Maternal & Child Community
When did your colic baby peek

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When did your colic baby peek

Ok, as most of you know Ryan is colic.  He has gotten worse since last week.  He started about 2weeks old and I think he has peeked.  He cries most of the time he is up - during the day and is really bad from 5-11.  I mean bad. Did your babies peek with colic and how long was the peek.  I took him to the Dr. and he said he didn't think he had acid reflux.  But he can be in a dead sleep act like he has to through up.  It is very scared to see him hold his breath like that.  That is why he sleeps with me.  Dr. said to keep giving him the med because it won't hurt.  I thought he would at least change it or increase it.  I just don't see how colic can last most of the time he is up.  Also, he has a dimple in his ear and they wanted me to watch it because it could be a sign that other things did not devlop correctly.  Nothing so far has suggested that.  Should I just accept the fact that he is colic or go to another dr.
My sons colic lasted for about 4 months or so. Some kids are less and some are more. My sister had colic for 6 months. But they found out it was due to allergy to formula (this was back in the 70's early 80's).
I know how hard it is,cant take them anywhere. I had to take my son to part time day care when he was like that I felt so bad. Eventually we just had to let him scream it out to get some sleep. I know there are a ton of people out there that are gona jump all over me and judge me for that. But we had to get sleep and so did he.
He slept great after doing that took lots of naps as a toddler and to theis day sleeps great.
He is still a fysty child of course.
I do blame the fussiness on allergy. Because he had other problems as well
Ryan is 6weeks old and work is begging me to come back.  They want me to bring the baby into work, but I'm not to sure that will work out.  I told them I wanted to come back the week of Aug 27th.  Boss said come in, so I will bring him in.  Your right I can't take Ryan anywhere because of him cring so bad.  I understand what you mean by letting him cry.  When 11pm hits, I put him in the bed with me and he cries, I try to calm him and we then go to sleep after about 40min of back and forth crying.  I have him on Alimentum but it is not doing anything.  It is Similac and I am to the point I want to try a different brand like enfamil -- Dr says they are all the same enfamil and similac.  I was going to try Enfamil Lipil.  My sister is going to watch Ryan when I go back to work part time from 10-4 but I think maybe it will be only 4days because Dr. is going to give me a note.  He told me colic would last till 3 months of age.  I got so many differnt formulas I thought to just use them all up because none have made a difference.
Very frustrating. The only other thing I can suggest is mabye try and organic baby formula.
But I am sure your sick of trying all that.
Have you tried white noise with him?
Yes, he likes white noise but I don't know where to get a CD.  I will try an organic formula.  Similac has one, so I will get it today because he is use to Similac.  Dr. said put him on good start but he cried when I try that.  He must have not liked the taste :-)  How is you son now.  Is he clam?  When the colic stopped did he still have to be held all the time and the sleeping when did that improve.  ryan does sleep but only with me.  He averages about 6hours a night getting up after every three hours.
Thats actually not bad 6 hrs a night. I think thats better than what my son did.
When we did get him to sleep thru the night no he didnt have to be soothed to much to sleep. We would put him in his crib and he would get to sleep on his own, prior to that yes he constantly had to be held.
I cant remember everything exactly cause it had been 5 yrs.
Unfortunatley with my son he did end up having some speechdelays and motor planning.No he is not calm, he can be hyper and has a hard tiem with concentration. We were concerned about autism but that had been ruled out. He is also sometimes defiant and can be emotional.  He has NEVER been an easy child. But that is NOT to say that will happen with your son. Colicky children can also can come in all shapes and sizes.. My friends daughter was colicky and she is now almost 6 and smart as a whip and a VERY calm child.    

I will say the greatest imrovement with my son started when we started giving him Omegas (DHA), probiotics, multivitamins. Also (everyone is gona get on me for this one) when we stopped immunizing him. When he was and infant to toddler he had diarhea (diarrhea) or consiptation all the time. Several ear infections and pneumonia. Since I stopped giving him his shots at age 2 1/2 he really is hardly ever sick. I cant even remember (knock on wood) the last time he was sick I know it has been over a yr at least.He is a happy little boy who sleeps great, likes his friends, is a daddys little boy and can be very sweet.

I think your son will ge tthere.
Try Neutrimagen formula.  It is suppose to help colic with in 48 hours.  My first DD had acid reflux we thought and she had to be on Neutrimagen now my new DD was projectile vomiting and the dr. suggested maybe it was not reflux but a milk allergy so I started her on it and the vomiting stopped.  She still had some collic but it got better and it was over for her at about 7 or 8 weeks.
I know what you're going through.  DD was very "colicky" as the drs put it.  (yes, I went to 5 different drs b/c I would not accept the "colic" verdict).  It turns out she had reflux and we had to try 3 different meds before finding the one that works.  We finally got some sleep around 4 months but the fussiness did not stop until 6 months.  I promise you it gets better.  If you can't find the CD with white noise, you can put the radio static (same thing).  I wish it helped DD.  She would listen for 5 seconds then continue to cry (and hers was very bad anywhere from 7-9 pm until 4 am!!).  I think that switching to soy based formula also helped DD (but I'm reading more and more things against the soy so as of 2 months ago, she's off the soy formula).  Good luck.
Yes, I thought the Dr. should have tried a different med.  and went from there, but he does not spit up.  Could he still have reflux because i see him hold his breath and it looks as though something is trying to come up and he screams.  I though Neutrimagen was the same as Alimentum
He does NOT need to spit up in order to be in pain/discomfort.  There is such a thing as "silent reflux" meaning that the baby doesn't spit up but there is still acid coming up and it hurts him.  You answered you question.  You're telling me that it "looks as though something is trying to come up and he screams".  That's a clear indication that he's in pain from the acid.  Does he exhibit other signs like pulling away from the bottle/breast, wanting to nurse constantly, arching his back when you're offering a bottle?  What meds is he on now?  I might be mistaken but I thought that Neutrigamen and Alimentum were two different formulas.  
Yes, he does pull away from the bottle and he does arch his back. He also wants the bottle constantly.  He is on Zantac (sp).  Should I go to another dr?  There is another one in his office that I like.  Neutrigamen is made by Enfamil.  I thought that they were the same in nature.  I will try it though Do you think he may need more med or a different one?  I wait to feed him but he wants the bottle often.
Zantac is an H2 blocker which is RARELY helpful to infants.  What most babies need is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor).  Most drs are old school and prefer not to prescribe it to children under the age of 2 but if you go armed with information, they do.  I would suggest to go to your dr/specialist and take the info that you can find on marci-kids.com.  There is also a lot of info available on infantreflux.org about H2 blockers and PPI's.  I really hope you'll find the relief you all need soon.  Btw, infantreflux.org has a forum full of mommies who went/are going through the same thing.  I'm there as well and I absolutely love talking to these knowledgable women.  Who else will understand you better than the person who's going through the same thing.  
My first son peaked on day 3, his first night home and finally outgrew it around 4 months.  Screamed pretty much allevening andnight and would finally calm down early morning.  My sceond one became colicky at 2 weeks to the day and was awful again from the start, he slowed down some when they put him on Nutramigen ( he was on soy and had reacted to the milk based and also breast  milk), then they put him on Prevacid and finally added Reglan at 10 weeks.  They helped, but he still was difficult at night.  He was 4 months on Monday and has outgrown it and is now a happy baby.  He still had issues with reflux and reactive airway, but the colic slowly lifted a few weeks back.  One day they just get a little better and then it stops.  Hang in there.
You've posted before about the colic, did you go get the DVD "Happiest Baby on the Block" as suggested? Plus you'll find a million white noise CD's by doing an internet or ebay search- they're everywhere! I got one at Target.
I went thru colic w/ my daughter til about month 5- eves. were soooo bad! Plus my husband didn't come home til almost 8p, so I had her all by myself to deal with.
As previously suggested...look on the internet for ColicCalm. It helped some. Buy the DVD like NOW. It helped a lot. Then try warm baths at night (I used to get in w/ her)- it was the only 45 mins or so I had of her not crying. I breastfed, b/c I know most formulas aren't the easiest for babies to digest, but that didn't seem to matter. Lastly, go to the internet (again) and find a support site specific to colic. I wish I could remember the one I used to go to, but it was similar to this and helped tremendously to talk w/ others experiencing colic day and day out. I would not reach for any more medication as a solution...don't worry..it does get better!
I hate to keep posting about this but man do the questions just keep coming in my mind.  I did call the doctor and ask him to try another med.  He does not spit up though.  It is so nice to know someone else has gone through this.  I did get the Happiest baby on the block but it does not work that great with Ryan.  Some of it does but he doesn't clam that easy and if he does stop it is only for about 5 min.  Our crazy colic babies, but I am thankful that he is healthy other then the cring and acid reflux.  Crritter what is a reactive airway?  
Reactive airway is when the airways tighten up, makes it harder for them to breathe.  Some outgrow it and some don't, when they are 2 most Dr.'s will check again and may diagnose asthma.  My first one outgrew it around 3.  I just have a hard time understanding how the acid reflux can cause it, but they can't find anything else going on.  We'll find out more after his appt. with the specialist.  I also have a copy of the happiest baby on the block.  Not all of it worked for me and he they still screamed and cried.  I did use the shushing and side holding and swaying though.  Seemed to comfort them more than just rocking.  Also, some babies don't spit up when they have acid reflux, and some babies do spit up and don't have it.  I mentioned the faces my son made and how he woke up from a deep sleep crying and seemd to be in pain.  They put him on meds immediatley.  It was confirmed later during an x-ray, but htey never questioned me.  He still cried from the colic, but when they got the meds right it helped and I noticed that he didn't seem to be in so much pain and definitely didn't wake up crying and screaming like before.  I had to come here for support during those first months, I thought I was going to lose my mind I was exhausted and frustrated and felt like I could not comfort my own baby.  It's a bad feeling, but it will pass, maybe not fast enough, but hopefully soon.  I hope they figure out what's going on for little Ryan and that he feels better soon.
The problem is the dr. doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with him but colic but I think there is something.  Zantac is not working.  I will take him to another dr and see what they say.  I really like my dr. but he just won't listen.  A baby that cries most of the time he is awake has a problem some where.  Sleeping and waking up all of a sudden.
If you think that something is wrong I would trust your instinct.  My first one did cry most of the time and was up all night he would catnap in the day and we would only get short naps if I held him.  The only thing he had going on was colic, but he did not wake up from a deep sleep crying and screaming.  He pretty much cried all the time.  Even our daycare provider commented that he had a difficult temperament.  It is possible that he is very colicky and that's why he's crying, but if he seems to be waking from a deep sleep in pain or upset, maybe it's more.  Cameron is very laid back if he feels well and smiles all of the time.  He didn't start out that way, but thankfully it's getting better each day.  I have noticed that by the end of the day when he is due for his meds again he is getting crabby and not feeling the best.  Last night he cried for a good 1/2 hour and I had to walk with him.  Hasn't done that in a few weeks, but when his meds kicked in he was fine and you could see he was feeling better.