Maternal & Child Community
Weight gain calculators

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Weight gain calculators

Hello ladies!  I have a question:  I am 15 weeks and am trying to see if my weight falls within a healthy norm, and I'm very confused!  I've checked 3 pregnancy weight calculators, and they have all given me wildly different results.  They all take prepregnancy weights to calculate from.

http://www.allaboutmoms.com/weight.htm

Says a healthy weight for me know is 125 - 122. (I am 125)

http://www.paternityangel.com/Preg_info_zone/Weight/CalcWeight.htm

This one takes height into consideration and says I should     weigh between 128 - 131.

http://www.thebabycorner.com/pregnancy/weightcalculator.php

THIS one (no height included) says I should weigh between 133 - 139!  

So I am either seriously underweight, or at the top of my recommended weight range, depending on which calculator I use.  How frustrating and confusing is this??

My doctor says roughly 1/2 lb a week for the first trimester, which puts me at about 1/2 lb under at this point.
Avatar n tn
I was told 2-4 lbs for my first trimester and then about a pound a week for the 2nd and 3rd, for an average weight person. So far I have gained 2 lbs and my 2nd trimester starts wednesday : )
Avatar n tn
I can't tell you how thrilled I am for you.  Is this the farthest you've gone since your little boy?  I think we should throw a HUGE party when you hit that 2nd trimester!!!  :)

So...let's see.  4 lbs first trimester, 2.5 lbs since then.  Dang, I'm still a 1/2 lb short!  That's not as scary as 8 lbs, for sure. LOL  Time to beef up the menu I think.
Avatar n tn
I am actually 124.5, but the calculators don't let you add 1/2 numbers.  That's how I'm coming up with 1/2 lb off.
Avatar n tn
I would try not to worry too much. I lost a little over ten pounds my first trimester, and then gained steadily the last two. Ended up with a perfectly healthy little girl. As long as you're healthy and baby is growing I would try not to fret about the half pounds and such(although I know how incredibly hard it is not to)! Congratulations on your pregnancy BTW it sounds like you're very excited!
Avatar n tn
i wouldn't worry if ur doctors aren't.
i gained 20 lbs each trimester with both of my pregnancies. i was about 125lbs before i got pregnant with my first and i got up to 186 lbs at the end and with my second i started at 130lbs and got up to 185lbs.
everyones different.
I wouldn't worry if the dr. doesn't.  I didn't gain any weight in my 1st trimester and last week I had gained a total of 11 lbs and I was 24 weeks.  Everyone is different and as long as your dr. is fine with it, you are fine....
Avatar n tn
Thanks everyone.  I just found those calculators to be worrisome.  I'm much better today.  I plan on eating lots over Thankgiving and Christmas, so I'll probably pack them on in the next couple of months. :)
Avatar n tn
Veyr much so, I don't even look at them : ) With my son, I gained 20 in the first trimester, lost that 20 in my 4th month, didn't gain any weight my entire 2nd trimester. In my last trimester I gained 40 lbs total (20 was water weight put on in the last 2 weeks!!) Good news was by the time i went in for my 10 days PP checkup, I had lost all 40 and then some, God bless breastfeeding!!

Andrea