Maternal & Child Community
What happens if I go into labor before my scheduled c-section?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had my first daughter in an emergency c-section Sept. 10,2007. I am now due with baby #2 on August 18, 2009. My doctor is against VBAC (in my case) and so we've scheduled a c-section for August 11, 2009 (39 weeks). The emergency c-section was really scary (all the rushing around & worrying about the baby's irregular heart rate) so I was really excited that this one is scheduled & can happen at a slower pace. I'm just wondering - what happens if my water breaks, or I go into labor before my scheduled c-section date? Will it then turn into an emergency c-section again? Or would I have an unplanned VBAC? I already asked my doctor to move up my c-section to 38 weeks (I really, really don't feel like I'm going to make it to 39 weeks) but he said no way.
Oh I don't know what they do.  I think they give you an epidural and just perform the c-section.  I believe it would be considered an emergency c-section but it may not be rushing around and going nuts.  
I also think they just move up the c-section.
I was going to ask my OB tomorrow, since i was wondering the same thing. I'll let you know what he says. Mine is scheduled 9 days before my due date.
If your water breaks and you are not in active labor, they will proceed at a leisurely pace, usually within 2-6 hours, depending on certain factors.

If you are in active labor, they will hurry and start your IV, prep you for a section and all things will proceed quickly.

If you arrive nearly ready to deliver, they will usually let you go ahead and deliver--but I mean,  you have to be very close to delivery.
thanks ladies. guess i need to hope that nothing happens before august 11th! i really don't want another emergency c-section & i don't want a VBAC.
three years before my first child was born I had a fibroid removed from my uterius-  because the incision from that surgery was at the top of my uterus and cut through it, my doctor REALLY did not want me to go into labor and risk hard contractions-  my c-section was set for exactly 39 weeks-  my water broke at exactly 36 weeks!  I didn't know what had happened, exactly, so I showered, and took my time doing my hair before I drove myself to my doctors office so they could check to see if it was my water breaking-  by this point I was having some mild contractions,  but no one paniced (except for perhaps DH, but that was just because we were about to have our first child and he had to leave work to get to me!)...  anyway-  they did the standard prep, etc and my contractions did get a little stronger, but I was fine-  Like peek said with in 2-3 hours she was born-  I got to the doctors office at about 9:30ish 10 am---  and she was born at 12:07....  

good luck!
sorry for the spelling errors-  peek might read that!  yikes!
*waves Spelling Policewoman badge around wildly*

I'll just issue a warning this time.  Because you're in my clique.   *smiles*
thanks - that helped me a lot =)
I have been through this twice. If  you are at least 37 weeks, when your contactions start, they will just prep you and get you ready and do the c-section. Both times for me, right at 37 weeks, I started having contractions, when I realized they were not subsiding, I called the dr. they met me at the hospital and got me ready.  I never made it to the planned date.

Good luck.
Ah,  thanks Peek!  :)  it get annoying always copying my responses into word to spell check-  still haven't found that on here-  someone said there was one, but I don't want to look completely stupid!  I've already admitted to having a white trash pool in my back yard!  :)
This happened to me!  I went into hard labor just 5 hours before my scheduled time for c-section.  I arrived at the hospital 4 hours prior to my 7am appointment for the c-section.  Unfortunately, the anesthesiologist was not ready for me and I had to wait for him to finish with other patients while I went through 4 hours of terrible labor with NO MEDS.  My doc was busy too, and neglected to check to see how dialated I was, until after they finally gave me the spinal!  At that point I was already 8cm all on my own.  Looking back I would definitely have preferred to just push my baby out.  The pain during and after the c-section (after having endured labor with existing scar tissue, from first daughter), was far, far worse than my first c-section, which was an emergency.  Just make sure ahead of time that if you do go into labor there will be someone available to perform the c-section before you get too close to delivering vaginally or you may want to consider a VBAC if you are left alone in labor and dialate as much as I did.  Needless to say, I will never go back to the OBGYN practice with whom this occurred.  Good luck!  My advise is to communicate with your doctor soon and find out what they will do to accommodate you should you labor before your scheduled c-section!