Maternal & Child Community
What is a Blighted Ovum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What is a Blighted Ovum

I am approximately 7 wks along and haven't had my initial appt. yet - scheduled for 10/23.  Anyway - I'm starting to feel paranoid - thinking I don't have enough symptoms - like my boobs aren't sore and last time I was pregnant they KILLED, and I'm not really sick - just tired and HUNGRY!  Anyway, I keep reading about blighted ovum - can anyone tell me what that is? I am so worried this time and don't know why - I think I've been reading too much.
It's very early death of the fetus, often when it is just a few cells.  Usually results in a heavier than normal period.  Sometimes the placenta and sac continue to grow, but there is no fetus inside. Many woman have no pregnancy symptoms, so don't worry.  With my first child the only symptom was no period.
so at 7 wks - would you know if you had a blighted ovum? would you have a period? or would you just be going on thinking you are pregnant?  And thanks for the reassurance about little to no symptoms.  the non-sore breasts thing is what I keep thinking about because last time I could hardly stand it they hurt so bad. But I'm quit nursing just about 5 months ago - so maybe they've just been through the ringer enough that nothing is going to phase them.  ha.
Some women carry a blighted ovuum until about 10 weeks.  I think that is highly unusual.  I wouldn't be concerned unless you start spotting.  Specifically if it very heavy or you have localized abdominal pain.  Then you should head to the emerg.
Hi last september I had a blighted ovum and I got to 11 weeks before I started to bleed lightly. I had no idea. but to put your mind at rest I had no prego symptoms with my first 2 girls and with the blighted ovum I was very nauseous and sensitive to smell and tastes. SO it goes to show you that every pregnancy is different. Hope that helps.
My blighted ovum was discovered at 12 weeks, with no bleeding at all. BUT, quit worrying yourself. Don't read too much on the internet, or you'll make yourself crazy. Just because you don't have many symptoms, does not mean it's an abnormal pregnancy.
My pregnancy turned out to be a blighted ovum. I had all the symptoms but when I went for my first ultrasound at 7 weeks all the dr. could see was a sac, no fetal pole/heartbeat. Sometimes this is normal at 7 wks. since it's still very early; sometimes they advise not to do ultrasounds before 10 wks. However, in my case the fetus never developed but the sac kept growing. I ended up miscarrying at 10 weeks, but many women choose to have a D&C.
A blighted ovum is a very common occurrence, many women that post on this fourm have had one.
I don't think they are rare at all.  Blighted ovums are early pregnancy loss--when the egg doesn't develop correctly after a certain point often due to improper cell division. Some call them anembryonic (no embryo) pregnancies because you don't get the sacs and poles like it other pregnancies. Women have positive hcg, sometimes doubling, often not but going up, all symptoms, perhaps fading toward the end. Often called a missed m/c because the body stays "pregnant" for weeks and weeks even though there's not a still-developing fetus inside.

The pregnancy you lose within a few days of a positive test (seems like aperiod) is  called rather a "chemical" pregnancy.  The blighted ovum results in heavy painful cramps and bleeding at some point down the road, nothing you would ever mistake for a period. Some people have a d&c when they find out; some wait to let it pass naturally.
You really can't know you have this without medical tests.  With my first one, I had sore breasts but little nausea, second one had bad nausea little soreness. Both miscarried around 6 weeks. With my current pregnancy, I have some of each, nothing horrendous but I don't feel "ill" like I did with those. I'm sure every case is different. (My DD and DS were really different too). BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!
There really are so many things that we worry about while pregnant. Try not to think too much about it. I had a blighted ovum and found out at 12 weeks, had the D&C at 13 weeks and never had any bleeding/cramping. I also had major breast soreness with the blight ovum. I am now 39 weeks with my current pregnancy and everything is looking good, but I had very little breast soreness this time, which made me very nervous too. Just remember that every pregnancy truly is different. Many of us on here have had many symptoms and had m/c, then go on to have a completley healthy pregnancy with very little symptoms. If your extremely worried, you may try to ask your doctor to do an u/s (but probably not before 8 weeks or so, if its too early and you don't see anything, you'll worry even more). It sounds like you are fine though.
I know how you feel. I have 2 DS and I found out yesterday we are pregnant again. I have been so scared, I think that I never knew before all of the things that can go wrong in a pregnancy until now from this forum. It has been such a pleasure to meet so many different women from different corners of the world that share the same thoughts and dreams as I do, but it has made me very aware of all the things that can go wrong and that are totally out of our control. Also it has made me really realize how blessed we are to have 2 health DS. We have to realize that the power of life is not in our hands, it is in God's hands and he has a plan. The only thing we can do is eat right, rest and pray, it's called faith. What is to be,will be!
Hi -

I had three blighted ova in a row.  A blighted ovum is when the baby never develops and is usually caused by genetic problems.  My first was discovered at 10 weeks when we couldn't hear a heartbeat.  I had all the symptoms during that one.

The next preg, I did not have symptoms and was suspicious.  No bleeding though.  I found out during a 7 week ultrasound.

The following preg, I started bleeding around 6 weeks, and saw yet another empty sac.  This one was weird in that my HCG was doubling.

I had D&Cs for all three.

I beleive despite all my issues, blighted ova are pretty rare - usually one time occurrences.

Best of luck to you.
thank you all for your wisdom!  I will TRY not to worry about the millions of what-ifs. And can't WAIT until the 23rd roles around for hopefully some peace of mind. Good luck to all of you on here!!
Hi, I had a blighted ovum last pregnancy (5 miscarriages in teh last 2 years).  The scan will show a foetal sac but no foetal pole and no heartbeat.  The egg will have fertilized and implanted but never developed.  This is the most common type of miscarriage.  Often you will feel very pregnant as your body will think that you are. Most people will usually miscarry by their third month but with scans showing what now happens women are often offered a ERPC.   Don't panic about anything too soon though you may be just fine.  Every pregnancy is very different.  Hope all goes well for you.
any 40 year olds with this continuing problem. around 2 years ago i gave birth to a still born baby girl, she had reached 7 months, i am 40 years old with 4 other kids, now i am about 5 weeks pregnant and they are saying that i might too have a blighted ovum. is this a sign that i should stop trying to get pregnant anymore, since maybe i have ran out of normal eggs to develop with age. i have a new husband and trying to have a new life with him and desperatly want  a baby...i ask god everyday to please help me. i read about egg donors, but isnt that like having someone else baby inside you ? since your egg is part of your own dna. please help.     donna