Maternal & Child Community
Was the U/S tech right?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Was the U/S tech right?

I went to have an ultrasound done when I was 19 weeks. I have been wanting a boy and when the tech said it was a boy I was more than happy to accept it. Later, I showed someone the ultrasound pic and they made the comment that bc you couldnt see the scrotum, it wasnt positively a boy and that what looked like the penis could actually be the umbilical cord or one of his fingers. That got me a little worried so I was just wanting a second opinion on this. Thanks in advance for all your help.

*In both these pics, she zoomed in so all you can see is his leg and penis. In both, the penis is right below the words.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t144/mindi01_photos/boy.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t144/mindi01_photos/yboy.jpg
Hi.

No pun intended it's quite hard to tell.

I have just had a quick look at the pics, not being a sonographer the fact that boy written under it only tells me to look for baby's bits.

Are you due any more scans before the baby arrives? Perhaps they could do a re-check to be sure and put your mind at ease.

Trust me when you have your beautiful bouncing baby in your arms for the first time you won't care what sex it is as long as it's healthy.

Claire
I would go with the boy!  I had a girl and there are 3 white lines inbetween the legs and I don't see that with yours.
Congrats, I'm sure she knows what she is doing.
Unless the person that looked at your picture and said 'that since you couldn't see the scrotum, it could be something else' is a trained sonographer(not even sure if that is a word!) I would go with what they told you at the sonogram!  I looked at both pictures, and even though I'm not trained to do sonograms, it looks like a boy to me!  I have a son and my sonogram pictures looked much like yours!  Congratulations!  If you are REALLY worried, I would ask your dr. if maybe they will check it one more time.
thanks soo much. I am going for a 3D in July so I figured I would have them double check for me.
Yeah, I will love it regardless I'd just like to know whether to buy blue or pink!
Thanks again!!!
i would say boy, i  just had an us and they told me they thought i was havin a girl, she said she saw what looked like a hamburger, kinda weird , but she said she didnt see any boy parts, but ill know for sure in 2 weeks when i get my 3d one done
i had a boy 10 months ago & thats wat it looked like for me sooo id say a boy!!! congrats & good luck
I just got an ultrasound and was shown a girl.  I could see three white lines very clearly.  And I am not trained in the least but in the first one... it kind of does look like htere is a scrotum under the bump... but I could be looking for it.  Anyway, looks nothing like my girl pics that's all I can say for certain!
Girls do have "3 white lines"....
I would trust the person who gets paid to analzye this, not a personal opinion of others.  
They judged my girl by looking between the legs and not seeing a penis.  The tech at that time was 80% positive its a girl... god I'm hoping she wasn't wrong now, I have been getting little presents from people for girls, all pink lol.
I did not look at the pictures yet, but have 2 boys.  I know with ours you see a blob between the legs, and depending on the angle you can see the "turtle."  My friends that have girls all said the lines were very obvious though when the tech found them.  I would trust the tech, but accidents can happen, you never know till you are holding your little one, as an above poster said.  I would go with the trained pro's word though versus someone who is looking at only a picture, depending on when they snapped it you may not have a clear shot.  Either way congrats!  I had another u/s done with my first one from 36 weeks and then each week after that since he kept turning.  Anyway, they turned on the machine thinking they would see the head, and instead we saw that my little boy was not shy.  It was very clear at that point.  Maybe you'll get to see again too.
another thought- just to make sure take the pic with you to your next ob checkup and ask your dr to confirm.
Thanks tons! I feel soo much better now. I also thought that it looked like you might be able to see the scrotum too. I am soo glad that I posted this. To the one who was told she was having a girl and is getting pink gifts, I hope they werent wrong either!!! I cant remember all the others, that just stood out to me. Thanks again for all your help!
Yes I'm pretty sure I can see the scrotum too!!!

Good Luck!!

Hayley xx
the testis don;t descemd into the scrotum tilll weeks 30-32  so you would have a hard time seeing the scrotum