Maternal & Child Community
What causes brown spotting in second trimester????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Do any of you have any idea what causes the brown spotting? Every few days I get some dark brown/light pink discharge. No cramping and then a few days of no spotting. I have not bd'ed near the spotting incidents so I cannot lay the blame on that. I am almost to my second trimester and figured this would end. Baby is always checked out and is fine. It is just very worrisome and I always get so distressed when I see it.

Also did any of you notice that your actual stomach area started to feel pulled. I am used to the lower female area stretching but not this upper area stuff.
Anyone :(
Sorry never heard of it.  Maybe you should call your dr just to be sure.
No doctors in on Friday and I do not want to bother the one on call. It is already gone I was just hoping someone could give me a heads up who have gone through it before and what is the possible cause.
If it persists I would call thr dr anyway to be safe. You rather be safe than sorry.  

keep me posted
well you know i had spotting up until 20 weeks.  I got it after bd-ing and after strainging and sometimes for no reason.  I called my dr twice, when it happened after sex and when it happened after straining to hard.  They told me after sex can be normal and not to strain..haha.  so everytime it happened (it was brown or very lite pink) I just took it easy.  No exercise or bd-ing for about a week.  I mentioned it to my dr every visit and they werent concerend.  I was scared to death.  but I got the doppler to hear the heart beat and that was reassurance.  I still use it now when i have little to no movement.  After a m/c I am scared to death til i see this baby in my arms, so i know how ya feel when you see blood.  Call your dr but in the mean time just try to relax.  Take it easy for the weekend.
I think I just did too much today. I lifted some heavy boxes etc and I also have a strained groin muscle. Maybe I will just do what you all said and relax.
I spotted in the 2nd tri I beleive I was around 14 weeks or so if I remember correctly and everything is fine I also spotted in the first tri too, my doctor said as long as it is not bright red no need to worry I would follow up with your doc on Monday just to be sure as you can never be to careful but I al sure everything is fine. My doctor said sometimes there is no explanation it just happends. Hope that helps....Good Luck!
Any preggers out there ever pull their groin muscle??? What can be done for it?  Only time that I can think it may have happened was during my vag exam on Tues. Not like I was spread too wide tho. :)  It hurts like hell.
Brown blood indicates old blood. So even if you didn't bd around that time it still could've been from bding, because the blood is brown. You may still want to ask your Ob just to be safe. And on the groin issue I've never pulled a muscle down there. I know I thought I pulled a muscle in the groin area and the pain is still there 14 weeks later! It was actually the baby laying on a nerve.
I am not sure but it could be from a cyst or sex or a problem with the pregnancy. How are your HCg levels? I am 6wks 6days and have brownish blood too. My dr. seems clueless.    Liz
i'm 23 weeks pregnant..and this is the third time i experienced having a dark brown spotting in the morning...i never had this on my first pregnancy..i was calling my ob yesterday,and she didnt call me back..i never had a intercourse..thats why im wondering whats wrong? is this normal? any advice?? thanks!
I too just started to spot brown very lightly.  when i went to the bathroom and wiped, i noticed it today. i called the dr. right away and he did internal us and everything looks good, i'm having twins, both heartbeats are good and no signs of bleeding inside that can be seen, and cervix is closed. i am on bed rest for next week and no sex. he doesn't know what or why but said it is old blood because it is brown, but it came from somewhere. resting could correct it, i am told by doc.  
forgot to mention i am 12 weeks 4 days.
I have just had spotting at 14 weeks. It started off as dark brown and then over the next few days changed to a more transparent browny kind of discharge. I also never had this with my first pregnancy so was really stressed out.

My OB did ultrasounds and found that a tiny bit of the membrane wall surroudning the placenta has detached. Apprarently not too worrying but rest was advised - for two weeks. Apparently the problem can fix itself. Baby and placenta were healthy and well.
I am 20 weeks and 2 days and i have had brown spotting at least twice  a day for three weeks one week no blood.  they have done ultra sounds, can't find a reason why, i am bleeding/ spotting. I am not dialated. I dunno what else to do, can i make a doctor do a vaginal exam? they just did a ultra sound when I went to the er, because i had turned the toilet water red, they heard a beat, placenta is sitting at the top., i am at my wits end i dont know what else to do. amy sugesstions cause im sick n tired of it, n only seeing it when i wipe.
I had a bleed in my 14th week and went straight to hospital, they were very dismissive and only listened to the heart beat which was fine. Saw my doctor and he did not seem worried either but listened to the heat beat again and was fine. Had a further bleed couple of days later and for the since then had brown spotting. Bought a dopler to listen to babies heart beat to reassure myself. I am due for my 16 week check with the midwife next week so will mention it to her and want to push for an ultrascan as still worried and don't want to wait for 20 week scan.  I am keeping my fingers crossed all is ok, but my health practionioners did not seem concerned i just hope they are right.
I am 16wks pregnant and have had bleeding/spotting since wk 6. It is very nerve racking but every time i have a scan/blood test - they are always fine. My dr told me i can expect to spot all through my pregnancy and that it isnt a rare occurance. Plenty of women bleed/spot through pregnancy. I just hope all goes well from here, its reassuring when i have a scan, i've had about 6 scans since falling pg. I have my next scan in 4 wks so fingers crossed all is well again. I've had pain/cramps, heavy bleeding/light bleeding/brown spotting... i've had it all!!! And they assure me bub is healthy so im trying not to worry. Good luck to you all experiencing similiar problems.
i had spotting with cramping and few clots when i was 5 weeks, 7 weeks and at 14 weeks.Each time the ultrasound showed that the baby is fine.i was put on cyclogest 400 mg suppositories and also duphastone 10 mg which is progestrone.its better to consult a doctor and by gods grace everything will be fine.god bless u.
I had the same story, 'am 17 weeks pregnant now, had spotting ON and OFF until now. I started havin' this brown discharge during my 12 weeks pregnancy. One early morning I experienced blood discharge, I really got panic and so stressed. I went to my doctor right away but baby was ok,heart beat was normal, my doctor advice me to take rest, and take duphaston tablets 3x a day for a week.Made me feel better. Everytime I had brown discharge I take tablets and drink plenty of water, I guess its normal, my doctor can't explain why,I had all the tests and ultrasound but my baby was ok. Don't worry as long as you don't experience severe abdominal pain then you don't have to worry. If you have heavy brown discharge then get back to your doctor.
Yesterday morning I went to the bathroom. I felt like I needed to make a bowel movement which has been difficult the entire pregnancy. (I'm 14 weeks 7 days, so basically 15 weeks) I looked down in the toilet and there was bright red blood. It wasn't alot. Within the hour is dissipated to brown and really only seen when I wipe. Naturally I freaked out. I haven't had ANY bleeding/ spotting so far in my pregnancy. We got a hold of the doctor and she said to rest and relax this weekend and she moved my appt I already had on Thursday to Monday morning. She said if I experienced heavy bleeding and cramps, she wanted to see me in the ER. This morning, again I felt the need to make a bowel movement but terrified to do so. I didn't go but when I wiped there was the brown blood and some clots. It's hard to wait for tomorrow when I am so worried and anxious!! Hopefully everything with the baby will be alright!
even know its late brown discharge is when you hit second trimester its old blood your body dont need or its th fluid thats preteting the baby is you start having pain call doctor or go to hospital asap