Maternal & Child Community
What is percent chance to have a Albino child? Just wander!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

-4 Comments Post a Comment
Yikes, I would think very slim. I have no idea if it is heriditary (sp). Do you have a history of it in your family? Maybe you could try to google it and see.
Yes, Albinism is heriditery, which means it is passed on tro your genes. Would be a good Idea check if any one in both of your family  was/is Albino. But it is not necessory to have some blood relative to have an Albino child--Of cource not scaring you-- It is how the genes plays!!!!
Thanks thats interesting to know I wondered if the vision had something to do with being albino. I live in a small town with population of about 14,000 and apart from my friends baby have only ever saw 1 other boy with it my friend has a little girl and has had her problems from being premature by 2 months and taking a long time to sleep in the night but she said her precious daughter was worth it.
ange800 - Yes, albinos often have very poor vision, and some are close to blind. It is due to the lack of pigment in their eyes.

tinh - Albinism is hereditary, and is most common in people of African descent. I have also seen several Caucasion albinos, and one Asian. I live in a community that is more than 50% black, with a somewhat restricted population, and there are quite a few here.
One of my good friends has an albino baby it was a bit of a shock for her as she knew her husband carried the gene and found out after she had the baby she carried the gene also. It is very rare but they have been told they have a 1 in 4 change of having another albino baby her baby seems happy and healthy but doesnt have the best of vision which I am unsure happens because she is albino I dont like to mention to my friend and dont ask her questions about her baby being albino.