Maternal & Child Community
What's your Preterm PROM story?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What's your Preterm PROM story?

Has anyone experienced preterm PROM?  If so I would love to here your story and outcome.  I myself experienced preterm PROM at 18 weeks and was told I had no options but to have a D&E.
Kiandra,

Check your Inbox.  Its in the upper right hand side of the screen
i had prom at 18 weeks. i am now 29 weeks the bag hasnt resealed. they have told me the worst case of what would happen. im still hopefull. in ultrasound they see the diaphram practicing breathing. and though baby is smaller than normal she is still growing. i would be interested in hearing your story as well.
I had preterm PROM at 18 wks as well.  The outcome was not good, so don't continue reading if you think it will weigh heavily on you and make you feel down.

I had some excellent doctors (one who told me that one option was to pray - I appreciated that because I trust the Lord).  But none of them were too optimistic.  They said if I could make it to 24 weeks that they could save the baby at a special hospital here in MN.  Our son passed away in the womb at 21 weeks.  They don't know if an infection caused the membranes to rupture or if the membranes ruptured and then an infection got in the womb.  In the end, when they examined the baby and the remaining amniotic fluid they said it was VERY infected.  I don't think our son would have been at all normal had he survived the infectious fluid until 24 weeks.

If you have any more questions, let me know.  We named him Torger Kjoss Helseth - a Norwegian name on my husband's side.  
At my 12 week scan I was found to have very little amniotic fluid. I was in Mexico at the time and the doctors gave a very bleak diagnosis. I was offered steroid treatment and told that if there was no change in 2 weeks then that was it. I returned to my native England where i was monitored weekly. My daughter was born at 36 + 6 by cesearian. She was born with hip dyslpasia, talipes and a small hole in her heart all of which are treatable. She is now 16 months old and doing very well. For all those women and men out there in a similar situation i can only say that your pregnancy has every chance of working out well - mine did.
I have had three cases of PROM.

1st with baby #2 girl. I had pre term labor from 18 weeks on and was on bed rest. I had many vaginal checks for small spotting. My water brok at 35 weeks during a nap. I woke up and my panites were wet and I was not sure what was going on. I called my mom as she was helping me with the house and #1 (13 months old) We went to the OB's office but by the time we got there 23 min I was contracting every 5 min. I was 4-5cm dialated and went straight to the hospital. The dr was to follow. I was only leaking when the contraction would stop then I would gush. LOL Well by then it was a little over and hour from when I woke up. I got to the LND floor and got out in a room and I felt her coming! The dr was not there and they paged him. He was down stairs eating lunch thinking I had time, NOT! He ran up just in time to catch her and I never pushed once like they say to. The nurse was trying to close my legs but of course that was not going to happen. 5lbs 5oz and came home in 24 hours with no problems.

Baby #3 I woke up at 6:00am to get my toher kids up and then gushed all over the floor, I was 30 1/2 weeks along. I called my mom and she came to take me to the hospital. They said since I was not in labor they would kkep me in the hospital on intermittent fetal monitoring and for every day she would saty in me was one week less in teh NICU. I got colestone shots for her lungs. Well on day 3 there I had just got unhooked form the monitor and had a horrible feeling that something was wrong with her. I called the nurse and she came but would not hook me up as she said it wwould be another 40 min! I was livid and called my OB's office and he happend to be in the hospital there. He was in my room with a machine to do a bio- physical profle on her. THey get a total of 10 points 2 for each of 5 things. She got a 2 for fluid levels believe it or not. They had me in the or and had her out in 26 min from the time I called the nurse. She was barely breathing and was on a partial resperator for just 10 1/2 hours then was fine after that and came hom in 15 days. She was 3lbs 8 ox at birth and 3lbs 14oz when leaving the hospital. She has never ahd any problems and is normal in every way with no delays.

baby #4 a girl born at 23 weeks 2 days, I was on bed rest like all the other 3 pregnancies with bleeding and contractions from 20 weeks on with this one. My water broke and I went in an ambulance to one hospital but then got transported to a high risk one. Your water doubles around 23-25 weeks and mine had not at that point. I had lost all my water and you caould see her through my belly like she was just laying under my skin. A couple hours after I got to the 2nd hospital I went into labor and then got a fever of 105. I could not ahve a c-section cuz of that. I was on a cooling blanket and labored for 25 hours before dialating and then went from 0-6 in an hour and had her on the bed with no dr in the room. She was 1lb and 2oz and lived for almost 3 hours. THey never tried to save her and they measured her only being 22 weeks.

No one ever could tell me why I had all my babies early or why my water broke. I had my tubes burnt out one month after I had #4. I got remarried in 2005 and watned to ahve another baby so bad. Well after 7 years I had a tubal reversal. I talked with two different dr's and found out the vaginal checks  increases the risk of PROM!!!!!!! I also found out that I had low progesterone is why I contracted and bleed. I am currently 23 weeks pregnant (24 on Wenesday) last friday I passed the day mark for #4. I am on progesterone shots and have had no bleeding and no contractions this time for the first time. NO bed rest either. NO dr will check me internally for any reason! I have sex with DH but with condoms so the prosdigalndins in the sperm do not soften my cervix. I truly feel that a change in the vaginal flora, bladder infections and even studies  show mouth infections or bacteria can cause PROM. I have no bad feeling with this one and hope to go full term for the first time.