Maternal & Child Community
What is worng with my pregnancy dates

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What is worng with my pregnancy dates

I am 9 and a half weeks into my first pregnancy. Last week I had my first ultrasound and the doctor measured the baby at 6mm. They are now telling me I am 6 weeks pregnant which is impossible. My day of conception was the 9 and a half weeks ago and I haven't had intercourse since then. Can someone please shed some light on the situation.

Madison,  there is a problem here.  If you had intercourse 9 1/2 weeks ago,  and your doc says you're six weeks pregnant that means they think you had intercourse 4 weeks ago that produced this pregnancy.

Did you tell them clearly that you only had sex 9 1/2 weeks ago,  and you didn't have sex since then?  Doctors are fairly used to women who don't keep track of their cycles or who get dates wrong,  but if you're sure about this,  you need to be clear to your doc.  
Based on the babies measurements of 6mm, you should be 6weeks. if you were 9 weeks & 1/2 weeks your baby should be measuring a little over an inch, which would be around 3cm. Dr's go based on the info they get from the u/s, which in turn tells you how far along you are. could it be that your dates are somewhat off? did they detect a heartbeat? if you completely sure about how far you should be, i would bring this to the dr's attention.
Avatar n tn

Yeah there is no question about the dates as he went overseas after that for work and I went overseas and stayed with my parents there is no confusion. That is really concerning about the size.
Did they detect a heart beat?
Avatar n tn
Yes there is a healthy normal heartbeat.