Maternal & Child Community
When did your baby start walking?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When did your baby start walking?

My son Noah is a little over 13 months and is not walking yet. He stand up on his own and kinda waves his hands around but hasnt taken any steps yet.  He cruises on furniture and with his Dump Truck walker toy.  Both of my girls (now 8 and 11) started walking right at 13 months. I thought boys had faster motor skills?
6%
 (2) 
< than 9 months
38%
 (12) 
9-11 months
16%
 (5) 
12 months
38%
 (12) 
> than 12 months
31 Members voted
My DD started walking at 13 months as well.
My dd started at 11 months. DS is now 10 month. He crawled earlier, used a sippy cup earlier, I feel like everything earlier. Signs of walking, NONE. He has been pulling up for the last 1 1/2 months and slowly walks behind walker toys. Picking up his fat legs on his own, huh, I don't see it happening anytime soon :( I think Noah sounds just perfect.  He will not only walk soon, but RUN :)
My son at 15 months. He was an early talker but late walker. His head has always been huge in relation to his skinny legs and body, so I think it just took him longer to find his balance. But once he walked, he ran, no stopping.
Reilly started walking around 11 months.
all three of my boys starting walking within a couple days of their first birthday.  
My son didn't walk until 17 months. The doc said average is anywhere between 7 months and 18 months so don't worry, he will get there.
We went to the local Children's Museum on my son's 1st birthday -- (didn't have a party, but wanted to commemorate the day somehow.)  We were sitting with him in the Infant's Room, and in that particular age-selected room that day, almost all of the kids were right around age 1 year.  My son crawled and occasionally cruised with support (his hands on things), one boy merely scooted on his butt, had not even developed it into a crawl.  Another was running all over the place and had been since 10 months, another was just starting to try standing up (with support).  In other words, the one-year point is an age where kids are totally all over the map in terms of walking.  They are all walking now, that is for sure!  (For the poll, my son walked sometime between the end of month 12 and the end of month 13.  Can't remember exactly; how quickly we forget.  LOL)  
*sigh* Aspen is 15 months exactly today and although she can walk... she doesn't. I've seen her take a couple of steps out of the corner of my eye but she won't ever do it if anyone is watching. I don't know what is up anymore and am a little concerned about her lack of progress.
Oldest dd started around her first birthday. Our youngest, started super early, like 10 months. She is running all over the place and she is nearly 16 months. It is shocking, because I thought girls took longer, but nope, She was off and walking within a few days. I wouldn't worry. These things seem to be different for every child, one day he may let go of the furniture or dump truck, and not even realize he is walking on his own!
13 months is when my Noah took his first steps, he was kinda afraid of his new found talent and it took him about a month or so before he was walking around the room.
Thank you for your responses!!! It makes me feel a lot better...lol  Yes Noah does have those Chunky Thighs still!! haha  I am afraid once he does start walking, he'll be running (like Kellym said!)  When he started crawling, he was OFF!!
So it sounds like 13 months is the average.......whew......Thanks ladies! You rock!
I also heard that it's very normal for a baby to start walking at (even ) 18 months!
I'd say: as long as you see Noah cruising or crawling, girl, I don't think you have to worry about anything! plus, I also read that it has nothing to do with later development... so he might be early in some other things, but he is just not ready for the walking thing yet...
Hun, take one day at a time. He'll surprise you one day out of the blue, he'll start taking his steps and in less than you think, he'll be running around like it's nothing! =))

My bub started walking at 9 months (gramma would grab her and 'walk' her since she was like 6 months!! I owe it to her!) and when she turned 10 months she was running! lol
Yesterday I took her to the mall and she was fascinated running thru the racks of clothes and dancing to the music! it was so cute... =)

What we did (dh and I) is that we'd sit every evening with her in her room, and just 'pass' her to each other, encouraging her to take her first steps... once she gained confidence, she was a runner! or I'd sit infront of a couch and 'guide' her to it, so she slowly gained confidence and started letting my hands go and taking her steps and would bounce on the couch.

She walks like Frankenbaby! lol it's so funny.
My DS is nearly 15 months and still isn't walking.  He pulls up on everything and cruises around the table and couch holding on but won't let go on his own.  My ped said that was completely normal.
V- you are so cute and sweet (smile). Frankenbaby....LMAO!!  Of course, Noah not walking may be due to the fact that DH and my DD's carry him around every where!! hahah  He is somewhat advanced in other areas....he's been feeding himself for a month, started talking (saying the dog's names, sissy and daddy....I am ummm-ma) and playing by himself with his toys.

Baboojamaica- Thank you! I feel a lot better. I guess, they'll walk when they are good and ready and then we'll probably be wishing they'd slow down! lol
Mine dd started at 7 months but did not crawl until 10 months.  she was walking from chair to couch on her own.  By 8 months she was running.  

Wow Cantwait!!!  It sounds like your DD had things she NEEDED to do and needed them done ASAP! lol
And she is still like that - she does not even let me put her in her stoller she has to walk.  I am hoping her soon to be born baby brother does not want to do things so fast.

PS.  I begged and begged for the name Noah but my fiance does not like it.  That is my favorite boy name.  You are so lucky!  
Jayden started a little bit after his 1st birthday.  
My son just took his first unassisted 2 days ago.  Like your son he was cruising and walking with toys but not walking on his own, up until two days ago.  He just turned one this month.  
all 3 of my dds started walking between 13 and 14 months old.  ds is 9 months so we'll see if he will follow in their footsteps.
My daughter was a real chubster and could barely roll over all the way at 7 months.  She never crawled and my neighbors used to get on me like when is your child going to crawl!  Well just as they said that she started walking and skipped crawling all together --that was at 11 months and was easily running by 12 months.  Every kid is different.