Maternal & Child Community
Water Birth and other Birthing Options

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Water Birth and other Birthing Options

Hello

I am having a very normal healthy pregnancy and was wondering if anyone has ever given birth in a hospital in a birthing pool.  I am just trying to explore all of my options.

Also, how many of you had a natural birth without an epidural?

I have heard both good and bad things about the epideral like if it is injected incorrectly, it can be very painful for a long time.   Also, it may slow down labor.

I am afraid that if I opt not to take an epidural, will it be too late to get one if I am in excruciating pain?

I start my birthing class next week, but just wanted other folks' opinions.
well i would like to try water birth but my hospital doesnt offer it.  

my last live birth was 16 years ago and i didnt opt for the epidural.  we just had a natural birth.  I had 7 1/2 hrs of pushing and what not.  I am a big wussy girl and I made it.  I hope that its good this time as well.  good luck.
I'm trying to go natural.  I don't see birth as a medical procedure.  (I know that sometimes medical intervention is needed, I'm not saying that.) We're hiring a doula to help us out and I will have a midwife that assist at the labor.  There are a few places here that offer water births and from what I understand, most women LOVE that. You should read some good books on natural childbirth.  They're are pretty empowering.  See if you can find "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth".  It's a little hippie, but still very good. Good luck.  I hope it works out for you.
I had a natural childbirth.  18 hours of hard labor but I made it through. I was scared to death cause a lady in the next room was screaming her head off but it really wasn't that bad.  Painful but not unbearable.
Well, darn--just called my birthing center and they don't offer birthing pools.  I hear so many good things about them--don't underdstand why that can't be offered.
If your birthing centers do not offer water births then the only way you could probably get one is if you had a home birth. Have you researched that avenue?
I did not have the option of a water birth--where I live the don't have the option for an epidural either.  Both of mine were induced births and I made it through with out the epi.  Just stay focused and trust in your partner who is there to help.
I just read your post on down. Call around and see if there are other birthing centers. If not, you may have to do as the other post mentioned. At home.
YOU SHOULD DO A HOME BIRTH AND YOU CAN HAVE A POOL THAT YOUR HOME WHERE YOU CAN GIVE BIRTH TO YOUR BABY. AKS ABOUT THAT ALSO MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP YOU ON THAT. IT IS CALLED A HOME BIRTH
Just a thought...if you can't have the baby in the water, does your hospital/birthing center have tubs at least in the room? I have heard that much of the water experience is most helpful in the earlier stages when the contractions are getting painful. Many women find natural pain relief there and I was just thinking you could use it as a tool to avoid an epi and just get out during the last stage.
I took the epidural, but had a long induction and over 38 hours of active hard labor.  I think it depends, but the classes make a big difference.  It's nice to know the options and hear about it from a nurse.  At the hospital I was in, they didn't have water births or big pools, but they did have whirlpool tubs in all of the bathrooms, I used the tub on the first day of my labor, I preferred taking a shower though, but maybe your Dr. will compromise and let you do something like that, or look into a midwife and birthing center.  I wanted to be at the hospital in case I needed the meds, plus I ended up going way overdue anyway.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
Alot of hospitals don't offer it. My Dr does not offer it. If you really want a water birth, try having a midwife who does offer it. There are some places that have birthing centers with midwives that believe in natural childbirth. I heard they are alot more cheaper than having the baby in a hospital. The only thing is checking with your insurance if you have it to see if they cover childbirth outside of hospitals.
I'm also really wanting to go the natural route if at all possible. I've heard more bad things about epidurals so I'd really like to go without. I too realize there are some cases where drugs are needed (ex: C-section), but I'm just trying to stay positive and focus on a drug free delivery, and if something happens that I need drugs, then so be it. My real focus is to have a healthy baby.
I signed up for the classes at my hospital too and will go in Aug and Sep. I'm due in Oct and really getting excited. Good luck to you.
hi i had a water birth with my first child and she was born in the water it was such a nice experience i would recomend ot to any one i never needed any pain with relief with the labour
Check out www.waterbirth.org for more information about renting a pool or video about water birth.  I've thought seriously about water birth as an option.  I've heard it's a great experience.  In Switzerland, water birth is offered to all patients and 50% choose that option.  A survey showed that those who used water birth were much more pleased with the birthing process than those who chose other options.  I've heard the water is very liberating, comfortable, and allows the mother to birth more naturally (in control of contractions and less medication).  Good luck to you!