Maternal & Child Community
When did your baby's eye color change?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When did your baby's eye color change?

My baby is turning 12 weeks on Thursday.  When she was born her eyes were the classic dark grey/blue.  Around 1 month they started changing to a grey, green, brown color and they've stayed that way.  I can't really describe them as hazel as they have grey in them slightly.  Both my Dh and I have really dark brown eyes.  I know this is a dominant gene. My father and sister do have hazel eyes and I know it's a recessive gene.  Technically I know baby's eyes can change up to a year of life but 99% of baby's I've known had their eye color decided at this age.  

What about your baby?  By 3 months was their eye color decided?  Is it possible my daughter will keep this color?
Tags: maternal, eyes
My 2nd d/d eye's seemed to change from week to week from birth all the way to 9 months, starting from classic dark blue to light brown to dark grey. I'd be thinking one week oh there gorgeous stop like that then in another light a week on they'd be a different shade again! Her father has very light blue eye's and i have dark brown, She's all grown up 10 year old now with large gorgeous chocolate brown eye's!
My oldest son had beautiful blue eyes like mine and then sometime around 12 or 13 months of age, they turned green like my dh's. My middle son's eye turned by the time he was 12 months old, also from blue to green. I am patiently waiting for my youngest son's eyes to change as well. I would love to have one child with my eye color, but i fear it won't happen.

I think the eye color should be set by 6 months.  I was floored at my son's eyes - born with deep blue and they have stayed that way.  He is now 10 months and has the most gorgeous blue eyes.  My husband's are brown and mine are hazel green.  Who knows where his came from, but we love them!!!
Sorry forgot to mention, My first d/d's eye's were classic baby blue at birth and changed to dark brown by 3 months and stayed that way. So it's difficult to say, i'm afraid it's that classic cliche, Every baby is different! would'nt it be boring if they was'nt! lol.
i have read up to a year for the permenant color to develop. my neice however took longer before her light blue eyes turned a gorgeous grey. im sure there is a norm and some kids just dont follow it lol.
My kid's eyes liked to mess with us. Apparnetly when I was a baby/child, my eyes would change from blue to green when I was tired. So initally I picke dup on the same thing with the kids, I finally realized they weren't tired all the time and that their eyes had definitely changed ; )

My nephew's eyes changed from blue to nearly black when he was 9 months,
OMG! 12 weeks already? I remember when we were trying to figure out if you were in labor. My god, where does the time go!
Cool, thanks!  It would be beautiful if my DD keeps her light eyes since she has tan skin and really dark brown hair.  But a part of me wants to see those big brown eyes!! LOL!  I guess, I'll just have to wait it out and see!
Yeah, tell me about it!  It turned out at that time I wasn't in labor!  I went another week and I was induced due to hypertension!  It was a fast and furious labor, only 3.5 hours and she was out!  Thank goodness for that!  She's getting so big!  She had her first giggle yesterday.  It's so exciting seeing our little ones grown and learn new things.  
My DD had beautiful blue eyes (like her Dad) until she was about 5yrs old - now she has green eyes like me.  Sometimes if she wears a certain color they do look a little more blue.  We laugh b/c her step-Dad has the exact same eye color as her and his eyes change color (just like hers) depending on what color he's wearing.  It makes them feel more "related". Too cute! :)
we have changing   eyes still at 5 years old  on my eldest going from green to brown!  my girl has very dark brown already at 2 years so cant change now but i too have gree/ brown eye and they do change depending on the light !
DD is 7 months and her eyes are dark green (I can't really call them hazel).  Mine are dark brown, DH's are green so I'm hoping her eyes stay that way b/c I just love that color :)  
I have VERY dark brown eyes and light brown hair, DD's father has blue eyes and blonde hair but DD is brown eyed and brown haired. Her eyes changed to brown at 3 weeks!!!
I am now with a different partner, he has blue eyes and strawberry blonde hair so I will be very interested in seeing what colour eyes #2 will have! I am 19 weeks pregnant so still have a while to wait!!

Hayley xx
MY DD eyes are still canging and she is almost 22 months. The were at birth, a greyish-blue, and for the longest time they were a blueish-green, and now it looks as if they will be a pretty emerald green, like her mamma's:)
My eyes changed color a few times, they were blue until I was 9, then they turned Hazel until I was 12, Since then they have been green I am now 23
my childrens eye colors were all pretty much set around 3 months of age.. i have it written down in my journals...  they all range from green ..brown...blue and hazel.. we have everything here... I am hoping that my 4 week old Zane will have blue eyes.. they havent changed.. so.. heres to hoping..lol..
My dh had very blue eyes until after he started school, now they are very green.

My dd had brown eyes by 10 weeks and they have never changed.

My ds has very blue eyes, he is 3.5 and it will be interesting to see if they stay that colour.
my 9 week old daughter has a right eye that is slightly darker than the left eye... is this normal?  I know that her eye color is still changing, but has anyone else experienced this?
my sisters boyfriend's eyes are two different color. like right down the middle, one sied is a beautifull shade of blue and the other half of his eye is a pritty emerald green color. and he is 17
I also knew a girl with one beautiful blue iris and her other was really dark brown!

My eyes still change colour at 32, somedays they are more green, other days greyish and sometimes hazel. My eldest son's are like mine, & month old Sam still has baby blues.
I wonder what my son's eye color will be.  when he was born, he eyes were dark blue. now he is 2 months old and they are still blue just a little lighter. My eyes are green and my husband's are blue. I've seen baby pics of me at 6 months and my eyes were still blue. I wonder if my lil guy will take after me or his dad. i check every day...just have to wait and see. :o)
I was wondering what color eyes my son will end up with. As of right now they seem medium grey but in pictures and good light they are grey with blue on the outer part and  green and yellow/light brown near the pupil. They look like a My husband has amber eyes I have reddish brown color. But colored eyes run in both sides as to medium brown. Our 3yr. old was born with steel blue eyes that now are a vivid green color. Anyone with their kids like my son. He is on the verge of turning 3-months-old.

OMG, I last posted in this thread last May when I was 19 weeks pregnant!
Well my son was born Sept 20th 07 and is presently 7 months.......his eyes change day by day but there seems to be no sign of brown as expected, they are blue somedays and grey on others. Also he has blonde (almost white) hair which was definately unexpected, perhaps I brought the wrong baby home, hehe, only joking, he looks too much like DF and I to not be ours.

Hayley x
My sons eyes were blue up untill 14 months. The doctor said that she was sure his eyes would stay blue. Well, around 16 months we started noticing green specks. My son is now 21/2 and his eyes are completely green, only just tiny specks of blue. We were a little dissapointed but his color now is very unique and beautiful.