Maternal & Child Community
When did your baby outgrow their Acid Reflux?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi there. My three month old has suffers from acid reflux. We finally got him on the right meds (Prevacid) and he is doing better but he still struggles with it. I have read posts on this forum and it seems that acid reflux is more common than I thought. Anyways my question is for all you moms who have had a child with acid reflux, when does it get better? My son's doctor says that usually it starts to get better at 4 months but usually isn't gone until one year. I was just wondering if this was true for you moms who have been through this... When did things start getting better for you? I know all babies are different but I was just curious to hear your stories  Thanks a lot =)
At around 9 months.
My son was about 1.
Prevacid is so wonderful.  They had Ryan on Zantac at first - not only did it not work he hated it. He loves prevacid.  He will be 5months old Monday and still takes 30mcg.  He is fine with that.  
My dd was better by the time I was able to get an appointment with the specialist, she had out grew it.  Around 3 months. The dr told me that if she still had it, it would start to subside around 6 months when she starts to sit up.
thanks ladies
Cam is 7 & 1/2 months and just got really sick from his acid reflux, they had to tweak his meds again.  Usually they begin to outgrow it around 6 months and it's gone by 1 yr, but each kiddo is different.  Just be sure to watch as he gets bigger, they tend to outgrow the dosing.  We have tried to let it go and see what happens, but it has not been good for us, so we hope around a yr. it will fade.  Hang in there!
DD is 14 months and still on Prevacid.  I also hoped that by 1 she'll be off the meds by now that she's getting more and more teeth (she started teething at 6 months) the reflux is worse so we can't take her off any time soon.  Please, don't make the same mistake I made.  Don't give yourself timelines when he should be off the Prevacid b/c I did and it took me some time to "come to terms" with it, so to speak that she's still on the medication.  Good luck.