Maternal & Child Community
What to expect at 36 week appt and there after/Open Forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi Ladies,
Next Tuesday I go for my 36 week appt (I will be 35w6d) and I was wondering what to expect.  I know every Dr is different but I was wondering what you ladies have experienced.  At my friends 35week appt they stripped her cervix.  After Tuesday I will be going every week until I have Nolan.  So Im kind of expecting to have a vaginal but not sure if my OB is going to wait till the next week.  
Anything I should expect besides a vaginal, and the normal pee in a cup, BP and weight check?  Ive heard vaginals hurt late in pregnancy and I was wondering how true that is since Ive only heard it from one person. Anything I should expect at my weekly visits after Tuesday?
Any input is great and also feel free to use this as an open forum!
I jsut went for my 36 week appointment last Friday and I'll go every Friday will I have the baby, hopefully sooner rather than later. My dr always checks the heartbeat with the doppler and measures my belly, then does an internal to see how much I'm dilated and effaced. I wouldn't say it hurt for me but it was a little uncomfortable. He should be able to tell if the baby is head down so an u/s or other tests aren't needed at this point isn't really needed unless there is a special circumstance.
if I remember right my dr. actually did a pelvic exam at that time to see if I was dilated, etc. As usual for me - cervix was hard as a rock and absolutely NOT dilated. sigh.  It is NOT a comfortable experience - but not horribly painful either. Some docs don't do that until later on - like closer to 38 or so I think. This is the LONGEST time of the whole pregnancy - feels like the next 4-6 wks take FOR-EVER!  But it is worth it - hang in there and can't wait to hear how it goes!  Keep us all posted, ok?
Thanks so much for writing back...Im just so nervous about going since I really dont know what to expect from now on.  Hopefully Ill be dialated..lol..but my luck Ill be 2 weeks late just because I want to be early.  At times now I feel like hes dropped real low because its so uncomfy and so much pressure. But then next thing I know hes up in my ribs.
They probably will do an exam.  My does now every week.  It isn't too bad, more uncomfortable than painful and its over pretty quickly.  I think the worst part is lying on your back.  I always get light headed.  I go tomorrow for my appt.
im 33 weeks this weekend..
I went into preterm labor and the baby is head down! (they did an ultrasound) and put me on medication.
so on my check up, on the 8 what should I expect?
I just ask them not to check me until around 38 weeks. It really doesn't tell you anything anyway. A couple babies ago I was dilated to 4 and 80% effaced at 36 weeks and then I had to be induced after my due date. For me, it gets my hopes up for nothing. This last baby I just told her I didn't want to be checked.
I just wanted to offer hope on your vag. not hurting at your app. LOL  when I 36& a few dys, I happened to be 80%thin & 5cm, but I didn't hurt a bit (had no ideal I was in labor :) her checking didn't hurt either. Hope things go good for you!!!
No body did an internal exam or checked my cervix for dialation with any of my 3 babies! That is not a common thing here in Australia I don't think. I don't know - maybe it is in the States or whatever. Anyhow, at 36 weeks here they do the usual measurements, heartbeat, blood pressure checks and I think they give you an Anti-D shot if you have had a previous pregnancy where the baby had different blood type to the mother. Um...yeah that's about it...as long as everything is going ok. Then you're on weekly visits (well down here you are) until the birth. Good luck!