Maternal & Child Community
WHAT DO YOU FEED WHEN YOU STOP GIVING FORMULA?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My son just turned 1 a few days ago and we're taking him off of formula/bottles.  He's been eating jars of baby food for awhile and just starting to get him to like oatmeal, he usually tries to spit it all out, could only get him to take it in the bottle with formula.  Now I am trying to figure out what to feed him, I want to give him a variety, but he is very picky and he doesn't do well with solid foods, only baby jar foods thus far.  We are also giving him whole milk like the doctor told us to do with our first after he turned 1.  My other son is now 2 1/2 years old and I can't remember this stage with him very well and how we got him to eat or what we got him to eat.  What do others feed once they've taken their babies off of breast milk/bottles/formula?  I just want to make sure he gets enough to eat and can't remember what or how often he needs to eat now...

Thanks!
Hi, my youngest son stop taking the bottle and formula around 1. We replaced his formula with whole milk and gradually  replacd his bottles with sippy cups. His very first cup actually was like a bottle with handles. Then eventually that was replaced with "real" sippy cups. My son is now 22 months old and he is still a picky eater. I started him out with baked / mashed potatoes, very soft carrots that can be mashed up or yams, you will learn to be creative. I would gradually mix in vegetables, rice and some meats. Eventually he will gradute from less mushy foods to all solids. I think when they are at this stage it is really all about familiar textures.
I started feeding my daughter whole milk when she turned one. She took 2 8oz bottles a day, one in the morning, and one before bedtime, but now she is transitioning to only one a day. She is now almost 14 months old!
My twins were pretty picky eaters, never good with table food, but luckily they liked Gerber. I gave once a day cereal, fruit and once dinner. But still they took most of their feedings from milk (whole milk, your're right), they just liked drinking better then eating and I just let them. Eventually they started to eat more. I found that forcing them did not work, letting them try from our plate was much more interesting to them!
When My guy turned 1 we also quit formula and the bottle.  He was on sippy cups only.  He liked the food from Grebber--I think by 1 I was on stage two but mostly on three's.  I was also giving him foods that we were eating that I could cut up real small or mash.  Cheese, yogurt--My little guy was not a picky eater.  He watched his older brother eat and wanted the same things. (they are 20 months apart).  If he is not at the chewing stages just yet, just make sure it is no chokable stuff.
My son ate a whole piece of pizza on his first birthday. Now I kind of feel like a bad mom. My son, Aidan would only eat carbs. I hated it. But it was feed him the darn carbs or make him go hungry. I gave in every time. Thus creating a monster. And if any of you are wondering....no, he is not fat now. He actually will go a whole day without eating. He is never hungry. He is 4 1/2 now.
When my son turned one I stoped breast feeding and started whole milk. He likes fresh tomatos and watermelon. I also cooked for him chicken or lamb with veggis, then put it in foor proc. and give it to him in a cup.
If you're worried about nutrition during this whole transition period, I used a can of pedisure a day for a while till I felt like my DD was getting all she needed from solid foods. You can also give vitamins, I just needed to make sure my DD was getting enough calories as well.
we didnt ditch formula with our first until she was ready to transition to whole milk.. and that transition took about a month. 1/4 milk, 3/4 formula for a week.. then 1/2 and 1/2... etc. in the meantime - plain veggies with protein, mashed chickpeas is a good one
i used one of those single ended mixers that you stick in a cup(i hope you know what im talking about haha) and i blended all his veggies, and it would grind chicken up well, and he loved it.
sarubers: why would you feel like  a bad mom? because your son ate pizza? because he loves carbs and you give him them? it doesnt make you a bad mom. how fun to eat pizza on your first birthday i say!

seeing as my son is 8, i remember my friends would laugh because i wouldnt give my son candy. i said he cant miss what he doesnt know. its true. of course now he would eat a mountain of chocolate if i let him lol. trick is feed him what you feel is healthy and make the other things a treat. once in a while.
My daughter is not a fussy eater. She is 9 months old and I feed her rice, chicken breast and vegetables...all boiled and pureed...she loves it. However, I have exclusively breastfed her for 6 months and then slowly added solid food to her diet. For this reason, she never takes a bottle. Now I somehow manage to get around 8 oz of formula down , with her evening biscuit and morning breakfast cereal...and breast feed her at noon and night. But I am not very confortable with this as I am not sure of how much breast milk she is getting and if her total milk intake is enough. Just wanted to be sure that she is getting all the milk and nutrition from it that she needs.
you should talk to her peditrition about this. they would know whats best for your child
There is a great book called First Meals that I use a lot. It has a lot of good recipes based on age from a few months to 4 or 5 years. Just ignore all the pictures of snail sausages and ladybug ice cream and fruit boats (i wouldn't do this even if i DID have the time). And get a hand food mill - they don't make potatoes and oatmeal gummy like an electric processor. Then start with the fruit purees. Mashing half a ripe avocado with half a ripe banana until very smooth (and thinning with formula if necessary for your son) is very easy, nutritious and tasty. Also the recipe for apple and date oatmeal is fabulous and especially creamy after run through the hand food mill. The chicken and couscous is great too and the lentil and vegetable dish. The recipes make enough for 3 lunches too. Just mill everything up and thin it out until your son can move on to thicker things. Also, I add apple to any recipe that might need to be sweeter tasting for my daughter.

We started my daughter who gagged on everything on very tiny cooked pasta. You could also try couscous which is very finely milled pasta and just give it in tiny amounts until he gets used to moving food to the back of his mouth with his tongue. The couscous is tiny compared with his windpipe so as long as you give him small amounts on a spoon, he can't choke. He might gag but won't choke. You could also try full-fat yogurt to start. Easy to eat and tasty and nutritious.

Anyway, my daughter is almost a year and eats a variety of foods now but it has taken a lot of milling and patience to get her to this point. We will switch to milk in a few weeks too. I bet she would love to tuck into a piece of pizza but after all the gagging scares, I won't be doing that with her anytime soon... I do suggest that book though - the recipes are very easy and only take about 20 minutes, a lot of which is just waiting for it to boil and cook. Then mill and thin it out until your son doesn't need that anymore. Your older son may like the recipes too, just not milled up. And, no, I am not the author and not related! It's just a good book.

With my son who is now almost 5, I had more time and would cook up double or triple recipes from this book and then freeze it in muffin tins and then just thaw one when I needed one. Just an idea.
I din't look at the date of your post. I guess since it was over 4 years ago, you have moved on. Maybe somebody else will find my comment useful... Or not!