Maternal & Child Community
Walking on Tip Toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Walking on Tip Toes

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their child walking on his or her toes??  My dd does not do this constantly but she will almost always take a few steps on her toes wherever she goes whether or not she has shoes on.  My sister said it can lead to shortened calf muscles.  Is there any truth to that??  Do you have any ideas on how to get her not to do this?? (she is 18 months and has been walking for 6 months)
my daughter did this when she first started walking ( 10 mths) but after a week or two she just started walking flat on her feet... so i think they all go through this..
It has been 6 months though so it doesn't seem like just a phase.  I am not sure how to discourage it exactly...
Some kids just do that a lot.  My husband still does it sometimes -- he was standing at a tall counter at the auto parts store the other day and I was watching from a distance and noticed that in his boredom or impatience for something to happen, he had absentmindedly risen onto his toes.  It's exactly the same move that his sister's little girl does. :)  I'm sure he has done it since he was a boy.   I have read that it is associated with impatience (not the bad way, but eagerness) when kids do it.  It will not harm the calf muscles.
I have a step brother in his 30's that has done this his whole life.. he told me when he was younger is nickname was tippy... His is because the tendons or ligaments (not sure which) aren't long enough..  

I'm not saying that is Izzy's deal.. maybe she is just balancing alittle forward or something... does she have a well care checkup at 18 months?  If so would ask the dr about it then...
Some kids do this, and it can be a part of typical development.

My girlfriend's son (26 months) still does it constantly. The ped is not concerned.

This past year, I had a 4 1/2 yr old who still did this, so I consulted the school's special ed teacher and the OT. I was told that even at that age, it can be a part of normal development, and that while he was a bit old to still be doing it, it could just be one of his quirks and he may still outgrow it. This was in the winter, and I was concerned because he seemed to be doing it more and more, and he was also tripping over his feet a lot. Despite being a very severe case, he actually began to show A LOT of improvement by June.

I would mention it to your ped at the next visit, but definitely don't stress about it. If she had other physical problems, or if it interfered with her movement, then I would ask about PT, but it sounds like she's OK.
My son always walked on tip-toes...he could not stand flat.  The tip-toe walking was a result of tight calf muscles (it didn't lead to them).  He had several months of weekly PT with daily stretches with us and his daycare provider.  Now he is fine, although he still likes to tiptoe now and then.

My DH 'always' was on tiptoes, according to my MIL.  Knowing what we do about our son, I'd venture a guess that my DH could've used PT at the time.  He is the most physically inflexible, uncoordinated person I've ever met.  (and I say that with love, of course)

Can your daughter stand flat?  Does she sit in the 'W' position on the floor?  Our PT said that is not good for kids.
Both of my sisters girls do this.  I don't think anyone is concerned. They kind of prance around and then sometimes walk flat. they are 2 and 4. I'm sure she's just fine :)
From my experience, 9 times out of 10, tiptoeing is idiopathic in nature and does not call for concern.

With that said, some of the causes for tiptoeing can be something as simple as a tight achilles tendon, to a mild case of cerebral palsy, (which I've seen) to other more serious diseases.

Tiptoeing seems to be more prominent in girls than in boys, but that is just my own observation.

Mention it to her pedi, but I really wouldn't worry over it.

I've seen similar discussions here on this same topic...it is funny how many times I see people say "don't worry."  But based upon my own experience with my son, I would always recommend that parents get this checked out.  Obviously it is of some concern to the OP or she wouldn't have mentioned it here at all.  Our early intervention into our son's issues were key to him being right where he should be in his physical development now, despite the fact that he had gross motor delays due to his tight achilles (which manifested itself through tiptoe walking).

Of course, this child MAY WELL BE perfectly fine!  It just always amazes me to see the number of "don't worry about it"s here.