What happens during the Strep B test?
I have the strep b test next Monday and was hoping someone could explain what happens.  My midwife said it was a vaginal test.  I will be 36 weeks.  Do you think she will go ahead and do a full exam to check on the position of the baby, etc?   Thanks!
All they did at my appointment is take a little swab of the vaginal area.
I didnt even feel it. They didnt check anything else. All doctors are different though.Good luck!!
Hi!  Nice to hear from you - still no baby yet for me.  My due date is 6/29, and I haven't had any contractions.  Last wk I was 1/2 cent. dilated and 75% effaced.  We'll see today at my appt....  Anyway, my experience was similar to the previous poster's.  They take a very quick swab with a q-tip of the vaginal/anal area, and that's it.  My OB also did an internal to see if there was any dilation, and for both I really didn't feel a thing.  Unfortunately, I tested positive for GBS (group B strep), but my OB said 30-40% of women test positive as a carrier for it, it is not sexually transmitted, and there's nothing you can do about it but deal with it proactively for delivery.  They give you IV penicillin antibiotics (if you're not allergic - if you're allergic, you'd get something else).  This will greatly reduce (by something like 99%) the chance of transmitting it to your baby during delivery.  If you do transmit it, there's a very high liklihood it's treatable without incident.  It sounds way scarier than it is.  I doubt you have it, but if you do, I wanted to share what I know.  My OB said that if there's any complication you're going to have during pg, this is the one you want, because it's virtually a non-issue.  Don't worry!
I just had it done yesterday, they swab your vagina and anus with a big q-tip.  
Completely painless.
i'm 33 weeks, 2 days, and my dr is going to do the test next thursday when i'm 34 wks 3 days. he said it's quick and simple. he also said he usually doesn't do internal exams until 37 weeks.
Okay.. when you all say the take a swab of the vaginal and anal region.. do they actually put the q-tip inside of you of do they lightly touch the outside? Crazy question.. i know:)
with both of my girls I tested positive for GBS, yes they do use a swab in the vaginal area for testing. If you test positive..... during your labor, the doctors will try to give you 2 doses of penicillin, 1 every  4 hours.  So, yes you would need to be in labor for at least 8 hours. I was not in labor long enough with either of my girls to even get the first full dose. The scary part is that if you're not given a full dose then your baby could die from the strep, the first 21 days of life for the infant are the most critical.  I was scared with both of mine but now they're 3 and 1, very healthy with no problems, I'm sure yours will be, too.
I just got back from Dr. and she did the strep B test. Dr. stuck the Q-tip in both vajayjay and anus. And, anxiousmom, you are lucky. My exam hurt so bad I cried.
I am 32 weeks pregnant with my first child and I was wondering do you just lie there or do you have to bend over or turn to the side so doc can do GBS test??? I am so anxious, i'm having the exam in 2 weeks..
I had mine done today, and it was like your initial exam (lay on your back, spread em', and insert swab into vagina) My ob didnt do the rectum. After the swab, he checked to see if the baby was head down, and if I was dialated at all. Gotta tell you...a lot less invasive than I thought it would be. :)  Good luck!