Maternal & Child Community
What to take for constipation?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What to take for constipation?

I am 14 weeks pregnant.  What can you take for constipation?
Related Discussions
13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
Psyillium fibre is great.  You can add it to juice.  You can buy it at the health food store.
Blank
118074_tn?1228332603
woldPrune juice and any dried fruits works well!  I a also mixed a tbsp of honey with a bit of luke warm water and drink it the 1st thing in the morning.  Also try bran cereal...
Blank
A couple of avenues can work (if the food source additions don't): Colace (stool softener, not the laxative).  It's perfectly safe for pregnant woman.  Also, if you are taking prenatal vitamins, there are several brands out there that contain a safe stool softener in them, which totally helps.  I've tried both avenues, and both work nicely.  Good luck!
Blank
165078_tn?1255610007
That has been the worst part of pregnancy for me.  I am now 32 weeks and still constipated.  I take colace to help but it does not do much.  (the only thing the doctor would allow me to take)  Prune Juice was too gross for me.  I have not had a real bm in about 6 months.  Its horrible

Lets just say I am looking forward to my Embarrassing moment on the delivery table.  I dont care how bad it is I really hope it does happen to me - that way I will loose those 20lbs that are in there too - hahaha
Blank
make sure that u are drinking lots and lots of water, thats what helped me in my pregnancy, and its more beneficial than medication, but if it is bad u can take M.O.M (milk of magnesium)
Blank
THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE.  I THINK I WULD DIE IF I WENT 6 MONTHS WITHOUT BM.  I FEEL FOR YOU.  IT HAS ONLY BEEN A WEEK OR SO AND I CANT STAND IT.  THANKS AGAIN!!!
NANCY
Blank
175317_tn?1256856921
butternut squash has seemed to really loosen things up...
Blank
I too was constipated and my OB told me to take Colace...and did it work.  It is over the counter and any pharmact will have it.
Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
We give Colace to our antepartum ladies twice a day.  There is another gentle product called Pericolace, that has a very mild laxative with the colace.  If its truly been months since a proper BM and you are uncomfortable, let the doctor know and ask if you could take it.

Severe constipation is probably more harmful than a very mild laxative, and the doctor may not know how very bad off you are.  
Blank
i've had decent luck with metamucil mixed into water 3x a day.. but you have to take it regularly, and it doesnt help immediately. prune juice if you can stomach it. also a mixture of allbran and shredded wheat. seems like i eat nothing but fiber..
Blank
145997_tn?1196795421
Eat alot of fibre!!!!  I am 15 weeks and having the same problem.  I drink lots of water and eat fibre waffles....they are really good, apples with skin on, bran muffins, raisin bran cereal before bed has really been working too.  When buying things check the fibre value on the side of the box and try to find things with the most fibre.  Prune juice never worked for me....just made me gassy.  I dont like drinking coffee while pregnant but every once in a while a cup of coffee will clean me out as well.  Decaf doesnt work though it has to be regular coffee...strange eh?
Blank
My doctor told me NOT to take benefiber or metamucil while pregnant it can just make it a lot more difficult to go and cause blockage because  it can make it way to bulky and while pregnant were already having issues with constipation so she told me to take miralax and colace BUT TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TAKING ANY ADVICE FROM THESE SITES.
Blank
i am almost 15 weeks pregnant, been very constipated... I took 1/2 a recommended dose for 12 and under of milk of mag.. It worked, the internet says its ok, but some people have said its not... worried i just did more harm than good... advise please
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...