Maternal & Child Community
When did your kdis stop believing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When did your kdis stop believing?

I was just wondering when your kids stopped believing in the tooth fairy, Santa, easter bunny etc? My ten year old just found out about the tooth fairy tonight. She took it very well. But I'm a little worried about her telling her younger siblings. she has 3 of them. My second child is 8. If she asks about it, do I tell her the truth? I honestly don't remember how old I was when I found out. My husband's older brother told him when he was almost 5 years old and it crushed him. Any advice?
Usually by 10 they have heard it from their friends at school.  For my older daughter I didn't want to raise her to believe in things like Santa, and the Easter Bunny, or even the Tooth Fairy.  I now feel that was wrong of me, especially when I saw her helping her sister to believe in these things, and even going so far as to put her last few cents under her sisters pillow like the tooth fairy because I couldn't afford it.  However, I refuse to let my children believe in the Easter Bunny, which is my personal religious preference.  However my 9 yr old still believes in Santa, or so *I* think lol.  She lost a tooth recently, and we forgot to give her money under her pillow, so we had to play it off that since it was Valentine's day maybe she was running behind.  LOL

If your child starts to ask, 8 years old is about the right age, but make sure they are prepared for it.  I was 7 when my parents told me about Santa and I was so heartbroken, and angry that they had lied to me (which played a big influence in why I didn't raise my first daughter to believe in such things).

If you are worried about the older one telling the younger siblings, get them involved in being "Santa" or the "Easter Bunny", etc.  That way they learn the joy of keeping up the secret for the benefit and pleasure of the younger children.
When I was 10 I found out about santa, I was also crushed. I am an only child so I guess that's why it went on so long. I asked the question after school friends started to tease me. As for the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny, I remember going egg hunting and finding money under my pillow... but I don't remember when I stopped believing, I think I just slowly grew out of it. (it was not as exciting as santa lol) I do remember though when I was 11 I lost some teeth so I exchanged my teeth for a couple bucks with my mom :) It was still fun, like an advance on the allowance.
I was told in 2nd grade that there was not a Santa. It was sad, but I got over it, and still enjoyed the holidays.  Plus if you don't get something you want then your parents can't blame it on you being bad, and Santa not bringing it. lol  As for the tooth fairy, we still got money even though we didn't believe. I guess my parents thought with all that pain you should get something in return.  I got money up till I was in  4th grade or so when I lost most of my baby teeth.  I am 25 and still have a baby tooth, it never fell out the other one is up in the top of my mouth.  Wonder how much you get at 25 for a tooth. lol  Anyways, you don't have to be disappointed if your kids all find out, you'll still enjoy the time, and they will also.  But maybe ask your oldest not to say anything to the others and act surprised when it's that time of year.
My 4-year-old son never started believing. No matter ow hard I tried, he always mentioned "but it is just a costume..."