Maternal & Child Community
When can I expect to ovulate after miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I went for an ultrasound on Christmas Eve because I was having bleeding.  I was at 11 weeks and 5 days.  The ultasound showed that the embryo had died at 7 weeks and 5 days.  I was having a miscarriage.  I did not go for a D&C and after 6 days I am now only bleeding a small amount.  How long can I expect it to take before I menstruate again?  Will I ovulate before my next period? Is next March too soon to try to get pregnant again?  Thanks.
I'm so sorry that you went throught this at this time of year. Surround yourself with the people/things that you love and that love you. I had my little angel boy at 20 weeks, didn't receive my first period afterwards for 6 weeks, and was pregnant following this period (almost 8 weeks to the day of the birth of our son was my conception date). I am now 18 weeks and  things are looking good. As long as your doctor says all looks okay, you can typically start trying again after 1 cycle (some doctors say 3 or more cycles - but there are many ladies on this forum who have become pregnant right away). Once again, my thoughts are with you...
Shelley
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  The same thing happened to me christmas morning.  I was 10 weeks pregnant and had bleeding. An ultrasound Dec 23 showed no fetal activity and I was measured at 9 weeks.  The miscarriage completed on christmas morning and so I did not have to have a d&C.  I am still dealing with the emotional pain and the surprise of it all, (I guess it is always so unexpected - I visited the doctor at 9 weeks and saw the fetal heartbeat on the ultrasound and know that the chances of miscarriage are low after a heartbeat is detected) I just stopped the spotting today (two weeks later).  I am also taking my basal body temp. so I can detect my ovulation.  I think I just had the pre-ovulation dip this morning but am not sure.  I too want to be pregnant again as soon as it is safe.  My doctor told me to wait two cycles before we start trying again. (I forgot to ask him why 2 cycles...I just took him at his word and didn't question it - but, now I am curious to know why)  You wrote that you did not have to have a d&c, are you still spotting?  Have you visited your doctor since christmas eve so you can be examined?  I would call your doctor's office and ask their advice re: when to resume trying to conceive. (I would be interested in knowing what they say too.)  Hope things go well with you, take care.
Thank you both for your kind words.  I am so sorry to hear of your loss...I wish you the best.

I stopped spotting on January 10th, which was about 20 days since I miscarried.  I went and saw my doctor on January 6th and she sent me for a follow-up ultrasound. The result showed that there was a very tiny amount of tissue left in the uterus and she felt that it is best that I wait for it to shed with my next period.  Physically I feel fine and will monitor for any future bleeding.  

My doctor told me that physically it is OK to get pregnant again right away.  However she did say that she recommends waiting until after 1 cycle because she would like to have a LMP date.  But she did say that if I did get pregnant before this, not to worry, things would be OK.  

My husband and I do want to try again and will do after 1 cycle has passed.

take care :)
I just wanna say my heart goes out to the mothers who have lost their babies.  I am 19 yrs. old and at the age of 18 I too lost my baby.  My baby boy was born at 20 wks.  I was so devastated.  I was told I had a low-lying placenta which was causing me to bleed and later miscarry.  I am still trying and after four long months I am still not pregnant.  I will keep trying and hopefully by next month become pregnant.  I just want to encourage the mothers who lost a baby if you want to have another child don't let anyone discourage you and tell you its to soon, unless of course your doctor tells you otherwise.  To the mothers who experienced what I went through, do you think I should wait or what do you think is taking so long for me to conceive?
Hello! just logged on to this site and feel the need to talk to others in my situation. I just miscarried on Sunday and Monday they did a D&C. I was 10 weeks and was dumbfounded because I had just been to the doctor and everything was fine. I feel so lost and was wondering how soon do you get your next period after a D&C, I really had no bleeding after the d&c just slightly. I don't wish this on anybody and the emotional roller coaster I am starting to be on is awful. I look forward to getting pregnant agian yet the fear of it happening again is over whelming. How long should I wait??
When I lost my first baby the nurses at the hospital said my period should go back to when I normally had them, but the further into a pregnancy you are, the longer you bleed for afterwards, I bled for 3 weeks after my first pregnancy loss, I was 16 weeks at the time. The second time, I had a d&c as I had a missed miscarriage, my periods went weird and irregular for 6 months, then I conceived straight away when they returned to what I call "normal."  Unfortunately I miscarried the day after New Year, but my period came back on the same day before I fell pregnant this time. You can never tell when it will come back, it is different every time, I think the nurses said what they did to give me some sort of hope.
I guess I havn't really helped, but like every pregnancy is different for women, so are periods returning after such a horrible event.
Angel

You say you wonder what is taking you so long to get pg?
Your body will know when it is right time for a baby to grow on it and as much as I hate saying it, it takes time for things to settle down.  The consultant I saw after losing my third baby told me you pituatry gland (what makes you happy, sad, depressed, elated) is connected to your ovaries, so if you feel **** then it affects your periods and everything.
So the best thing you can do is be positive and try forget about getting pregnant, cos it is sooo true it happens when you least expect it!!
On March 20th I lost twins. i wanted those two babies so bad. I don't know how to feel anymore, I was 10 weeks and there was no explanation. I feel so empty and don't know if i want to try again. I don't think iI can go through this again knowing that i was supposed to have twins. Has anyone else lost twins? How did you cope?
Hi girls, First i would like to offer a piece of my heart to all the other mothers who have lost their babies to this horrible and often unexplained curse! As this is the hardest time of my life i take great comfort from the words offerred by all of the other mothers out there and i know by reading this board that i am not alone.
I lost my first baby on 18th February. I went for a 8 week scan as had spotting which resulted in me having to have anti-D injections. I then had a scan at 9 weeks and was told it was a very positive scan and that possibly i was not as far on as we had thought but another scan at 11 weeks showed that my pregnancy was not continuing and the baby had not pregressed past 7 weeks????  I had to go back the next day for a D&C. I have still not had my period yet and as have polycystic ovaries and not sure how my cycle will work out? My fiance and i have continued to have unpotected sex as i feel "what's for me will not go by me" But am out of my mind waiting for my period wondering if we could have concieved again??? Why is this all so hard?????
I am in your same situation.  I had a natural m/c and should be getting my period soon but I am not sure when to expect it. My DH and I also have been having unprotected sex.

We are leaving it in God's hands and have faith that if it will happen soon that everything will be ok.  I know that it is a terrible waiting game that can drive you up the wall but stay strong!

Hope this helps!
Good Luck
Norma
I am in the same situation.  Positve HPTs last month on cd 25-32.  I usually have a 27-28 day cycle.  Bleeding began on cd 33 which was March 1.  It is now April 4 and I have had 5 positive HPT in five days.  I was doing Answer ovulation predictor sticks, but I would swear they had me ovulating on the 10th, 16th and 20th.  I think I ovulated late becuase I had a negative HPT on cd 27 but positive on 28 and it was one of those early tests.  Do I trust it?    Last time I had her do a urine test on cd 26 and it was a "weak positive" - obviously I lost it days later.  How long should I wait before going to confirm this time with my doctor?
Hello Moms To be:

I know we are all going to be gifted with a child because our hearts so desire one. Going through a misarriage was the most painful experience of my life. My husband and I had been trying for over 1 year. I was about to begin infertility testing when I got pregnant on 1/04. I was so excited and took care of myself as best I could. I lost my baby at 7 weeks. Did not have to have a d&c and blead for about 8 days. Now, I too have no idea when I have ovulated if I have at all. It's been 36 days since the bleeding and I had been measuring my levels with the clear blue monitor, but after 27 days I decided to stop. Soon after that I began to have the cervical mucus and my body temperature was higher, so I'm assuming I ovulated. For the past 3 days or so I have been experiencing mild cramping every so often, just like i felt when I got pregnant the first time. I'm thinking I may be pregnant again. Could it be possible?
HELLO,
     I WAS READING EVERYONE'S COMMENTS AND I HAVE A QUESTION I HAVE HAD 2 MISCARRIAGES BOTH AT 10 WEEKS GESTATION I HAVE THIS FEAR THAT I CAN NOT GET PREGNANT AGAIN. ITS BEEN SINCE OCTOBER 2002. IS THIS NORMAL?
hiya i need a little support i had a m/c on new years eve im 19 and my head is in bits me and my boyfriend wanted a baby so much after trying for 9 months we got pg we were so happy i want to know when my periods will come back  as this was my fist pregnancey we are having un protected sex hoping to concive again how long should it take xx terri xxx
it all depends as to when ur going to ovulate again. however i heard your are supposed to wait i think 2-3 cycles before trying again. something around that
I just wanna say tha my heart and prayers goes out to all. I have been throught this hard time also but remember to let God  and everything will go well. Love you all
Iam so sorry that you had to go thourgh that,but i no where your coming from I had a miscarriage in Oct of 2007 i was about 3 months pregnant. The doctor told me i shouldnt try to get pregnant untill after 2 to 3 months
hi I had a m/c     tue morn by thur the bleeding had stopped and it just felt like a bad dream. I was 5 wks preg felt fine, decided to tell my children mon night then had to tell them I had lost baby tue moz they where upset but very supporting my husband as been great, I am sure I was ovalating sat nigh is this possible so soon 4 days after a m/c
We recently lost our son (Max) due to a genetic disorder at 20 weeks, he was the light of our life, I required surgery after having him to remove the placenta, however only bleed for about 7 days lightly after. It has been 25 days since my son was born with no period in sight yet, I think I ovulated two weeks after his birth due to temp drops and rises? While I am scared and feel guilty for wanting to move on I can not wait to fall pregnant again, I miss everything about the experience. I am hopeful that I will be pregant again soon and wish everyone the best of luck in their own journey in becomming parents. All your comments have been a huge help in moving forward.
pls help me .... i lost my baby on the 14th march 2008 5 days before my birthday and was 7wks gone.....
me and my boyfriend really want to try again!!
i am not sure when i will have another period, and my m/c lasted 1 week.
they found out that i had an infection that u can get during pregnanncy, and thats wat caused me to m/c.
i know it will be stupid to try again, but we are so desprate.
pls help..
my heart goes out to everyone who has been through the same thing
angela xx
HELLO, I AM 5 WEEKS PREGNANT AND HAVING A MISCARRIAGE AS WE SPEAK. BEFORE THIS WHEN I WAS 18 I LOST A BABY AT 10 WEEKS AND 5 DAYS. IT WAS AWFUL!! THEN I GOT PREGNANT ABOUT 6  MONTHS LATER AND HAVE A HEALTHY 2 YEAR OLD BABY GIRL. DONT GIVE UP TRY AGAIN!! WHICH IS HARD FOR ME TO SAY AS I AM WRITING THIS I AM HAVING A MISCARRIAGE MYSELF. BUT DONT GIVE UP. I WAS READING THIS THING ON THE INTERNET AND IT SAYS THAT WOMEN HAVE MISCARRIAGES ALWAYS END UP HAVING A BABY THE NEXT GO AROUND! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
I HATE TO HEAR OF ALL OF YOUR LOSSES, I TOO RECENTLY HAD A MISCARRIAGE (JUNE 23,08) AND AM STILL DEALING WITH THE HURT.  I HAVE 3 HEALTHY CHILDREN ALREADY AND CAN NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS HAS HAPPENED.  DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG?  WHY AM I BEING PUNISHED?  THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT RUN THROUGH MY HEAD.  I CAME HERE LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO THE WUESTION, WHEN SHOULD I EXPECT MY PERIOD AFTER A MISCARRIAGE.  I WAS TECHNICALLY 9 WEEKS BUT THEY THINK THE PREGNANCY BECAME NON-VIABLE AT AROUND 5 WEEKS.  MY FRIEND FOUND OUT A WEEK AGO SHE WAS ABOUT 5 WEEKS ALONG AND NOW SHE TOO IS HAVING A MISCARRIAGE.  IT IS THE MOST AWFUL FEELING IN THE WORLD!  I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR MY PERIOD BUT HAVE NOT GOTTEN IT WHEN I FELT LIKE I SHOULD AND AM TERRIFIED!  MY HUBBY THINKS WE MAY BE PREGNANT AGAIN BUT WHAT AM I GONNA DO IF I AM?  HOW GREAT IS THE CHANCE OF ANOTHER MISCARRIGE?  SORRY JUST SOME RANDOM RAMBLINGS.......MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO EVERYONE HERE THAT HAS FELT THIS LOSS!