Maternal & Child Community
WORRIED: Only seen Gestational Sac at 6 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

LMP due first week of January. I usually have a 31 cycle and regular peroids.  I have had HGC levels drawn and they were increasing but about every 4 days not every 2 like they like to see.  1/30  60
      2/2   123
      * 2/8 410
      2/12  800
      2/14  1180

I understood that this may be a bad sign.  After worrying and worrying I demanded an ultrasound to see what was going on.  I should have been 6 weeks yesterday on 2/15  ???  They saw a gestational sac with a speck noted inside.  Tech says Im only 4 1/2 weeks...  Yes I know this may end up in miscarriage and It may be just growing at a slow rate.  I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.  HELP?  
I went through the exact same thing at 6 weeks! DO NOT PANIC YET! :) I was so worried....crying, vomiting, just a mess for a whole week. Went back and had another u/s in a week and there was that tiny baby and heartbeat! I am 12.5 weeks now and things are fine with my little one! Keep us updated!
I am at the same page you are.  I am at eight weeks now, but still scared.  I was spotting my first two weeks, and had blood drawn every other day.  Levels were rising as expected, still worried, went for ultrasound, only saw gest. and yolk sac.  This was at 5 and half weeks.  Was so scared, went for another sonogram at 6 and half weeks and saw fetal pole and heartbeat.  BUt I feel liek my fetal pole was so small compared to what you read it should measure, mine is at 63cm.  So now at 8 weeks, I have to go again on tuesday to check the growth,  But you will see, I am sure you wil see a fetal pole and hb on your next sonogram.  Good luck to you and I hope my "boat" helped you out.
I agree--DO NOT PANIC!!! I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 6 days and all they saw was a sac! I spent two weeks in agony, and went back at 8 weeks to see my baby with great heartbeat!!!
I don't think ultrasounds should even be given at this early stage---or at the least, Doctors should explain that is CAN BE PERFECTLY NORMAL to only see a sac at this point.
So many women are put through TORTURE because of this.

Oh--also, the tech said I looked like I was only 41/2 weeks too--my uterine lining was only measuring for that. But I KNEW I was 5 weeks 6 days.
But at that 8 week ultrasound--everything measured 8 weeks!!!!
SO DON'T WORRY YET!! I think we need to realize, that just like a living baby, an embryo or fetus can also vary at the rate it grows.
I am betting you will find all is well next ultrasound!!!
hi try not to worry about it i was told that i should have been 6 1/2 weeks on the 12 of feb according to my lmp but my u/s said i was only 4weeks 6 day and they only saw a sac have had more b/w done and levels are now starting to rise the way they would like them too so just wait hang in there and ask for another u/s you know Dr and machines can be wrong at times good luck and god bless hope all is well dont give up hope i wish u and your lil one all the best  god bless
Wow.... so many responses in such a little time .  First of all I want to say GOD BLESS EVERY WOMEN ON THIS SITE, and may God give everyone more than they could ever dream of having with their children.  I want to say thank you to everyone who brightened my afternoon when I have spent the whole day in my office red faced any having an emotional breakdown as is seems.  It's amazing how babies do seem to grow all on their own rate when we all look for some chart to tell us if our dreams will be shattered or not.  I too was told I had a growth of someone at 4 1/2 weeks when I had my last peroid on Jan 1st.  I do feel at this point whatever happends will happend and the waiting game seems to be the hardest.  I went in today knowing I could take the bad news or the good news .. but the constant uncertainty can kill you.  You always seem to get.. "well your numbers aren't sooo great, but ive seen worse that has made it"  Whatever happened to nurses and doctors being alittle bit more sensitive to people who have been taking temps and checking vaginal mucus for 10 yrs.. hugh?  WHERE'S THE COMPASSION ?
oops 6 and a half weeks.. but still thats wow-whats going on there?I think you may have had a typo hun
63 cm at 5 and some weeks? Wow I didn't think that was possible since the average at 12 weeks is 5cm. You must have a really big baby growing in there or you made a typo-I'm just curious-is not meant to be insaulting was just really shocked!:)
Update... trying to take it easy today.  Still spotting dark red/brown only when i go to the bathroom.  Im not cramping or having heavy bleeding.  My HGC levels were not doubling every 48 hours like they liked even though my numbers were steadily increasing with a doubling rate of about every 3 1/2-4 days.  I am optimistic yet I am comfortable in the fact that I am doing EVERYTHING i can to keep my baby.  Im on progesterone supplements due to a 10 level of progesterone a week ago.  Im taking my vitamins and I am choosing to not stress out now because I know that stressing is NOT going to help matters at this point.  Yes it is hard not too and it keeps poping back in my head every few minutes... But if things go bad I can take SOME comfort in knowing I did all i could.  Thanks to everyone for helping my hopes up.
It was a typo, should read .63cm  Thats why I feel it is so small.  I read somewhere that the fetus should measure .75 at this time.
Thank you Jenny 100 for your post. I did my ultrasound at 5w 6d, too...and we only saw a gestational sac.

My sonographer told me it was PEFECTLY NORMAL to only see a sac. IN fact, she said in the 23 years she's been doing this...she NEVER gives out pictures at a 6 week sono b/c you simply cannot see anything.  

I was worried for hours...but had to focus on what she told me. She looked at my photos and said it all looks "great" and "very textbook".  I go back to see her at 9w and she said to expect to see a little kidney bean!!

Jenny100, Your comment helped me soooo much.
I am so happy that my experience could help someone! That is the only good thing that has come out of all the stress I have been through!

I really think that early ultrasounds shouldn't happen; everyone should wait until 8 weeks before they have one. It would save so many poor women from going through all the stress and agony. Before 8 weeks, it just varies too much to know for certain what is going on.

I truly hope everything is well with your pregnancy! I wish you the best of luck and will keep you in my prayers!
Today I had an ultrasound done that said I was 4 weeks/4 days pregnant, but I know, due to ovulation tests that I am 5 weeks/4 days pregnant. I am so worried!!! My HCG was 6,670 which is good, but dr. said ultrasound it accurate and the baby probably isnt developing properly. Anyone had this experience before? I go back for another ultrasound in 7 days, but I dont know how I can wait that long. Please HELP!!!
I also have the same problem. I had a mis- miscarriage in 2007. I have been trying to get pregnant again since then. Did IUI in April 2010. It did not work. Became pregnant on my own in May 2010. Went in for 6weeks ultrasound on June 21, 2010. All they saw was gestational sac, maybe two. They took my beta level and it was only 6920. Doctor said it should be lot higher. My beta was 203 on June 4th and 940 on June 7th. Now I go back in tomorrow for another blood beta test to see if my levels are rising. I am praying so much and so worried.
I wanted to make sure I came back and posted. I went to my doctor today. 19 days since my last ultrasound I have a baby with a fetal heartbeat. I am so excited. I can't believe it. My doctor said I was just too early when I went in for my last ultrasound. So those  of you out there that see  only gestational sac at 6 weeks don't giveup. Give it more time. Wait it out. I am so glad that I did. Miracles can definitely happened.  After 5years of trying my day finally came. I have had a miscarriage been through 2 septum removal surgeries. And now my day has finally arrived. I thank god so much for this wonderful moment In my life. Now I will continue to pray for my little be baby to keep growing strong each day and be healthy. Good luck to all of you out there. May your dream of becoming a great mommy come true soon. Sending lots of babydust and love your way.
Good luck.
I would just like to post this as this has been a useful tool for myself and given me hope through a worrying time.  
My LMP was the 24/05/2010, then had positive pregnancy test on the 28/06/10, further to that I had a scan on the 13/07/10 as some bdo discomfort and there was only a gestational sac and i was meant to be 6 weeks.  Saw Doctorand he explained that it might me too early, may have ovulated late, blighted ovum or miscarriage.  So went home and worried for 2 weeks as had a further scan booked for 14 days later.  Still had preg symptoms,  had th scan on the 26/07/10 and there was a 7wk5day fetus and fetal heart movement. IF YOU ONLY SEE A GESTATIONAL SAC AT 6WEEKS PLEASE DONT PANIC IT MAY TURN OUT OK, as it did for me.  
Take Care
Hannah
can somebody please help me,im new on this  thread and is on the same situation .i had u/s 2day and my doctor said im 5w3days pregnant according to my LMP but according to the u.s i am 6weeks2days preg with 13.6 gestational sac but no yolk sac or embryo. the doctor prescribed me with duphaston 3x daily for 2 weeks but after reading a lot from the net,i got confused and scared of taking this drug.Theres not even a yolk sac or embryo,so im worried what will be the use of duphaston with only gestational sac,and im scared because it might just cause me to stop pregnancy or development of the sac or embryo.please advise me if anyone has been on the same situation whre the doctor prescribed duphaston after only seeing gestational sac with no yolk or emryo.Thank you
Hello ladies, i see that the above posts are all from 2007 thru 2010 so I ask ladies with 6 weeks and just a gestational sac (AHarris), did the pregnancy ever make it all the way to a baby? I hope all went okay with the pregnancy. However, we found out 2 days before christmas that I had a low positive on the pregnancy test. I was prescribed compound progesterone and I was advised to go back for blood work in 4 days due to the holidays. HcG levels and progesterone have both been rising since. I am 6 weeks, 1 day pregnant today Jan 5th 2012 and was just able to see a gestational sac. No yolk sac yet. My HcG levels were at 2948 and progesterone was 21 yesterday on Jan 4th 2012 which is low as per the doctor. I did have some vaginal bleeding on Jan 3rd 2012. I am being told by the doctor that she should have been able to see more than just a gestation sac at 6 weeks and she is not considering this as a normal pregnancy. Also my implanation is a little lower than it should be. She doesnt think it is a tubal pregnancy though since she saw the gestation sac. I go back for an ultrasound on Monday, in 4 days and a blood test. Hoping for the best. This is my second baby so not in panic mode yet! I would rather hear the good/bad news now than later in pregnancy. I am worried but not stressing myself out but really curious as to what to expect. BTW, I was on fertility meds because I have issues with ovulation and hence irregular periods.
Hi all. I am new to the site. This is my 4th pregnancy, have 2 little girls and lost a baby in july last year. My last period was 20 november, but I don't think that i ovulated til around 7/8 december and we also had sex then. I have been using clearblue pregnancy tests that have gone up from 1-2 weeks pregnant then 2-3 but haven't moved since. I haven't also really felt pregnant, ie no sickness, so they did an early scan yesterday as I was anxious. It showed only a gestational sac of 4 weeks, whereas by my calculations I should be 6 weeks, and by my lmp dates it should be 7 weeks. It didn't feel great to me that it was so far behind where expected, and this combined with my lack of sickness and anxiety about it all led me to ask for bloods. They wouldn't do any as they said that they couldn't get a concrete result from them that would change anything - really frustrating. i am booked in for another scan in 2 weeks. Later yesterday afternoon I started to spot pink striped mucus, and it did seem to have stopped this morning with just a little bit of old blood. However, it has started again, just spotting/red striped mucus. I phoned the hospital and at this stage they have said that there isn't anything to concern them hugely and that I just need to see what happens. Surely they should at least check my blood levels?
Hi there! How is everything going for you? I read your post and I was eager to see something current.
I am currently 6 weeks and I had an ultrasound yesterday, measuring small. all they could see was a very small sac. My hcg levels were 1282. I am really worried. I go back again tomorrow for another hcg. i will also have another ultrasound on monday. I'm just so nervous. I also lost all my pregnancy symtoms (symptoms) one week ago.
Thank you so much for this post.  I am waiting for the OB to call me with my HGC levels as i type.  Need some encouragement that the dates are just off and she is wrong and my Izzy is ok and just being "shy" :'(