Maternal & Child Community
When Should I?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When Should I?

When should i

*Start planning my baby-shower
*Send out invites
*Show for babies needs
* Change my life around.

As of the momnet im a new mother and this is my first child, I am 13 weeks into and i have no clue on what to do. From time to time i talk to my mother but its like im still lost in this whole life chaning stage. Im working full time and so is my husband but its like, when, when, when! When do i do this? And when do i do that? And when should i this, or that? Im just so lost. When family members of mines have child and i was left babysitting i learned how to take care of a child. But now that i am having my own i dont know when should my life change. Does it change on B`Day or does it change when i bring my baby home? Please help me im so lost.
It has already changed...Congradulations!!! Do not worry, everything is going to be ok, just enjoy being pregnate. I think it is best to wait to have a baby shower until you are showing. It makes everything so much more exciting! What do you mean by change your life around? It sounds like you have it together. You have experience with children and your married. I know it is very different to have your own but every little bit helps. For MOST women motherhood comes naturaly. It is the best, most rewarding thing in the world. Good luck in everything.
I mean right now i have a 1bedroom should i get a 2 for the baby. Also when is it best for shopping for the baby?
My personal opinion about the bedrooms might differ from others, mind you I had a premature baby. But I was so much more comfortable with my children in the same room as me. As for shopping, after my 3rd month i went and bought stuff like thermometers, covers, clippers, diapers, wipes, bottle, breast pump, little things like that. At about 6 months I bought the bed, swing, bassinet, car seat. And i did not buy clothes until after the ultra sound. At my baby shower I doubled up on a lot, but i ended up using it all. I got a car seat and swing at the baby shower to but I kept the reciept to the ones I bought and returned it for a stroller. I do not know your fianaces but for me I had to buy when I had it. Babys are so exspensive, and the older they get, the more they want and the more you have to spend. If I was you i would keep the one bedroom and purchace the things for the baby and after all that and the baby gets older then I would look into another apt. But i know alot of people have different views on baby in the same room.
You know what i like your view. And it was the same with my aunts and bestfriends babyshower, the double on everything. So i'll buy the things i know i need and little things i'll leave for the shower.
Good luck. I wish I could feel the excitment one more time. Enjoy it while its here.
Congratulations!  I just wanted to make a comment re: baby shower. I am not sure where you are from, but usually the person having the baby does not plan the baby shower. Usually it is someones friend or family member that plans the baby shower. At least in my experiences that is how it is done. That is not to say that there aren't pregnant women out there who have planned their own baby shower. My best friend threw a baby shower for my husband and myself after we brought home our son whom we adopted. She asked me who I wanted invited as far as family but she did all the planning and sent out invites etc... All we had to do was show up. I knew about my shower but sometimes people have surprise baby showers.  I think right now you should sit back and relax and enjoy things.  You have plenty of time to get things. Good luck with everything.
congratulations!  do you have a close family member of friend who can throw you your baby shower?  if so, discuss your timing with her.  i think most wait until they're much farther along.  i think i was 7 1/2 months or so.  don't buy too much now since you don't know what you'll get at the shower.  lots of stores like target now have a baby shower registry, so setting up the registry will help give you ideas of what you need, too.  good luck :)
Usually someone close plans the baby shower.  I had mine Sept 24th and Im due November 1st.  My moms 3 best friends threw mine, but we had it at my house and it was  a floating shower.  That way I didnt have to have it somewhere else and then load all the presents up and then unload them at home.  Also people could come by and see the nursery.
Things for me didnt really change until I could actually see him moving around during my u/s and that we knew we were having a boy.  Then that way we started calling him by his name and then everything was blue and started picking stuff out.  It became so much more realistic for me at that moment.
As for the one bedroom thing...I wouldnt stress over it.  Im using a crib in my bedroom until he starts moving too much or sleeps thru the night.  Then I will put him in his crib in his room.
Congratulations! I had the kids with me in the room until they slept through the night (3 months for me). My last one is an ex-preemie and he'll be moving from the bassinet to the crib very soon (he's 3m adjusted). I moved from an appartment before having the twins. In my case I should have waited. It's not fun moving when you're pregnant and my husband didn't realise yet how much more room we would need, so now my house is still cramped. I'd recommend waiting till the baby is about 3m and go from there, but that's just me. Also, if you plan on breastfeeding a co-sleeper might be nice. I wanted one with this baby, but since he was so early I put him in a bassinet next to my bed so I can use a movement sensor. Anyway, you have plenty of time, you'll figure it out!