Maternal & Child Community
What to get a 3 year old girl...for a present?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So my friend found out she was pregnant with baby number 2 a couple months ago.  I have started to collect little gifts for her, but I also wanted to get something for the soon to be Big Sister.  Do you have any ideas what little girls would like that would represent a new baby sibling?  I was thinking obviously a little doll, but then I was thinking maybe something that would make her feel good about herself and that she is also very special too...LOL not just the new little baby.  So maybe it would be two gifts...a Big sis gift and a just because gift.
id think a book about how important it is to be the big sister.  some of the toys i can think of might be for over 3yr olds but the polly pockets (pretty sure they have small pieces though little pets or something like that, stuff for playing house like the plastic food.  im trying to remember my niece she was about 3 when her brother was born.  what a great thing to do, im sure it has to be hard for them to suddenly have this other person around.  i told my mom to take my sis back lol.  
When I take a New Baby a gift, I always take a "Big Sister" or "Big Brother" gift to the siblings of the new baby. I think it helps them adjust. It can be as simple as a new coloring book and crayons, but at least they don't feel left out when the new baby is getting all these gifts.

There are bibs that say "I Love My Big Sister!" That would be nice. Although it would actually be to the baby, it still would make the 3 year old feel good inside.

Maybe a shirt that says "I'm the big sister!" Not sure where you can buy this, but I know I have seen it. Maybe online. When my girls were 3-ish, they liked play makeup, dress-up clothes and shoes. And like Perty said, I am sure you could find books on being a big sister.Thats a great idea.
You are very nice to think of the big sister too!!
Those are very good ideas!  Well I have to think about the big sister because she is my best friends (since the age of 2) little girl...she is so aborable and sweet...I just want her to feel so special about being a big sis.  I know she is really excited and I know my friend probably wont have much time for her when the baby comes, so I think I just might be spoiling her over the next year or so!  Hehe!
babyscience,  that's how I think too.  When a new baby comes into a family with older siblings,  I do stuff for the older siblings.  The baby will not notice your gift,  but the older siblings will appreciate an ice cream trip to McDonalds.  

On a similar note,  my favorite Aunt always sent token cheap little gifts for the siblings of the birthday child - how cool is that?  If your sibling had a birthday,  she sent a gift to the birthday child and also included gifts for the siblings.  Little tiny things,  but it made a HUGE impact.  I remember my childhood waiting for the Aunt Sally gift to be opened,  and even a generation later she's done it with my kids.  What a great tradition of caring.  

Awhhh, how cute is that.  I have never heard of that, but it is such a great idea because all the kids get excited about the gift being opened rather than jealous.