Maternal & Child Community
Web Site or Info on Toddler Development

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Web Site or Info on Toddler Development

I've been trying to find a web site that will list some of the major milestones of toddler development to see where my son stands. His speech therapist was here the other day and she acted surprised that he already knew a lot of  shapes and colors, and that he is able to point to one object at a time when "counting" or when she would name things. (he doesn't really count, but he will say "huh, huh, huh" slowly as he points to each object).  I thought that kids were supposed to already know their shapes around the age of two (he'll be 20 months on the 14th), but I really have no clue. He knows about 7 shapes so far.

I don't really know if I'm teaching him the right things for his age. But if he holds something up, I tell him exactly what it is, whether it's beyond his knowledge or not (ex: Octagon).  Isn't that what I'm supposed to do? Or am I overwhelming him? She didn't say anything negative, but it DID get me thinking about all the stuff I teach him and whether or not I'm missing OTHER key milestones in his development in the long run.

Anyone know of any links or have info on this sort of thing?

http://www.babycenter.com/milestone-charts-birth-to-age-3
i like this website a lot.