Maternal & Child Community
What is everyone's birthing plan???/Saturday open forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was wondering what everyones plan's for the birth of their baby was..Anyone having a sheduled C-section?   Anyone planning on giving birth at home? Anyone having midwives? Any one going natural, pain med free? Not a pressing issue, just wondering...:)

I plan to just do what is best for my baby again, I hope I get there in time to get pain relieve If I want it this time!....I know Saturdays are kinda slow, so use as an open forum if you want..Take care ladies~bops
Hello Bops!!   Another day stuck at work but another day closer to Aydens debut!!!!!!   I have no idea what I'm going to do for a birth plan.  I never even took birthing classes.  Somthing tells me I'm in for a rude awakening.  I'm actually getting really scared.  I was going to ask about laboring in water?  
Au natural (:

I don't even want to be induced. But I also don't want to be overdue, so I might let that one slide. But once in labor, lots of focusing, breathing, relaxation music and aromatherapy. My oldest two daughters will be there along with Ben and they will braid/play with my hair (something I find very soothing) and Ben plans on massaging my back or wherever I feel it will help. I want to use the birthing ball, too. That thing is comfortable!
Have you ever heard of an ankle massage putting you in labor??   The guy across the street from my mil is a massage therepist and he told me when I've had enough to come see him and he can put me in labor.  I think I'm going to give it a shot the week of my induction so maybe I can avoid being induced.  
I have heard of that. And the webbed part of your hand between your thumb and pointer finger. I've heard it works so well they tell you NOT to do it until you know you can safely give birth and the baby will be okay. DEFINITELY something I plan to try!
JeNshim-that is exactly the route I took w/ dd, an I plan to w/ this one too! I used a birthing ball (although, I was in a lot of pain, so it hurt too much to sit on anything, I rode backwards on my knees the whole 30 min. to the hospital!) and a doula and I used oils/soothing music as well. I labored for an hour in my own tub and The hospital had one all set up for when I got there, although I was too far along in labor to actually use it. I went w/o meds. and i never thought I would have such a natural birth, but it worked well for me!

Lynne-laboring in my tub was the best thing for me. I have to take a bath everynight anyways, and I found the water very relaxing. I have heard it is a good way to sucessfully deal w/ the pain...I did until I got to the point where it hurt so bad, I had to go to the hopital...they had one all set up for me to use when I got there, but as I said above, it was too late for me to use it.(My hospital has a policy that you can only labor in the tub, when you are ready to push, you must come out..I am waiting for the day when they change this policy..I think I would like to have a water birth)  

You gals are so close now, I wish I was you!! Good luck!
You'll be there before you know it.  It went by fast for me.  It seems like yesterday you were posting your bfp.  
I know it is flying by, I am almost half way, but seems like it will be a long summer and fall! I can wait to find out whats in here, I will be having a 4d u/s like dd, and it was one of the best things of my last pregnancy...Were you planning on laboring in the tub?? I would definately recommend it...It helped keep me cool too, since dd was born in July, it was soo hot that night!
Sorry, type-o: CAN't Wait...I have waited long enough :)
I would like to.  I know they have them at the hospital.  I'm going to ask my doctor at me next apt.  My mom doesn't want me to do a water birth.  She's been a RN in the nicu for 30 years and she has opinions about stuff like that.  Although she can't give me a good reason she just said she doesn't like it.  She is coming down for the birth.  I'm scared to death.
So close yet so far away. You'll be there before you know it. Time flew for me until I hit 30 weeks. Now at 34 weeks the days are d r a g g i n g... I feel like a huge big baby and am very weepy!! I'm so uncomfortable :| ANYwho...I did natural twice and epidural twice. I had a more positive experience with my natural births, but I tend to go quick, which no amount of planning can prepare you for. I take a bath every night too, but getting in and especially out is becoming quite the task and seems dangerous now! The place (Mayo Clinic-believe it or not!) I will deliver at doesn't have tubs for baths and I wish they did. In reality, if I'm not induced it will be a quick one and I probably won't do much of anything but suffer through the final stages of labor and push (: One can hope though.
I'm afraid I'm going to be of the psycho girls that can't handle pain in the delivery room.  My husband is the really laid back kind and I can picture him sitting there watching tv and being really relaxed.  My mil says she's going to tape my mouth shut during labor so I don't try to divorce him...lol....
I typed up a birthing plan the ohter day and mailed it in with my pre-registration and birth certificate papers. (Since Dr. Wonderful never had a consultation with me...figured I better sneak it into my file somehow!)  

I took a birthing class and we left half way through. I didn't find it very helpful. The instructor did have us lay on the floor and listen to a cd that helped with relaxation techniques. That was the only thing I found helpful at all! The breathing sucked....I can't breathe in and out on command! lol  I would like to find that CD though! They make one for kids to use while napping called "The Floppy Sleep Dance" so I may just buy that.

My main things in my birth plan were just that I wanted constant monitoring (for my cord paranoia), a C-Section at the first sign of struggle to the baby, I want pain meds available but not pushed and I want to be told when it's getting to late for the meds so I can make my own decision. I also listed my allergies on there (I am allergic to the steri strips they use after surgeries to help incisions heal...figured I better make it abundantly clear not to touch me with them!). The rest of the plan was mostly about what I wanted after the birth (no guests for an hour so dh and I can bond and I can nurse) and that I need to be consulted before any immunizations are given since he's not getting all of them.

I just wrote a book! lol Sorry!
Lynne-I was one of those psycho girls! I screamed my head off the whole time! Although, I never said anything bad to dh, I did whine and cry a LOT! What else could I do to relieve the pain?, I was refused pain relief...so if I was going to do it w/o pain relief, they were gonna hear about it! It was funny, I could hear another lady in the hospital room next to me doing the same thing-we were like dualing opera singers(more like screamers, but you know..)...However, I got done before her, so while I was done and holding my beautiful little girl, I had to continue to hear her scream for mercy! It was ok, But my voice was very hoarse for several days! I don't think I could have my mother there though, I am still a private person even w/ labor and all I could think of was: "I definately don't want anyone else seeing my va-jay jay, especially not my mom!" :)

Ruby-Your plan sounds great...I had a lot of the same things as you...I wanted to time after the birth for just my hubby and me to enjoy our daughter, and I had a chance to nurse her as well. Everyone waited patiently outside, I'm glad tney respected my wishes. I also refused to give my daughter the hep. vaccine at that time...I thought 1 day old was WAY too young to be giving her a shot already..
Hep is what I am refusing too.......there's alot of risk with it in newborns. He can get it a little later! :)
You are all very brave ladies.  I have a very low tolerance for pain and know that I will be getting an epidural.  Like Ruby, my doc hasnt discussed anything with me yet.  I plan to ask him when he plans to do so at my next visit ont he 17th.  I'm so frustrated that I'm not going every 2 weeks right now!  I know I will not use him for my next birth.  I want to find a midwife.  My last pregnancy, which ended in a missed miscarriage I had hired a midwife not really knowing what they were.  She was so gentle and understanding and I loved her.  I live across the state from her now so I need to find a new one!  

Still, I do want those pain meds.  I know the risks and I'm willing to take them.  I only want the epidural that numbs you from waist down so that I can enjoy her after she's born.  

Other than that, what do I need to know for my birthing plan?  I figured I'd kind of play it by ear as plans never seem to work for me in any aspect of life!
For my birthing plan, I searched for a template online and then got some of the main ideas from that. It prompted me to think about some things that I hadn't thought about before. I highlighted the things that were most important to me in hopes that those will be followed as closely as possible. Like you...nothing I do ever goes according to plan so I am not holding my breath that they'll follow it to a "t" but if my main wishes can at least be acknowledged I'll be happy! :)
This has nothing to do with a birthing plan..just taking advantage of the open foum so I don't steal a post!

Are any of you August/late July moms getting REALLY irritated again? I know it seemed like everyone had a little issue with being short fused awhile back and for me it pretty much went away and all was well. But now it's back. In full force! My dh drives me nuts. Yesterday I bit his head off for trying to do the dishes. I told him he makes me feel worthless when he cleans for me. lol I know how stupid it sounded but I was serious! And then he was snoring last night (as he is right now on the couch beside me) and I kept kicking him as hard as I could. I just wanted to punch him in his face! lol I ended up just puttting my earphones in and listening to my MP3 player to drown him out! GRRRRR! I just feel so p*ssed at him all the time lately! Anyone else going through this or should I enroll in anger management?
Lol.....I still think I feel too bad about really hurting my dh's feelings when I was a complete b@tch back in April to yell at him ever again.  I am irritated with everything though.  Here at work I work a radio channel and I have all the engines and rescues in my ear all day long.  When I get home I'm so sick of people yapping in my ear I dont even answer my phone.  As for dh he can't seem to figure out that I don't want to have sex.  Poor guy doesnt give up.  He tries to cuddle with me and it bugs me.  I don't want to be touched right now.  I just don't have the heart to tell him  :(
Ruby-I am not due for another 4 1/2 months, but I feel similar! DH is always doing the laundry and He makes me feel like I don't do cr@p around the house...I am so busy picking up after my 2 year old all day, I barely have time (or energy) to do other chores..I enjoy the help, I guess, But it makes me feel like a lazy slob. I still have not been cooking much either...I get take out so much now, that when we are in the car, dd points to all the resturants we get take out fom and says: ''food!" or "cake!"..MIL (who is a total earthy health food nut-no refined sugar,etc) was in the car last week when we went by one, and was like what?? You give a 2 year old cake!??! I replied, yeah it is the only thing we CAN get her to eat, LOL! ARRHH, good thing MIL lives 5 hours away and was just here on a brief visit. That is about all I can take of her...(You know, the kind of mil that makes you feel like you are a horrible wife and mom, like you don't take good enough care of HER child, what makes you think you are suitable for motherhood?? Yeah, In-laws are the BEST part of our marriage, not!) :/  Lynne-I havn't gotten that far yet, but I know that is coming. I am finding that my growing belly is getting in the way anyways!! :)
YES-I'm getting irritable and weepy. :\
Girl, I just wrote about the snoring issue in our other forum.  My dh does snore and I just want to scream!  I know he feels bad for keeping me up but not bad enough to stop smoking and make it better!  LOL.  I also made a hostile comment about skinny girls in their summer outfits and how I want to scream at them.  So yes, I would say I've been moody too.  ALSO, I've been suspcious aboutmy husband for NO good reason except that I'm so self conscious right now.  He's an ironworker and I figure it's safe to assume he works with all men.  Turns out, he works with this young girl (my age) as well... and I dont know what she looks like but seems like they have become friends.  So what?  I was friends with my male co worker and he was even a handsome man.  But I just feel so gross and I know he sees her all day and her not pregnant self lol.  But as dirty as he comes home she must not look all THAT great at work.  Oh I'm going nuts.  He's sucha  great husband and does so much work around our house both for remodeling and the dishes!  I just lovehim and hope he finds me attractive again soon!  

Yes, I'm very hormonal!
lol I feel so much better knowing I'm not alone! Poor guy....he probably feels like he made a bad move getting married! As for the snoring....at least your dh feels bad....mine refuses to believe that he does it!!!!!!!!
i dont really get a  plan this time.  scheduled c section.  whatever lol.  i still for some reason think id still like to do a vbac, but my dr wont.  i dont feel like finding another and finding out if the hosp. does them.  i have to say my dh is very lucky to not be here rightnow.  he has only dealt with one evil email and i apologized hours later lol.  my sis and mom have had to deal with it though.  
i didnt read through all of the posts because i dont have a ton of time so i dont know if someone else mentioned it.  when i went for my tour of the hospital, they said that my birth plan had to come from my doctor.  they said everything down to being able to shower before i get pain meds had to be in writing from the doctor if i planned to do it otherwise it was only standard stuff like walking halls, laying in bed, and ice chips.  i know that sucks for you but you may want to check with your hospital if you have "extras" in your plan.  
If my doctor spent more than 12 seconds with me at my appts then I may know for sure how things work! lol No...I've had several friends deliver at the hospital and submitted their plans that way so it should work. I'm planning on shoving it in the doc's face at my next appt anyhow......whether he wants it or not!