Maternal & Child Community
Whats a good age difference between kids???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Im hoping u ladies could give me some advice based on your own experience. I have a 7wk old baby and just wondering what is a good age difference for kids. Is it too hard having them close together?? My dr wants me to get on birth control but i dont really want to cuz it took 2yrs for me to get pregnant and i dont want that happening again when we decide we are ready for our next baby. Any advice u could give me on what its like having 2 babies close in age would be very much appreciated
My first 2 are 19 mo's apart and this next one will be 18mo's apart. I love it! It's difficult, but I love it!
A recently written book on siblings and sibling rivalry said a 4-year gap or longer is easier on the family.  Comment was also made in the book that very close spacing was really more like twins, and less likely to provoke as much sibling fighting (because the other child was always there, as far as the child knew) as it does if someone new comes along in a 2-year-old's life.  

You can find exceptions to every suggestion by talking to your friends.  I have a pal who told me that he is 4 years older than his brother and "bitterly resented it" when his brother came along.  
My first started his school when i conceived for second. I felt much better. Because the elder one was a great help for me, in taking care of the new member when it arrived. And now my second is going to to school, when i am conceiving for third. I almost have a 4+ yrs gap. And i felt very comfortable with this gap. Because, i and my husband could give total attention one child needs, as a child's brain and other developments will be much faster till 5 yrs. and if we are pregnant soon, we cannot give them good attention. But things doesn't work according to our wishes, if a child has to come in this world, he will not wait for ur planning. lol. usually i had seen many freinds of mine, who got pregnant, inspite of having Cooper T ( loop), or taking birth control tablets, condoms etc etc...
hi

i have 3 children at the moment, a dd who is 4 1/2 years, a ds who is just 3 and another ds who is nearly 19 months, I have 18 months between my 1st and 2nd, and 17 between my 2nd and 3rd. It is tough being pregnant when you have a baby to deal with and when I had my 2 eldest and was having my 3rd it was really tough. But, I have to say when my 1st son was born, my dd who was only 18 months was fantastic with him and my son and daughter were great when my youngest was born, I think it will be nice when they are older too and things like the fair etc they will be able to do together. We are planning our 4th right now, this will be the biggest gap but I'm hoping not too big, am hoping to have number 4 before my son is 3. As it will definitely be our last and I don't want to big a gap. Its very much personal preference, but if I had to do the same again I would!
my 4 kids are all 3 or 3.5 years apart.  i love the gap, i just get one out oof diapers before another one comes along. 8 )
I have 3 kids the first 2 are 28 months apart and the second and third one are almost exactly 2 years apart. I think just over two years apart is good for me, the kids are close enough to be friends, but far enough they each get to be the baby for a while. i am ttc again baby #4 and my youngest is 21 months, so they will be a little over the space i usually like, but still pretty close. My sister-in-law  had 3 babys back to back (11 months apart each) they fight a lot with each other I think it is because they did 'nt have enough time to themselves, but they also help each other and don't let other people pick on their sibling only pick on each other (they are now 6,5,4). also If you do not want to go on birth control don't its not your doctor who would get pregnant, so he should'nt worry about if you don't unless there was a medical reason.
its really such a personal choice and depends on what you can handle.  my kids are 10 yrs apart, not by choice, and while i thought it would be a horrible difference it works for us so well!  i remember at 7 weeks wanting another right away lol.  it seemed so easy and such a good choice.   well then they become mobile and messy and get a mind of their own and im very glad i didnt have them that close together lol.  

My 2 boys are 10 1/2 mos. apart I like them that close, we didnt plan it but I wouldnt change It.  mine are 5 &6 I want another one. I am not going to go more then 10 yrs apart from youngest but thats just me.