Maternal & Child Community
What is the average age for a baby to begin to crawl?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My girl has just turned 7 months old and I don't think she is anywhere close to crawling. She can sit up fine by herself for ages, she leans forward, chews on her toes and then sits back up straight with no trouble at all. I put her on her belly and she holds herself up wih her arms extended for about 20 seconds but then slumps back down. I push her knees up in the crawling position with her arms up and she'll be up like that for about 8 seconds.
What can I do to encourage her to crawl? or is it still to early?
My baby didn't crawl until 8 months. Now he is cruising all over and in to everything!! Trust me, ENJOY it while she can't move!! LOL It's so much harder when they can crawl. She is within normal limits to not be crawling yet. Perfectly normal.
When she starts to rock back and forth on all fours, you will know she will most likely be crawling within a couple weeks of that.
My son is 7 1/2 months old and still not crawling yet.  He gets on all fours but then falls to his belly.  He's going to get it soon though.  I like him not crawling...it's so much work once they start moving.  I'm just going to enjoy him this way while I can.
dd did what you describe from 7 months to 9 months. i figured she just wouldn't crawl. at 9 months she started crawling and overnight was going fast. i actually preferred when she was mobile. i know most people say enjoy it while they can't move, but i babyproofed pretty well, and found it easier to entertain her when she could easily get to whatever it is she wanted.
I am meeting a ton of people who are telling me their baby just started crawling at 9 mo.
My DS didn't start army crawling until 8 months and not crawling on hands and knees until almost 9 months.  What encouraged him was always seeing my cats walk by him and not being able to get them - boy do they run now!  :)  I think your child is doing just fine and will crawl in their own time!
MY SON IS 8 MONTHS AND LATELY WHEN HES ONHIS TUMMY HE LAUGHS AND TRYS TO MOVE I HOPE HE CRAWLS ALREADY MAYBE NEXT MONTH HE WILL JSUT GIVE UR DAUGHTER TIME SHE WILL DO IT EVENTUALLY
thank you everyone for your comments. I was geting a little worried because my mother in law keeps ringing up and asking if shes crawling yet or even if shes doing the rocking thing. I was starting to think that mabe she should be crawling by now, or maybe theres something wrong.
But yeah, my fiance and I have actually got a bet going for when she does start crawling, I bet ages ago that it would be when shes 9 months and he said at the end of 7 months. :)
my nephew didn't start crawling till he was 8 almost 9 months old. he's 14 months old now and just started wobbling around and walking. it's just different with every baby. if you're really worried call her pediatrician and see what s/he has to say.
My first baby was a pro at crawling by 6 months, walking by 9 months.  He was talking several words by 1 and using sentences at 15 months.  Second baby is way more laid back.  Cam crawled closer to 9 months and cruised well around 11 months, didn't feel the need to walk on his own till 14 months.  No sentences in his talking, he can say a few words and really talks to you, you just have no idea what he's saying yet.  He is totally normal, as was Carson for his age.  Babies go at their own rate, and some don't even crawl till almost 1.  She sounds like she is doing fine.