Maternal & Child Community
What to put on a baby shower list?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What to put on a baby shower list?

I know im getting ahead of myself here, but im the type of person that likes to be perpare at all times. You know, like having back up plans and all. Now im 13w and i've already started my list (lol i know right!?) But whats on my like is very costly. but i do know is that crib, walker, carseat, etc. is lift up to me (and my mother said she'll help) but as of gift wise what do i put on my list for my guest?
you could have asked this question on your other post but don't forget the little stuff that adds up. Diapers, wipes, bottles thermometers, nail clippers, washes, onesies, socks, rash meds, lotions, hats, blankets...ect...
i know but i cant deleted it.
I don't think you can delete post. But it is ok, i just wanted to let you know for next time. no worries. :) this is a time for happiness!!
you will need a Boppy pillow, Baby Bath tub, Diaper Genie, diaper bag, onesie's, baby blankets, wipes warmer is nice it will keep it warm for teh baby, diapers lots of them also the wipes, Pj's if I remember anymore let you know Congratulations.  Please let us know what are you having.
i posted this on your other thread, but try going to a store such as target and get a copy of their registry form.  that should help give you a good starting point.
Try not to register for clothes, onsies, because you will get so many.  I had my shower the end of Sept and I took back so much clothing it was ridiculous and I still have tons left.
But I am going to post my link for my registery at Target so you can get an idea.
And if you have a boy I would suggest getting the baby pads that are thick and kind of plastic on one side...they soak up so much and its easy to lay underneth them in a cradle or crib.  Then that way your not changing sheets in the middle of the night because boys pee everywhere.  Also for a boy I would suggest trying to find some vasaline in a squeese tube if you plan on having a circumsion done.  Its easier than trying to dab the stuff out a jar on it.  You can just squeese and go.
The only thing I actually registered for and didnt like was the changing pad and I took it back and ordered one off line.  
Heres the link:
http://www.target.com/gp/registry/registry.html/ref=cm_lc_sr_1/601-3320018-1752913?ie=UTF8&type=babyreg&id=FZMW6XHH22U2&jsebd=1

Hope this helps some!! Oh and CONGRATS!!!
Mind you, I'm from Belgium, so we do things different, but if you like expensive things... at my friends babyshower, we would just make a pot of the money and only buy the big things, maybe you could give your friends hints???
If you use a pad on the crib to soak up pee, be sure it is not fluffy and is UNDER the sheet.  Choking hazard and smothering hazard otherwise.

Babies R Us also has a very good basic list.
Make sure and put tons and tons of gowns with the lil hand coverings! I only got ones that were too big for my daughter and only had two that fit her it was terrible!  I tried those little hand mittens but the elastic on those gets stretched out and they never return.  Be sure and get plenty of those gowns they are an absolute neccesity!!!
I started my list early too and just added to it.  Babies R Us has a starter kit and you'll remember things you needed even after the shower but that's what gift cards are for.
I know you said that crib, car seat, etc are up to you but I registered for everything.  My mother got me the crib and changing table but I registered for everything else.
I invitied like 80 people so a lot of people went in on gifts together.  I got the car seat, the travel system by graco, another 2 strollers and more stuff than I can count.
I got somany clothes I don't even know what to do with them.  I'm sure she'll never wear half of them so don't bother registering for those.
Have a wishing well and ask that people bring diapers and put those in there.  Also register for some fun stuff.  Stuff you don't necessarily need but stuff you'd like, like pictures or bedding or cute things like that.
Good luck and have a great time.
Oh and talking to mom's about what they got is good too.  I had a girl.  Here is my link for my registry if you want to take a look:
http://www.toysrus.com/ControllerServlet?target=viewDetails&operation=authenticate_user&registryNumber=92366056&from=registrySearch
I got everything on the list, even the stuff they didn't bother to take off.
Again, good luck!!
You should register for items that have a variety of price range so people can decide what they can afford.  

Cugirl, how did your appt go?
One of the best shower gifts I received was something I did not register for. My best friend and resident "expert mommy" gave me a basket filled with goodies like diapers (preemie diapers...I hear from everyone I know that their babies wore this size for the first week or so. I'm expecting twins, so I know my little ones will be...well...little!), diaper rash ointment, infant gas drops, infant tylenol, bottle cleaners, teethers, baby lotion, pacifiers, teeny hangers (for all those clothes!)...just a ton of very very practical and useful stuff! Register at a big chain store like Target or Babies R Us. That way if you get duplicates or things you decide you don't need/want, you can exchange them for things you do want. I stuck absolutely everything on my registry, including the big items, because some people will go in together on things. I have to agree with the other ladies...don't register for clothes. You'll get a ton anyway! Some stuff you should register for lots of: diapers/wipes (of course), liners for a diaper genie, crib sheets, "sheet-savers"...ok, now I've written a novel here :o)
Good luck and congrats!
Same old same old...nothings happening.  Whens your next drs appt?  I go the 31st for my next one.  My hips are getting worse where I cant even walk at times.  Hows things going with you?
I didnt register for diapers or wipes because I had a diaper and wipes shower at work and got tons...I have a whole closet full and an assortment...size 1's on up to pull ups.  But target has the blankets that tie to the crib that soak up pee.  So then you dont have to worry about a choking hazzard.
don't forget the cloth/burping diapers and a couple of bottle warmers, they even make a bottle warmer you can plug into the car