Maternal & Child Community
What do i do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What do i do?

i woke up to the sounds of dominic screaming and crying. i rushed into his room to find him on his belly screaming. he rolled over onto his stomach while he was sleeping or something...he rolled over last week, did it twice, and then hasnt done anything since....but he was on his stomach this time. im guessing he woke up face down and couldnt breath or something and thats why he was screaming. the sheet was soaking wet from where his mouth was! im like so scarred to put him back to sleep, for fear he will sufficate himself.

do i need like a positioner or something or do i let it happen? what do i do?
How old is he?
I used a sleep postioner on my son until he was about 9 months old, he was a side sleeper so this kept him from rolling onto his belly.
Unfortunately, since he's able to move around a crib position will cause more harm than good.  Jayden does this as well.  He turns on his belly and then cries hysterically.  If he's able to lift his head and roll on to his belly, he will not suffocate.  
hes almost 5 months and lately he does like roll on his side and then will roll back on his back.

he doesnt like to roll. hes done it 3 times that i kno of and that last time was in the crib. hes not like a pro yet so i dont think he would rool back on his back. ugh im so scarred
its really hard to keep them from doing it once they've learned how to do it.  the best thing is to make sure his crib is safe (no bumper, no blankets, ect...).  you could always try a positioner, but he may just wiggle out of it or just roll right over it!
Even if he doesn't roll he can still hold his head up and move it from side to side.  Plus, he cries when he gets into that position.  So he will cry and you will go to him and turn him back over.  It's not like you won't be around to hear him cry.  I know how scary it could be but I don't think you need to worry about him suffocating sweetie.
I agree w/ mami - if Domi can lift his head he wont suffocate from lying on his belly.   It is important to make sure there isnt anything in his crib though (like blankets) because that can cause an issue when he rolls. Im sure he will be rolling from belly to back soon to!
o im supposed to take out the bumper? i thought it said take it out once they learn how to stand up. the only thing he sleeps with is a very light receiving blanket.
It is now recommend that you dont put anything in a crib (including bumper) until baby is 1 year old.  
lol O i missed that memo! ill take it out
agree with all of the above, I know my girls did NOT like to be on their tummys for very long at a time when they first started doing it. He was probably just screaming about being uncomfortable rather than not being able to breath. Its annoying when all you can do is lift your head for a couple seconds and not be able to see things otherwise. :) aww the hardships of being a little person...lol
You can get breathable bumpers.  I took out Jayden's when I saw his face pressed up against it when he was 2 months old.  I freaked out and took them out right away.
kim- if you have a light recieving blanket on him, think about replacing it w/ a light wearable blanket like a sleep sack...  i love those things, lol!
Ever since jacob could roll over, he has been a tummy sleeper..  I used to roll him back over but as soon as I turn my back, he is back on his belly.. I finally gave up... He is creeping and scooting all over the crib now, so I'm really worried about it anymore.  

He also always moves way over to the side, right up against the bumper... I still try to move him back over to the middle of the crib, but 5-10 minutes later, he will be right back up against the side of the crib..  

I even moved the mirror to the end of the bed, so when he lifts his head he can see his reflection.  The turtle in the mirror.. :)  
He will probably get used to the belly sleeping and do that more often.  Eventually he will not freak out as much when it happens.  As someone else mentioned he will learn how to roll back soon.  I would look into the breathable bumpers because it wont be long before he can wiggle all around and the entire leg will be hanging out of the bars.  That makes for screaming 10 times a night!  You dont have to worry too much about him sleeping this way.  Usually doctors say once they can roll to their belly alone, they are fine to sleep that way.  For a while you may have to go in and roll him back over when he screams until he gets more used to it.  oh the joys of baby getting older!