Maternal & Child Community
What has been your EARLY ultrasound experience?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi. I am just curious about what some of your experiences have been with EARLY ultrsounds. I thought I was 6 weeks 3 days pregnant according to my LMP. I went for an u/s on Friday and my doc found a yolk sac which was 3mm, (she said it was a good sign that it was <5mm when no fetal pole is seen). She said the placenta looked good but that she could not see a fetal pole nor a heart beat. She said it looked like I was more like 5 weeks. I am going crazy now becasue of course I thnk I am going to miscarry. I have to wait another week and be rescanned. Anyone experience something like this and have a good outcome?

When did you have your first u/s? How far along were you? Were the u/s dates matching your dates? What did they find? (fetal pole, fetal heart beat, yolk sac?)
Please think good thoughts for me. I just don't think I could go through another miscarriage.
Thanks in advance for any information you can share.
Most women don't get u/s until farther along. Even at 6 weeks, there's not much to see. I had two so far and I am 13 weeks. One at 9 weeks and 4 days and the other was earlier, maybe 7 weeks and a couple of days. I'm not sure though. There wasn't much to see at the first one but there was a heartbeating, the second one the baby was moving and it was clearer. So, don't panic yet, it's very early and a couple of days makes a hudge difference. Things are just starting right now, next week I'll bet the little heart will be fluttering. Good luck.
I had some trouble with bleeding and discharge, so I have had 5 vaginal u/s's so far. The first one was done at about 4 weeks. The only thing that showed up was the thickening of the endometrium. The next one was done later that week (don't remember the exact dates), but the Dr. did see a yolk sac. The next one was done at 5 1/2 weeks and a yolk sac and fetal pole were found, but no heartbeat. The u/s at 6 weeks showed a heartbeat and this last one (7 weeks) also showed a heartbeat. Every situation is different, but I hope this helps. Try to have faith that everything will be ok. Blessings.
Thank you everyone. I am going to try to be optimistic.
It may be too soon yet...Yes a difference of a day makes a huge difference. My doctor said they usually like to schedule an ultra sound around 6 weeks 4 days because that's when they usually see a heart beat but she said a lot of times it's 7 weeks so hang in there. You will know a lot more at your second ultra sound.I think everything sounds good so far...where you able to see this much with your other miscarriages??? I saw my daughters heart beat at 6 1/2 weeks......
Using transvaginal ultrasound, how 'late' can it be before you get to see a good fetal heartbeat and still feel it's a viable pregnancy ? Is there anyone here who didnt see any heartbeat at 8 weeks, but did so later on (in 9th / 10th week) and did not have any issues with the pregnancy there on ?
A friend of mine was told at 7 weeks that her baby's heart was not beating.  Since she was bleeding, the doctor told her to go home and miscarry naturally.  Well, that baby is now 3 yrs. old.  Thank God my friend did not get a D&C who was demanding it at the time but her doctor wouldn't go for it.  The ultrasound finally showed 9-10 weeks a baby with a beating heart.  It is always best to wait things out naturally to make sure there is not a viable baby.  There are so many cases of misdiagnosis.  Also, there is risk with a D&C - 40% of scarring which causes infertility (ashermans.org).  I wish you all the best and I am so sorry for the torment you have to go through.  I have been there and wish I did not get a D&C and would have waited things out naturally. This sight is very helpful in reading cases of misdiagnosis.  God bless you all!  http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/1311584/thread/575970?message=9110704&_requestid=86922#9110704
I am totally new at this, but here it goes! I have had three miscarriages. The first was ectopic. I am now on my fourth pregnancy and thought I was six weeks. We went to the first ultrasound yesterday to find that there wasn't much to see and therefore, the Doctor said we were probably only about four weeks or so. The only thing visible on the screen was a "dot". The Doctor couldn't even make anything of it. So, she is checking my HCG levels, but in the mean time I am frantically concerned. My last pregnancies I had my ultrasounds at six and eight weeks and everything was completely formed and visible with heartbeat. This one really threw me for a loop. Has anyone ever had an early ultrasound with just a "dot"?
With your other three miscarriages at 6 and 8 weeks you saw a the sac, yolk and heart beat and still miscarried all three times?Is this the first time they have checked you HCG levels? I almost wonder if you don't produce enough progesterone since with your other miscarriages everything looked great at 6 weeks...has the doctor said anything about progesterone shots? Are you sure on your last menstrual cycle dates? I would think at 6 weeks you should see at least a sac or yolk???? But you never know just wait it out and see what your test results say for your HCG Levels. They are checking to see if they are where they should be for a viable pregnancy. I will keep my fingers crosse for you please let me know what happens....
Actually each pregnancy (other than the ectopic) I carried until at least ten weeks. I am on progesterone vaginal pill inserts, two pills, three times a day. So hopefully that will be the key. As for the last period, you see that gets a little crazy. I had my last miscarriage about 10 weeks ago. I had my first normal period about five weeks maybe after the miscarriage. Then two weeks after that, to the day, I have spotting for two-three days which I thought was either a new period or implantation. So when I told the doc that I had bled four weeks ago, she said that very well could have been a new period. My husband and I weren't trying to conceive, which is what really made this a shocker! We were going to wait a year, but maybe this is God's way of saying that His time is perfect. I don't know I just am hoping for the best! Thanks for your input!
I was sent for an u/s due to falling getting off a bike. It wasn't a major fall by any means, but as a precaution they sent me. Now, when I had the pregnancy verified at the doctor's, they aske the lmp and I told them. They didn't ask my cycle or if I knew when I ovulated. As a matter of fact, I was doing the ovulation tests and it said (for 6 days in a row) that I wasn't ovulating. I figured I wasn't going to that month and we had sex anyway. About 2 days apart. So, the nurse tells me that based on my lmp I was 4 weeks and 3 days. When they went to set up the appt. for the u/s, they figured I'd be 6 weeks and 2 days at the test. I go and all they see is the gestational sac and the yolk sac. The tech asks if I can be earlier than 6 weeks 2 days. I tell her very likely because I wasn't ovulating. She said I must've ovulated late and I agree. According to how far along the nurse said I was, I should've conceived the day before my husband and I were together, so I'm sure it's early, but it's still a scare to expect to see something and not to. I think it's awful how they generalize how far along you are based on your lmp when ovulation doesn't always occur on day 14. For me it was more like day 18. My question is, because I still have a little doubt that something could be wrong, my breasts are continuing to get sore, I still have the normal mild cramping and have had no bleeding. Would you still have the symptoms of pregnancy if it was lost? This is my first and I have no idea what to expect, what is normal and what isn't. Other than bleeding, I don't know what the bad signs are. Thanks to anyone who would care to share. Sorry for the book.
I totally agree I don't like how they ask your for the date of the start of your last period....I understand they need a general date to give an estimatation of how far along we are put I'm with you when they do the u/s there is always the possibility that someone ovulates later then the 13th day! I couldn't agree more they can use the date for a good estimate but they should not make mothers feel like something is wrong when the u/s is reading not as far along. This is my second pregnancy and with both I had a little lower back pain within the first 6 weeks. I will get a mild cramping here and there never last more then maybe 3 minutes they say it's our body adjusting...I will say though after having three miscarriages some of the cramping and or pains are similiar with a normal pregnancy and miscarriage...the only thing with me that I noticed differently is no bleeding...even though I have cramping here and there I never bleed with my normal pregnancy. I think pregnancy symptons are a good sign that the pregnancy is normal again with my miscarriages I never had symptons other then missing my period. You will get cramps from time to time do worry too much. If you start to bleed heavily then I would worry.You know after the sac and yolk usually you see the fetal pole and heart beat so that may show at your next u/s- you seem to be moving right along...
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Your comments have made me feel better. I'll update this site after my appointment on Wednesday morning. Wish me luck!
I just wanted to give an update. Had my second ultrasound this morning and we saw the heartbeat! I figured I was 7 weeks today, but she said I am 6 weeks and 3 days. Not sure how that is possible given I know our schedule and we didn't fool around on the dates she gave. But we did a couple of days before, so maybe there was a sole survivor sperm just waiting for that egg to drop. She said she could be off by a couple of days, but either way, I am so relieved and so is my dh. Wish us luck. And thanks for listening.
Hi just hoping for some reassuring advice! I am 24 and have a 4 yr old son. I have had 2 misscariages in 6 months and am pregnant again and had my last ultrasound at 9 weeks with good heartbeat and baby moving what are odds that I could still miscarry? I am frantically worried everyday!
Try to relax and not worry too much! If the baby is active and strong heartbeat, that is a great sign! Worry and stress cause hardship on you which is not good for baby! After the heartbeat is seen, there is only a 5% chance of miscarriage! Rest, relax and enjoy!
Hello! I wanted to know if anyone had adive for me. My LMP started on 7/5/2007 and I went to the dr. on 8/6/2007 and they said my count of Hcg is 106. They did a transvaginal and didnt see anything...I miscarried last year and im so scared!!!!! Does this mean im going to miscarry?????
i went to the doctor today with stomach cramps pretty bad but no bleeding, although I have had dark discharge for about two or three days. when going to the doctor today I thought I was about 7 weeks, I could be only maybe 5 weeks well when having an ultrasound today they only see a sac and no fetal pole I go next week for a following ultrasound and for them to check my hcg level does any think this is normal