Maternal & Child Community
Waiting for miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Waiting for miscarriage

Hi Ladies,
Ok, as some of you know I have a blighted ovum pregnancy. I was undecided between medical abortion or D&C. This morning I got my test results back and my hormones are dropping(went from 28000 to 24360 in couple of days). Considering that I've had 2 D&Cs before, do you think I should wait and give it a chance for natural miscarriage? Do you know approx. how long it takes till the miscarriage is complete once the hormones start dropping. Please share your insights. Need you advice.Thanks.
a miscarriage can last for several hours or even up to sveral days. have you had more than one?
Yes, but I had D&C before I even start bleeding. This time, I still am not spotting or anything, but my hormone levels have just started to go down. I prefer to wait for natural miscarriage, but am not sure if I will start bleeding soon.
HI:

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.  I've had 3 blighted ova so I know how you feel.

My docs recommend having a D&C.  Apparently 1 out of 5 times you'll end up needing one anyway.  

For me, it helps me move on.  I can't imagine waiting for it.  

Good luck, and sorry again.
I think you should do what you feel is right in your heart.  I too had a blighted Ova when I was 10 weeks w/ my first pregnancy.  When I found out the Dr. gave me the choice.  He sent me home with the pills to take or if I felt like waiting it out he was ok with that too.  He didn't feel D&C was necessary for me since the baby didn't develope.  I chose to wait (I had a wedding to attend that weekend) From the day I first spotted it took an additional week before I miscarried (I continued to spot that week).  I was at work and started to feel cramps, it was just like contractions to me, they would start then stop, then start then stop.  Finaly when I made it home I started to bleed more heavey and within a few hours it was over.  I did shed the sac it was grey like, and was different than the regular blood clots.  This happened to me March 06 and I am still happy to day that I waited it out.  I think if it happened again I would do the same.  Although every pregnancy is different so It all depends on your feelings at that time.  Go with what your heart tells you.  Best wishes to you, I am sorry for your not so good news.  Keep your chin up and keep your thoughts positive.  

I have since had another miscarriage and still TTC....hoping this month might be a bright one.
Thanks and good luck with TTC:)