Maternal & Child Community
WORRIED ABOUT A FRIEND

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

WORRIED ABOUT A FRIEND

Quick question!  My friend is 26weeks pregnant and i know at the beginning of her pregnancy she snorted cocaine like everyday then she found out she was pregnant at 20 weeks.  she stopped snorting but now i hear that shes smoked crack a couple times since then.  shes had an ultrasound and the doc said baby if good hb is normal, has all parts, and the measurments are right on, my question is could something still be wrong with her baby.  i love that baby already and i just dont want anything to be wrong, any advice would be great
I hope for the baby's sake its born ok. I guess you'l just have to wait and see.
Maybee you should inform someone of what is going on though as thats no way to bring a child into this world and you need to ask yourself what sort of a life will it have if you dont interveen?!
i know somebody that had an addiction problem. the baby was born very early weighed very little and at first there were no problems with her baby but now she is 7 years old and has many problems.  i would try to encourage your friend to get some help for her baby's sake and for her's. addiction is a very powerful disease and it is not easily overcome without professional help.  i wish you luck with your friend.
Your friends baby could be born healthy and it might not be--they may not know there is anything wrong until the baby gets older and is not hitting milestones as it should.  If you are truly concerned then you need to inform someone in social work or at her doctors office so they can keep a closer eye on her development.  If she won't give up doing drugs while pg what is going to happen after the baby is born---they can not fend for themselves when little and may have even more problems.
That is horrible.  I pray for the baby's sake that he or she is born okay.  My baby's father has a dd and her mother I swear to God doesn't deserve to be a mother.  This woman smoked crack and drank excessively throughout her entire pregnancy.  His dd was born very small, 4lbs something, but you know?  She was born perfect.  She went through extreme withdrawls because of the drugs and alcohol and no body knew her mother used so this born baby suffered with no intervention.  This woman has gone on to have another baby, while continuing the drug and alcohol abuse and is pregnant with another one.  The baby she had last December is okay and I pray that this baby will be too.  They all have different fathers, but the father of my baby does take care of his dd, he's fighting for custody of her and has her all the time.  We've called the state on her repeated times and they do nothing.  
You're friend needs to be turned in and make sure that someone at that hospital knows she's been using drugs while pregnant because there is a very real possibility that he or she will have withdrawl (withdrawal) or other problems for it and it's better that the doctor's are informed.
another thing is that at the time of the baby's birth they WILL test for drugs both mom and baby. If the mom is using drugs they WILL NOT allow the mom to have custody of her baby! im sorry but it makes me upset to hear this because i had a miscarriage nearly a month ago and i did everything right and still lost the baby. then you hear abou things like this and makes you think WHY do people have such a hard time getting help? especially when they are pregnant.  i am not judging your friend, i know it is a hard thing to get past BUT when you have another life that you are responsible for.......selfishness needs to stop.  i really hope that your friends gets help right away!!!!!!! is is SO important.
If your friend won't stop, I agree, you need to intervene. Clearly she is an addict and needs help.  Without it she will give birth to a crack baby who could have problems, but they are also known to be very difficult because of withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  How will your friend deal with this, god forbid she looses it and hurts the baby.
this is so sad. it breaks my heart. my son wasn't planned and i was fairly young and did some stupid things in my life, but the minute i found out there was a baby inside me, whatever it was i did in the past - stayed in the past. thank god i found out very early (about 2 weeks or so). but seriously, how can people be sooooo selfish as to destroy an innocent life inside them? i don't want to get into the topic of abortion with the very opinionated (and rightfully so) ladies on this site, but why would you continue to carry a child you clearly don't love. and how did this girl not know she was pregnant until 20 weeks?

i am praying for that baby.
Most hospitals do not test for drugs in the system unless they have reason too.  I know where I live, and even in AR where my stepdaughter's mother lives this is not done.  So you need to interviene and do something.
I hope you get your "friend" some help.  
Just because the baby may be Physically Healthy does NOT mean there wont be any Mental and or Learning disabilities.  And this is usually not detected til later..............
im just wondering if this post is really here to get us going!!!! she never responded. people are so screwed up!
The baby might be born "fine" or "healthy", but who know the lasting affects it will have when this child is developing later on it life.  It will have already been exposed to harmful drugs that will lead to a highly addictive personailty.  Alot of these babies will have severe ADD later on in their school years or learning disabilities.  So even if it appears "healthy" now there is no way of knowing.  I would tell her to quit all of the bad things now and get help in doing so if she cant do it herself.