Maternal & Child Community
What ages does a baby sit up on their own?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When my daughter was about 2 months, my mom put her fingers in her hands and pulled her up from a laying position to a sitting position.  She tried to follow along but I she wasnt strong enough at that time. But after she did that, she's been trying to sit up on her own ever since.  When I woke up this morning, I saw her trying hard to sit up on her own (she's 4 months) and she has gotten better at it.  But my mom says she can hurt herself from strain. Is this true? I think I remember my dr saying that babies usually sit up by around 5 months. But she'll be 5 months soon and I not there yet. At what age did your babies sit up?
usually between 6 to 8 months is when a baby can fully support themselves sitting up, sounds like your dd is heading in the right direction though, give it time and enjoy it all!!
Got a question for you.  Ryan will be 4months old on the 19 and he is still having head contol issues. He holds it up but it goes back some.  He can't support weight on his arms at all.  He does lift his head 90 degrees when on his belly.  Can your daughter bear weight on her arms.  Ryan has not even rolled yet.  I am a little worried
ps my dd could sit up on her own at 7 months, my ds at 9 months.
I do believe it's around 5 or 6 months.  That's when both of mine sat up and stayed.
I think mine was 6 months when she sat up by herself, (it's down hill from there). Take advantage whiile their immobile :)
By 6-7 months Sam could sit up but I always had to put his boppy around him as he would tipple over often, about 8 months he began to get better but would tip over if he reached out too far for a toy and now at 9 months he sits and plays no problems.
My daughter can bear a little weight on her arms when she's on her tummy. But then she has to take breaks..lol
When you say that he has head control issues, do you mean when he's on his tummy or upright? My daughter hardly rolls from her  back to her tummy. Just from her back to her side.  And she's hardly ever rolls from her tummy to her side.  I guess she needs more tummy time.  Do you give ryan tummy time?
One more question while I'm at it.  At what age does baby usuall hold the bottle on their own?
It only goes back when he is upright.  No tummy time for Ryan because he screams.  I tried almost everyday and just said heck with it.  I hold him upright most of the time.  
If I place my 5 month old sitting up she can sit there up on her own for about a minute before falling sideways or backwards or frontwards. haha  Her head is top heavy but she cannot go from laying down to sitting up on her own. She tries - she has tried for a long time but she cant.  It did take her a while to get the arm strength to hold her head up while on her belly.  I practiced at this for a while before she got it at around 4 months - before that she would have suffocated on her belly.  She just started the sitting up on her own this week and she started rolling over about a month ago.  she can stand while I hold her fingers too and she will take one step that way and I did leave go of her once and she stood for a couple seconds before falling to her butt.  I dont do that anymore it is way too soon but I had to try.  
Zoe is almost 6 months old and is trying to hold her own bottle now. She held it the other day during the entire feeding, she loves her bottle. She can see it from across the room and start whining for it, lol!!! How are you doing by the way. I haven't been on here in months! I decided I have to come back, I miss you all!!!! XO
My son is 9 months old; he can sit up fine by himself and can lift and hold things, but he hasn't yet gotten the right idea about tilting his bottle.  He can hold it, but not drink from it because he doesn't know to tip the bottom up in the air.
Hi! maybe that's why my daughter is so chunky..lol She hold her own bottle now and I have to fight her to get it back when she's done. I'm wondering because my friends daughter just turned 1 and she just started to hold her bottle.  So that's a hugh difference in age.
I think my daughter got good with her head because of the acid actually.  When she was smaller, she would sleep best on her tummy. So I would let her nap (and only when I was awake) on her tummy. The acid didnt seem to bother her when she slept that way. But now she hates being on her tummy.  I bought her one of those colorful gym things and put her on her tummy on that. It has colors and little things to touch. Maybe it'll help entertain him on his tummy.
I think that her head is to heavy for her to sit up! lol She has her dads head.  But she sure struggles to sit up. I havent tried to leave her sitting alone. I guess that would be ok for her huh? I just dont want her to hurt herself.
Does Soraya take ownership of her toys now?  If Eva has one in her hands and I take it from her she FLIPS out.  Stomps her feet and her face gets read and the lip goes up and then the yell.  She tries to hold all her toys at the same time and if one falls she gets mad too.  Oh, and she sucks on her index finger all the time and now it is raw.  I cant put meds on it because she sucks on it so the doctor said to just leave it alone.  She is a crazy kid.
lol thats so funny..I wish I could see that. It must be so funny..She doesnt really mind if I take her toys. There usually in her mouth so I guess she's use to me taking them out ..lol Then she immediately replaces it with her fists..lol Their so freaking cute..
What she does do is pull the blankets, or whatever is near her, onto her face.. It's cute but sometimes she does in in the middle of the night and I wake up and see it on her face. Scares the **** out of me.  I was told that they cant suficate unless there is pressure applied but, who's going to test that theory out. Thats her bad habit.
yea, that would give me a heartattack too. haha  They all do the same stuff at the same ages almost I wonder why when boys turn 18 they loose their common sense when they started off so good. hahahahahah  j/k - Eva is too spoiled I have to take her away from pop pop - I swear he would pop his eyes out of his head if it made her smile.  lol

Have a great weekend.
My Ds is 8 months old now. I let him hold onto my hands and pull himself up. But, Ds is WAY ahead of himself and would rather pull himself to standing position, not sitting. If I put a small pillow behind him, he can sit up from that without trouble. But he cannot sit up from laying flat yet. I am not all the concerned because he seems to have gotten to and mastered just about every other milestone for his age. And like I said, he's rather stand with help than sit up with no help. LoL He is almost crawling now, too. What I mean by "almost" is that he will roll from his back to his tummy, put his hands and knees underneath himself, lift himself off the floor, and rock back and forth on his hands and knees, and kind of jump forward. He hasn't quite gotten the hang of hand-knee, hand-knee crawling yet, but it is so much fun to watch.... when he's feeling well enough... Good luck! :-)
You should talk to your pediatrician about your little guy.....I'm not trying to scare you but if he is having problems with some of his motor dev. milestones....they can lead to other problems like speech....if he continues on this path you may want to consider seeing a developmental specialist or pediatrician...I would still put him in some tummy time even if he screams...the screaming may actually help him get pissed off enough where he will use those muscles to lift.
DD didn't sit until 7 months (I didn't push the sitting b/c I'd rather have her stronger core muscles than rush into it).
DD NEVER held her bottle.  She still won't hold it (she's 1) unless I hold it for her...such a lazy girl.
The twins I watch are now 5 months and still don't really bare much weight on their arms and the little boy sometimes has a hard time holding his head up.  For example when I carry him on my hip and I put my arm fairly high on his back, sometimes his head goes back.  I have heard boys develop at a slower rate and I have kind of seen that with these babies, since one is a boy and a girl.  I have placed the babies up with something behind their back and sit them up right and the first time I did this with the boy he layed himself flat on his back and wanted nothing to do with it but now he likes it but needs more support from the sides too.  The little girl actually is doing pretty good her only thing is she likes to reach for her feet and falls forward!  I feel kind of worried about the little boy, after reading this he seems kind of behind.
Sorry quick question... what "exactly" does tummy time do for babies?  I know it helps them strengthen their muscles and stuff but which ones?  Does it help with head control?  After reading this Im worried that the little boy I watch may be behind.  When he has tummy time, he never holds his head up and when he is in his exersauser his head kind of wabbles.
i have a 4 mth old and she hasnt sat up or rolled over yet, is that strange? shes sort of fat and a little lazy at times. he cries when i put her on her tummy and she moves her legs but thats it. every morning i cant wait to see if she rolls over or not. i know that every child is different and they dont experience things in the same time frame but im getting worried. shell be 5 mths on the 31st of this mth. i just want her to be normal. she is my first and only child so i dont know what the norms are.
Sitting up isn't a good indicator of a developmental milestone.  They will do it when they have hip extenders.  Some babies are more developed earlier, som later.  My first son was sitting pretty well around 5 months, but didn't roll either till almost 5 months.  He was very sick early on so we were told not to worry and that he wasn't behind.  My second little guy was rolling both ways at 6 weeks, not often, but well.  He was also really sick early on, but didn't have the ear problems the first one had.  Cam rolls everywhere at 6 months, scoots, not quite crawling on all 4's, but he still gets across the room fast!  He cannot sit up on his own yet,  Getting closer, but not there yet.  Each baby is different.  My little guys are big too, Cam is 18 lbs., he slowed his weight gain getting really sick again, but I'm glad he's a big boy, it's mostly muscle though, he's very solid and very active.  Most babes don't like tummy time, but they get used to it.  Cam is a little weirdo, he loves his tummy.  If you lay him on his back ,first thing he does is flip to the tummy.  I wouldn't worry if baby doesn't like their tummy, just be persistent and keep it up.  They need to stregthen their neck, arm, and leg muscles.  At 4 or 5 months they should have good control of their head, but rolling may not be there quite yet,.
Tummy time helps babies strengthen their neck and trunk, (the trunk is basiacally the muscles from the chest to the hips), even when a baby sits up they still need tummy time. Trunk strength is vital for ever gross motor develpoment stage. Even though my baby sits up well I rarely let him sit and play, he is nearly always on his tummy "creep crawling" about. My eldest has medical issues that delayed his milestones pretty significantlly and due to surgery was not able to have tummy time, to this day his trunk is really weak and he W sits alot(imagine the middle point of the W is his bottom and the two bottom points are his knees) and that is not really very good for their hips. My nine month old rolled both ways at 5 months (with a little experimenting and getting stuck in the weeks prior) sat pretty well by 8 months (probably sooner if I had sat him up more often but as I said I left him on his tummy more) and began creep crawling at 8 1/2 months, his doctor said he is within the normal range for all these milestones. Nubian queen there is no need to worry about your baby just yet, just keep making sure she gets her tummy time.
My Baby was holding her bottle at 12 weeks and she starting sitting and playing by helself at 6 1/2 months. She has just hit 7 months and is fully able to just sit and play by herself. As for crawling she slides along the floor but doesnt seem interested in getting on all 4 and doing the whole crawl thing yet

Im new to this, ha this is my first time writing i have a 4 month 3 week old and mim pregnant with baby number 2 im bound to have irish twins. BUT OK enough about me im responding because my daughter rolls over from tummy to back/back to tummy and holds her bottle here and there when shes not overly tired and has great control of her head BUT the only thing that concerns me is is she does try pulling her self up to stand and i heard multiple times that can cause a baby to become bullegged so i dont let her do it much? and she sits on the couch alone but she still needs a lot of support on when trying to sit when playing on the floor.
My daughter is five months and she has been sitting up at four months. Now im wondering what she will be doing at eight months.
my son is 4 months & 1 week old. he is rolling all the way from back to belly then to his back again, and tries to sit up from laying position, and can support himself somewhat while sitting with his arms. can he hurt himself from trying to do so much at such a young age?