taking a Vitamin B Complex (with Folic Acid)
Extra Folic Acid
Vitamin E
and a Multivitamin.

Have you heard anything else about Vitamins?

Also, I'm just so discouraged!!  I want my period to come so I can start over.  :(
Prenatals help your uterus get ready for pregnancy and have folic acid in it.  They have the right amounts your body needs...and you can get them over the counter.  If you take many vitamins your body just excretes out what it does not use.  Your body can only absorb so much vitamins at a time.
I recommend the Citrical Prenatal vitamins.  I used them while TTC and I still take them through my pregnancy.  They contain a stool softener that helps with the iron intake.  They are regularly $26 but my insurance covers them 100%.  For me that is better than OTC (price-wise).  You may want to look into that option if you are insured.  It is recommended that you start taking prenatal vitamins as soon as you know you want to conceive.
My doctor gave me something called Natacaps, because I told him I would NOT be able to handle any big, yucky horse pills. They are in capsule form (larger than a Tylenol, but still smaller than the huge vitamins I've seen)so they are easier to swallow. I knew that the taste of a vitamin (if didn't swallow it fast enough, or if it got "stuck" in the back of my throat before swallowing) would make me throw up...morning sickness or no morning sickness.

So I started taking it about a month or two before ttc. He also gave me a prescription for folic acid (1mg) that I've been taking for over a year (because he knew we would be trying within the year). He told me to continue taking it even though I started a prenatal...so I've been taking both. Apparently Folic Acid is the most important thing to have in your system while ttc, and after getting pg, as it absorbs quickly, and doesn't last very long after it IS in your system. That's why it's important to not even skip ONE day of it.

Also, take your prenatal at night, as the extra iron sometimes causes women to feel sick. I take mine just as I'm going to bed, and have had no problems...except constipation...which they say the iron contributes to that as well! Ughhh! :-)

Sorry I'm rambling but figured I'd tell you all I knew about it! LOL

good luck!
I'm going to take a prenatal, plus the extra folic acid and B complex.

:)
Wow, I wasn't sure if to much folic could be bad?I had metho.shot for ectopic & it really reduces your folic intake & was told to wait 3 mos.to ttc while taking prenatals,but if I CAN take more than I will.Thanks* nanis
I's it o.k to take prenatals Plus x-tra folic?My prenatals have 800mcg already?
I took Rx prenatals all the time I was ttc.
you should make sure that your vitamins do not contain vitamin A as too much of that can harm the baby. Just thought I would mention that.

Good luck