Maternal & Child Community
What do I do???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What do I do???

I should have had my period around 10/13. Instead, starting 10/10, I had some light, bright red bleeding for about 1.5 days. Then some brownish spotting. I waited until 10/22 to take a test (thinking maybe it was implantation bleeding) but alas, the dreaded negative. So, now we want to try again and I don't have a clue if that was my period (lighter than anything I've ever had, even on the pill) or if I'm still waiting for it. My husband and I want to use an ovulation predictor kit but I have no idea if I'm still waiting for my period, if it's gone, what? I'm worried we are going to miss like three months to try because my period's not coming.  Should I speak to a doc or just sit tight? And if I talk to an MD, do I need an OB (I was waiting until I was pregnant)or can my GP (who does my annuals) help me out?  Someone suggested taking provera to jump start your period, is there any reason to not do that? I may be a bit over-anxious about the whole thing but I'd like to feel normal and like we can really get started ttc again.
Taking that hpt on 10/22 would've put you almost 2 weeks past your period, which a hpt would've picked up the hcg by then.  Eventhough your period was abnormal, I would consider this your normal period.  And, if 10/10 was your cycle day 1, then you might be ovulating now (if you are a 28 day cycle gal and ovulate around day 14).  Unless this is a reoccuring problem with you, (the period irregularity), and you've been ttc for a while now, I wouldn't recommend using any type of hormone help just yet.  I'd say ttc this month, like normal, and if it happens again in the same manner, then go see the doc.  Good luck and hope that helped.
I've actually never been a 28 day gal, more around 32 days.. Light and early, you still think its safe to assume that was it? I've never been here before so I suddenly doubt/question everything!
I agree, it was probably your period.  I would recommend BBT/CM charting so you don't have this confusion in the future. By charting you will be able to determine the length of your LP, which means you won't be wondering if your AF is late or not.  You'll know by a temp drop and which day you Oed if it AF or implantation bleeding.  You can also tell if you are preg by charting b/c your temps will stay raised.
We're not doctors here, so any of this is just advice.  I'd say since it was a one time thing, and it's never happened before that you can think of, I would disregard it and consider it a normal period.  I've also heard on average, women have one month every year that they do not ovulate, so this might have been a factor as well.  If you are at all concerned about it, by all means go see a doctor, especially if this is a reoccuring event.  Otherwise, I've had periods that didn't do exactly what they always have done, (light, short, heavy, couple of days early or late, etc) and I am now 5 weeks pregnant, completely normal.  But I'm not like everyone else, so if you are worried about it, call your doctor and ask their advice.  HTH
Thanks to both of you. I think more than anything I needed a little reassurance!  I'll stop obsessing now and let life just happen!  I really appreciate your comments!
ateague...i have to disagree with you on the hpt picking up a pregnancy at 2wks late. i didn't get a positive until i was almost 2 MONTHS late. everyone's body is different.
cassidy2...it's possible that you don't have enough hcg in your body yet, or it could be that the test was accurate, or it could be something else. i had the exact same type of bleeding/spotting you described, and i took it as af...and my test was negative. but i was pg. i would wait a week and try again, and if you get the same result and still think something is off, call the doctor. a blood test is alot more accurate. good luck.
countrymama - like I said earlier, I'm not like every woman, so if she's still concerned, she should go see a doc.  

cassidy2 - Most doctor's will tell you that by now that you should see a result, but your body may be different.  Another thought, I've heard implantation bleeding should not be bright red blood, mostly brown and/or lt pink, but not red.  FYI, I had the same thing on my prior period: two days early, brown spotting for two days, heavy red flow for 1 day, then nothing.  I thought it was implantation too, but nope, it was a period.  I just don't want to get your hopes up and you not be preg.  I'd rather tell you that you're not and it turn out that you are, a much better surprise than giving you hope that you are and finding out you're not.  I've been there and it's not fun.
I think for now I'll assume it was my period.  The let down of realizing your not pregant when you think you are and want to be is pretty great.  If I miss this month's or start getting some pregancy symptoms I'll reevaluate.  Thanks everyone, you really helped me refocus and relax!